Jordan Gross signed

ostrogoth

Panthers LT Jordan Gross revealed Thursday that he has completed a multi-year contract to stay in Carolina.

"We're done," he said. Gross' deal is expected to make him the NFL's second highest paid offensive lineman, behind only Dolphins left tackle Jake Long. Gross made his first Pro Bowl last season and was voted first-team All Pro. Feb. 19 - 1:00 pm et

Source: Rock Hill Herald

View Depth Chart

Panthers | Gross agrees to terms

Thu, 19 Feb 2009 10:49:18 -0800

Adam Schefter, of the NFL Network, reports the Carolina Panthers have agreed to terms with OT Jordan Gross on a six-year deal worth just under $60 million, according to a source. Gross will be paid $30.5 million in the first three years on the contract.

View Depth Chart

Panthers | Gross agrees to terms

Thu, 19 Feb 2009 10:49:18 -0800

Adam Schefter, of the NFL Network, reports the Carolina Panthers have agreed to terms with OT Jordan Gross on a six-year deal worth just under $60 million, according to a source. Gross will be paid $30.5 million in the first three years on the contract.

Would anyone here have bithed if the Bears had signed Gross to a 6 year 70 million $$$ deal? He's 26 and the best left-tackle in football. Wouldn't 80 million over 6 years have been worth it? We easily have the cap room.

With over half the teams in the league with tons of money to spend, I'm shocked he didn't hold out for more. Looking at other o-lineman contracts:

In 2005 Orlando Pace signed a 7 year deal for 53 million. http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nf...ace-signs_x.htm

Last year Flozell Adams signed a 6 year 43 million $$$ deal.

Steve Hutchinson, 7 years 49 million in 2006

Alan Faneca, 5 years 40 million

Leonard Davis, 7 years 50 million

Derek Dockery, 7 years 50 million

If these guys are worth that, isn't Gross worth more?

I'm not saying that's not one helluva a lot of money. It's just that Bernard Berrian is a good but not great WR, who's more ideal to be a #2, a 6 year 43 million $$$ deal. That's relatively "crazy money." I expected a young and dominating player who mans the 2nd most difficult position in football to get a lot more then 60 million.

I don't get it.

From what I read, he signed the richest OT contract ever. The deal Jake Long signed last year was greater, but that is a bit different as Long was a #1 draft pick, and our stupid A system allows a top rookie to sign a deal greater than the most proven veterans. Anyway, the point is, Gross signed the richest FA OT contract ever, so it is more than just a great deal, it is a record setter.

Could he have hit FA and potentially gotten more. I would agree that would be very possible. But he has said all along he wanted to stay in Carolina. That is the team that drafted him. It is the city where his family lives and has laid down roots. Not every player in the league looks to bleed every penny out of a team. Most players, IMHO, do factor things other than just money. Now, if Carolina didn't step up w/ a deal as large as they did, those factors may mean less, but the combo of his wanting to remain a Panther and Carolina making him the top paid veteran OT was enough to get the deal done.

Players may have the rep (thanks to agents like Rosenarce) for caring about nothing but money, but I think many (if not most) do factor more than just money. How many players have we ourselves been able to re-sign, who may have hit FA and gotten a few more dollars?

Would anyone here have bithed if the Bears had signed Gross to a 6 year 70 million $$$ deal? He's 26 and the best left-tackle in football. Wouldn't 80 million over 6 years have been worth it? We easily have the cap room.

With over half the teams in the league with tons of money to spend, I'm shocked he didn't hold out for more. Looking at other o-lineman contracts:

In 2005 Orlando Pace signed a 7 year deal for 53 million. http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nf...ace-signs_x.htm

Last year Flozell Adams signed a 6 year 43 million $$$ deal.

Steve Hutchinson, 7 years 49 million in 2006

Alan Faneca, 5 years 40 million

Leonard Davis, 7 years 50 million

Derek Dockery, 7 years 50 million

If these guys are worth that, isn't Gross worth more?

I'm not saying that's not one helluva a lot of money. It's just that Bernard Berrian is a good but not great WR, who's more ideal to be a #2, a 6 year 43 million $$$ deal. That's relatively "crazy money." I expected a young and dominating player who mans the 2nd most difficult position in football to get a lot more then 60 million.

I don't get it.