T.J. Houshmandzadeh

ostrogoth

Bengals designated K Shayne Graham as their franchise player.

While the cost to tag Graham ($2.483M) is far less than it would've been for T.J. Houshmandzadeh, this move essentially kisses Housh goodbye.

Bengals designated K Shayne Graham as their franchise player.

While the cost to tag Graham ($2.483M) is far less than it would've been for T.J. Houshmandzadeh, this move essentially kisses Housh goodbye.

Very interesting. I do not see the Bears going after him but who knows? If we were to spend big bucks in FA I would prefer OL but only time will tell what JA has in mind.

Very interesting. I do not see the Bears going after him but who knows? If we were to spend big bucks in FA I would prefer OL but only time will tell what JA has in mind.

Agreed Pix. We spent money on Moose, but back then our #1 WR was David Terrell, with Bobby Wade, Justin Gage, and a rookie Berrian. The latter three hadn't done a damn thing.

The combination of Hester & Greg Olsen makes us much better now then we were then. Yes, it's far from great, but I suspect we'll draft another WR in the first 3 rounds and sign another veteran on the cheap.

agree also....

get Gross...would be huge

I really don't think Gross is going to hit the market.

But I agree, I'd rather spend big FA money on a RT, maybe Barnes or Carey and use the first pick on another need. Normally I don't advocate taking a WR in the first, but we really need one. I guess we could sign a second tier WR like Bryant Johnson, perhaps that would make WR less of a priority.

There is no way any team gets a shot at Gross except Carolina. He's openly said he loves the organization and wants to stay there, and he's now their #1 priority after Peppers said he wants to go play in a 3-4. They'll likely franchise Peppers then trade him for picks, and give Gross a 5-6 year extension worth $8-10 per year.

Dude, you are a broken record. All you ever say is how Peppers will be tagged and traded, and Gross will re-sign w/ Carolina. What you never seem to answer is how they will do this. They have $10m in cap space, and just to tag Peppers, they need a total of $17m. That's $7m they have to free up just to tag Peppers. That doesn't even touch re-signing Gross.

So how do they work this out?

There is no way any team gets a shot at Gross except Carolina. He's openly said he loves the organization and wants to stay there, and he's now their #1 priority after Peppers said he wants to go play in a 3-4. They'll likely franchise Peppers then trade him for picks, and give Gross a 5-6 year extension worth $8-10 per year.

Dude, you are a broken record. All you ever say is how Peppers will be tagged and traded, and Gross will re-sign w/ Carolina. What you never seem to answer is how they will do this. They have $10m in cap space, and just to tag Peppers, they need a total of $17m. That's $7m they have to free up just to tag Peppers. That doesn't even touch re-signing Gross.

So how do they work this out?

I'm sure if they traded Peppers, they could come to an agreement with the team they are trading with of picking up some of the money.

I'm not sure how the tag works, but I'm fairly certain the new team either picks up half or all of the salary, or it's just the whole tag goes away and then they re-do a long term deal.

Plus, even if the Panthers had to pick up all of the contract, I'm sure there are guys who they can cut to work it out.

I'm sure if they traded Peppers, they could come to an agreement with the team they are trading with of picking up some of the money.

I'm not sure how the tag works, but I'm fairly certain the new team either picks up half or all of the salary, or it's just the whole tag goes away and then they re-do a long term deal.

Plus, even if the Panthers had to pick up all of the contract, I'm sure there are guys who they can cut to work it out.

I am fairly certain that the tag can be rescinded. The Bears did this to Raymont Harris. If they tag Peppers and he is traded, the other team can work out a new deal with him.

Peace :dabears

If they tag and trade Peppers, they will no longer be on the hook for any of the money. Essentially, they would instantly free up $17m in cap space. But that isn't the point. The point is, how do they get there?

Trades take time, and I think it is less than likely they workout a trade before FA. As they only have one tag, that means they have to re-sign Gross prior to the start of FA. They have about $10m in cap space, so that is possible. But that will wipe out the majorty of their cap space. Now, they have to find a ton more money to tag Peppers.

Is it doable? Maybe. But finding $10-15m in cap space is not as easy as you think. You can restructure (creating cap problems in the future) some, but you will also likely need to cut players, and likely some you don't want to cut.

Now think about this also. You are cutting players in order to free up cap space for a player you have no intention of keeping.

Hey, the Redskins have proven anything is possible when it comes to the cap. My point though is, the circumstances may not be there for Carolina to do everything they want. Obviously they do not want to lose either Peppers or Gross, much less w/o compensation, but they may not be in a salary cap position to have a choice in the matter.

Per NFL.COM

Early speculation on T.J. Houshmandzadeh's next landing spot centers on six teams: the Seahawks, 49ers, Titans, Ravens, Dolphins, and Eagles.

Seattle and San Fran both have needs at the position and are close to Housh's west coast roots. The Titans and Eagles are contenders without an established go-to receiver, though Tennessee has to address its own free agents and the Eagles aren't likely to spend heavily at wide receiver.