When will Bear's "cut-day" be?

bradjock

Last year the Bears announced they were cutting ties with Darwin Walker, Fred Miller, and Mushin Muhammed on the same day. I'm pretty sure it was around then they announced they'd extended Alex Brown and were parting with Ruben Brown.

I mainly remember this because I was home celebrating Barack Obama day, which allowed me to listen to the SCORE for 12 hours straight.

With Barack Obama day coming up this Monday, I was wondering if we'll see a similar "big day" of announcements coming soon, and if so, who's on the chopping block?

It seems that Vasher is safe. But what about Tait? Booker? Wale??? Will we officially cut ties with Lloyd, Mike Brown, Rex . . . it'll be interesting.

Last year the Bears announced they were cutting ties with Darwin Walker, Fred Miller, and Mushin Muhammed on the same day. I'm pretty sure it was around then they announced they'd extended Alex Brown and were parting with Ruben Brown.

I mainly remember this because I was home celebrating Barack Obama day, which allowed me to listen to the SCORE for 12 hours straight.

With Barack Obama day coming up this Monday, I was wondering if we'll see a similar "big day" of announcements coming soon, and if so, who's on the chopping block?

It seems that Vasher is safe. But what about Tait? Booker? Wale??? Will we officially cut ties with Lloyd, Mike Brown, Rex . . . it'll be interesting.

Last year the cuts you are talking about occurred on Feb 19th

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2008/02/19/bears-c...nd-fred-miller/

Not sure if there will be some big day like last year. You mention Lloyd, Mike brown and Rex, but all three are FAs, and thus there is no need for any announcement. Tait and Wale are safe, IMHO, for now at least. If we add a player in FA, or high in the draft, maybe then they are in trouble, but until we make an addition, I think they are fairly safe. Booker is one who might be on the way out, regardless of further additions. Then again, he too may keep his job until we do something at the WR position.

Not sure if there will be some big day like last year. You mention Lloyd, Mike brown and Rex, but all three are FAs, and thus there is no need for any announcement. Tait and Wale are safe, IMHO, for now at least. If we add a player in FA, or high in the draft, maybe then they are in trouble, but until we make an addition, I think they are fairly safe. Booker is one who might be on the way out, regardless of further additions. Then again, he too may keep his job until we do something at the WR position.

I'd rather just cut Booker ASAP. He was absolutely useless last year and I'd rather reps go to someone else. As far as Tait is concerned, I'd like to see him take a pay cut and remain on the roster as a valued backup. Agree, no need for big announcements unless we are surprised by a cut.

I have no issue simply releasing Booker. At the same time, it just would not shock we if we held on to him until we do something at the position. Lloyd is gone and I think Davis will be viewed as having a reduced role. That means our only current, legit, WRs are Hester and Bennett. If we are looking to draft, rather than sign a veteran, it would not shock me if we held on to Booker to have one experienced WR, despite his bad play last year.

As for Tait, I see no reason to expect him to take a paycut. He is in his final year, I believe. As bad as he played last year, I would bet you he would get enough interest in FA to get a deal w/ a signing bonus, and he would likely be fine forcing the team to cut him, and getting new money, rather than accepting a cut in pay.

I'd rather just cut Booker ASAP. He was absolutely useless last year and I'd rather reps go to someone else. As far as Tait is concerned, I'd like to see him take a pay cut and remain on the roster as a valued backup. Agree, no need for big announcements unless we are surprised by a cut.

Tait and Wale are safe, IMHO, for now at least. If we add a player in FA, or high in the draft, maybe then they are in trouble, but until we make an addition, I think they are fairly safe.

You're ignoring the impact of last year's cuts. We cut Moose, and gained nothing, only to lose Berrian, and announce that Mark Bradley was our #1 WR. We cut Fred Miller, and did actually gain some cap room, only so we could draft Chris Williams.

We cut two significant starters long before we had a replacement for them. I'm guessing we thought players like Booker & Lloyd would be available.

But what about the LT position? Last year at this time we had to be thinking, "St. Clair will be our starting LT." Why else would we have committed to move Tait to RT so early.

I was shocked as hell we cut Moose. Mainly because our WR's sucked and nobody else was available. Fred Miller wasn't much of a surprise, but I thought we had more of a plan then, "Hope we draft Chris Williams, if not we'll start St. Clair."