Peppers tagged

nfoligno

Just saw where Peppers was tagged. What I would love to see explained is, how this was done w/in the cap. All reports previously had Carolina w/ $10m in cap space, and yet they somehow signed Gross to a massive deal AND tagged Peppers, which will count a bit under $17m against the cap. I have no idea how they were able to do this.

The only thing I can think of is, maybe this is a time of the year teams are allowed to be over the cap, which I suppose would allow them to get this done. If that is in fact the case, it only further points to Carolina trading Peppers, as at some point, they would have to be under the cap, and would likely have to make massive moves to get under.

Just saw where Peppers was tagged. What I would love to see explained is, how this was done w/in the cap. All reports previously had Carolina w/ $10m in cap space, and yet they somehow signed Gross to a massive deal AND tagged Peppers, which will count a bit under $17m against the cap. I have no idea how they were able to do this.

The only thing I can think of is, maybe this is a time of the year teams are allowed to be over the cap, which I suppose would allow them to get this done. If that is in fact the case, it only further points to Carolina trading Peppers, as at some point, they would have to be under the cap, and would likely have to make massive moves to get under.

According to this site: http://www.askthecommish.com/salarycap/faq.asp the date is Feb 27th (see question 1.9a). I.e when free agency starts. That means that the Panthers just bought them self 8 days to make a trade.

Since the contracts are for the upcoming season, wouldn't they have until February 2010 to get under the cap (if there is a cap then . . . )

For instance, any player the Bears sign in free agency for the 2009 season, wouldn't be applied to the cap until the end of the season. Why would it hurt them immediately to sign Peppers for next year? I don't know jack about the cap, and I could be way off, but that just makes sense to me.

If I am way off, I'd expect there to be a ton of "Washington Redskin Type" restructuring done very quickly. This doesn't surprise me only because teams always seem to be able to do whatever the hell they want to do.

On a conspiracy theory note, doesn't it seem strange that teams seemingly have more money to spend then ever, yet so few free agents are hitting the market? What made Gross decide his best deal was to resign? Half the teams in the league have 20 million to spend, and Gross doesn't want to test those waters?

It could be collusion or the economy, but it seems like most teams are going to remain WAY under the cap this year. Assuming the Bears have 27 million to spend as LT suggested, I can't imagine we'll get close to spending that much.

They're saying Suggs likely will get slapped with the tag. After that, who's there really left for teams to spend that kind of dough on?

Why are guys like Gross willing to resign early when it appears to be a seller's market?

The short answer is that the Panthers don't have to be under the 2009 cap until the 2009 league year begins on the 27th. I don't have all the numbers, but have read that Ken Lucas and DJ Hackett can be released to free up more space.

I would also add that the number of $10 mil under also doesn't include any money they pushed forward from last year. I'll look into it further.

Why are guys like Gross willing to resign early when it appears to be a seller's market?

For a player like Gross, I think the answer may simply be he wanted to stay w/ Carolina. Sure, money is always a factor w/ FAs, but at the same time, if the team that drafted them and the team they have always been w/ offers a deal which is considered not only fair, but pays him like the top player at his position, I think it understandable he passes on FA. If Carolina didn't make an offer as great as it did, money may then trump loyalty and roots, but w/ the offer made, he was able to become one of the top paid OTs, while also staying w/ the team he said all along he wanted to remain w/.

For different reasons, you have the CB from Oakland. I think the reason he signed was less wanting to stick w/ Oakland, and more about his wanting the big contract rather than dealing w/ the tag, which he knew was coming if he didn't sign.

All I ever did was ask how it would be possible. I asked you this many times and I do not recall you ever giving an answer. I had not considered that teams do not have to be under the cap for another week or so. If you had provided that answer, which I asked for many times, I would have absolutely backed off the statement, but that answer was never provided.

Now, what i think will be interesting is what happens now. Per Lt2, and others, teams have to be under the cap once FA begins. That gives Carolina one week to make a deal. Will they now just take the best offer available to them? I think it will be intersting to see what happens if they do not get any great offers for Peppers in the next week, and what they do then. Do they start cutting a bunch of players in order to keep the tag on him, or would they be forced to remove the tag.

BUT THEY CAN'T SIGN GROSS AND TAG PEPPERS!!!!! RIGHT NFO?!!!

:banghead

The Panthers had $5 mil in cap space later in the year last year and probably pushed that forward to give them $15 mil in cap space. Also, the deal for Gross could have a cap hit as low as $5 mil meaning that they would only have to clear $7 mil in cap space to be under. At that point, they would have to clear more space to sign their rookies, but they probably would have traded Peppers long before then.