In a fight for the Starting Guard

Wesson44

Between these guys who will step up and who should we give a chance to?

Reed=practice squad

Beekman=starter

Garza=starter

Balogh=practice squad

Buenning=starter in Tampa

Metcalf=starter before

St. Clair=played there before

The two biggest factors are:

1. St. Clair: Will we resign him? If we do, will Tait retire? Will Williams stay healthy/ I could see a situation like last years where St. Clair is the starting LG, and then something happens to Williams or Tait (assuming Tait doesn't retire) and he gets moved.

2. Buenning: How good is he? Is he recovered? Also, isn't he a free agent?

IMO Metcalf is gone. He should have been cut last season but we didn't want to take the cap hit.

Between these guys who will step up and who should we give a chance to?

Reed=practice squad

Beekman=starter

Garza=starter

Balogh=practice squad

Metcalf=starter before

Assuming we resign ST Clair

LOT = Williams

LOG = Beekman (maybe Buenning)

OC = Olin K

ROG = St Clair (possibly ROT if we go High in FA or Draft for OG instead of OT).

ROT = Draft or FA

Now if Buenning is healthy, he stays, and may start.

Garza stays.

Metcalf needs to go, perios.

Reed & Balogh will have a hard time making the roster. It will be a numbers game.

If we sign Gross, I think there's no way we bring St. Clair back unless there isn't much of a market for him and he'd come fairly cheap. Otherwise, we just wouldn't be able to put that much money into the OLine.

I could see Garza being cut, but that's dependent on what we do in FA and the draft. My dream line however would be:

LT: Chris Williams | John St. Clair

LG: John St. Clair | Josh Beekman

OC: Olin Kreutz | Josh Beekman

RG: Dan Buenning | Draftee (2-4 round range)

RT: Gross | John St. Clair

All that would be missing is a developmental tackle or someone who could play C and G.

And just curious, how do they manage this under the cap? They need to free up around $7m just to tag Peppers. Doable, but it would mean numerous cuts. Are they going to start cutting players just to tag and trade Peppers?

While I think it is possible they tag Peppers, I have a harder time seeing how they both tag peppers AND resign Gross.

There's no way we'll sign Gross. He's going to get a big-time extension and they'll franchise Peppers then trade him.

Can I pick none of the above. Reed and Balogh don't make it above PS. Metcalf could be gone. St. Clair may not be in the plans for OG. He wants to play OT. I know some here are high on Buenning, but from what I have read, the staff has not cared for what they have seen, and he too may not be a big part of the plans. That leaves Beekman and Garza again.

The only way I see a change is w/ an addition not on this list.

Reed=practice squad

Beekman=starter

Garza=starter

Balogh=practice squad

Metcalf=starter before

Reed=practice squad

Beekman=starter

Garza=starter

Balogh=practice squad

Metcalf=starter before

Reed=practice squad Reed will be camp drop imo , but may make backup

Beekman=starter Remains starter

Garza=starter Relegated to the 2nd string

Balogh=practice squad PS again is we can

Buenning=starter in Tampa Starter at RG

Metcalf=starter before Experiment over, gone

St. Clair=played there beforeStarter Right tackle

Can I pick none of the above. Reed and Balogh don't make it above PS. Metcalf could be gone. St. Clair may not be in the plans for OG. He wants to play OT.

With St. Clair, does he really want to play OT, or does he just want to make the most money possible. My guess is he sees more dollar signs at the tackle position which is his primary reason for wanting to play there.

If the Bears pay him, I'm sure he'd be thrilled to play TE.

Reed=practice squad Reed will be camp drop imo , but may make backup

Beekman=starter Remains starter

Garza=starter Relegated to the 2nd string

Balogh=practice squad PS again is we can

Buenning=starter in Tampa Starter at RG

Metcalf=starter before Experiment over, gone

St. Clair=played there beforeStarter Right tackle

I think you're right, and that's what I'm afraid of.

You can say that of any player, but come on. He has played OT pretty much his entire career. He had a couple games playing inside due to injury need, but otherwise has been an OT all his career.

You can say it is just about money, but I think its as simple as OT being the position he is comfortable w/. Does that mean he wouldn't consider OG? Not saying that. But what could be interesting to see is whether he would prefer to play OT for another team, or OG for ours.

With St. Clair, does he really want to play OT, or does he just want to make the most money possible. My guess is he sees more dollar signs at the tackle position which is his primary reason for wanting to play there.

If the Bears pay him, I'm sure he'd be thrilled to play TE.

Reed = cut or at best practice squad

ditto Balogh

Metcalf...OMFG (borrowing a term from my daughter) why are we still having this conversation

I prefer to sign a starting RT in FA versus the draft as that is the best way to get our Oline good again. If that doesn't work out we'll be drafting one in Rd 1 or 2. Grab another OG in Rd 3/4.