Bucs washing hands of Garcia

ostrogoth

The Bucs have informed free agent Jeff Garcia that he is no longer in their plans.

"With a new head coach, they want somebody pulling the trigger that they can mold," said Garcia. The 39-year-old will likely have to compete for a job no matter where he lands, possibly Minnesota. The Jets have been suggested as a potential suitor, but Garcia's noodle arm makes New York a poor fit.

I think he might retire, cause the only spots I see for him is as a backup. I really think Minny is going to go for Cassel, and the Jets don't make much sense.

I'm just curious if we'll see the Bucs jump ahead of the Bears and Jets and draft Sanchez, if Sanchez falls past the 49ers (which I think he will, if the Seahawks don't take him). Hmmm, maybe the Seahawks could be a possibility for Garcia, if he'd be willing to take a backup role.

Just cause Minny is going to go after Cassel doesn't mean they will get him. If they don't, they might think long and hard about going with Garcia. I still think Leftwich and some others might be higher on Minny's list as well though. Garcia could be a fit in Chicago, but I think the Bears need to bring in QB's that they think have a shot at being a long-term solution, not just some one year stop-gap. So if you aren't going to bring in a young QB to compete with Orton, I'd rather just draft a QB early this year, let Orton try for one last season and if he struggles you make the change and turn the reigns to the young guy mid-season.