Round 1 Choice

ASHKUM BEAR

Got this idea off another board and thought it would be interesting to see your thoughts.

What one player would you like to see the Bears draft and why. Try to include some player information/draft profile.

(Please keep to players that are reasonable at 18 and with no trades.)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Michael Oher OT 6-6 322 Ole Miss [RT]

(Even though this scenerio is very unlikely, some mocks have had Oher sliding lately and the Bears have talked to him.)

Oher would be a steal at 18, even though he is better suited to play the LT which the Bears filled in last years draft with Chris Williams. Oher has long arms to keep defenders off of him in pass protection and very good feet to help steer them away from the QB. He is also known as a good run blocker and can drive players off the line opening up huge holes for the RB. His durability is not in question either as he started all but one game in his 4 year career (and C. Williams also had a big streak intact also). The only question scouts/player personnel may ask is whether he can learn the plays in the NFL as he had a difficult upbringing.

Drafting Oher in the first could have the Bears set at the OT's for years to come and can give them an opportunity to really evaluate the offense. A great line will give each skills player a higher notch as they will give them more time and keep bodies off of them. Once the line is set, then get your QB/WR combo.

Love the post Ashkum!

I will vote with my cranium first... I agree w/ Oher 100% and think you nailed the profile.

I, as many already know, will now vote with my heart...and that is Laurinaitis. I fear we may lose Urlacher very soon, and he has the pedigree and toughness to fill in those shoes. We can work him in certain schemes in other parts of the D (OLB in certain schemes...maybe even DE on occassion....give Url some rest...) I loved our last Lithuanian LB, Dick Butkus, so as my namesake states...you can well imagine I'm fully biassed! He basically doesn't help us now, but he helps us in the next few years. I see him doing what Harrison did for PIT before Porter got shipped to Miami...

Got this idea off another board and thought it would be interesting to see your thoughts.

What one player would you like to see the Bears draft and why. Try to include some player information/draft profile.

(Please keep to players that are reasonable at 18 and with no trades.)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Michael Oher OT 6-6 322 Ole Miss [RT]

(Even though this scenerio is very unlikely, some mocks have had Oher sliding lately and the Bears have talked to him.)

Oher would be a steal at 18, even though he is better suited to play the LT which the Bears filled in last years draft with Chris Williams. Oher has long arms to keep defenders off of him in pass protection and very good feet to help steer them away from the QB. He is also known as a good run blocker and can drive players off the line opening up huge holes for the RB. His durability is not in question either as he started all but one game in his 4 year career (and C. Williams also had a big streak intact also). The only question scouts/player personnel may ask is whether he can learn the plays in the NFL as he had a difficult upbringing.

Drafting Oher in the first could have the Bears set at the OT's for years to come and can give them an opportunity to really evaluate the offense. A great line will give each skills player a higher notch as they will give them more time and keep bodies off of them. Once the line is set, then get your QB/WR combo.

Love the post Ashkum!

I will vote with my cranium first... I agree w/ Oher 100% and think you nailed the profile.

I, as many already know, will now vote with my heart...and that is Laurinaitis. I fear we may lose Urlacher very soon, and he has the pedigree and toughness to fill in those shoes. We can work him in certain schemes in other parts of the D (OLB in certain schemes...maybe even DE on occassion....give Url some rest...) I loved our last Lithuanian LB, Dick Butkus, so as my namesake states...you can well imagine I'm fully biassed! He basically doesn't help us now, but he helps us in the next few years. I see him doing what Harrison did for PIT before Porter got shipped to Miami...

IMHO for me in the first round it would be either Michael Oher OT or Heyward-Bey WR

Oher for reasons I've already outlined but here goes again: Reason #1.. He is strong enough to play RT and he's good enough to be our backup LT. Reason #2..we need a good RT.

Oher only repped 21 times on the bench, so I'm not sure I 100% agree that he's strong enough to play RT. That rep total is a big red flag for me--it shows he didn't put in the hours in the weight room and makes me wonder if he has the drive to be a star in the NFL.

MY choice is to trade back later in the first, pick up Hakeem Nicks, and take Nate Davis with the extra 2nd rounder we pick up by trading back. Does that count?

This is a weak RT draft. Today while watching the combine, guys like Oher didn't look too good and neither did Fenuki Tupou from Oregon or Phil Loadholt who many around here love. His feet are too slow and it's sickening.

I was heavily impressed by Jamon Meredith from South Carolina who many believe will be a RT in the NFL. He looked very athletic with great foot work.

Oher only repped 21 times on the bench, so I'm not sure I 100% agree that he's strong enough to play RT. That rep total is a big red flag for me--it shows he didn't put in the hours in the weight room and makes me wonder if he has the drive to be a star in the NFL.

MY choice is to trade back later in the first, pick up Hakeem Nicks, and take Nate Davis with the extra 2nd rounder we pick up by trading back. Does that count?

Part of the low rep may be to his extradonary long arm length. Long arm guys typically do less reps. OT tackels need great footwork and technique over brut strength and little agility. Just a few factual comments and we really do not know his commitment to weight lifting anyway.

Part of the low rep may be to his extradonary long arm length. Long arm guys typically do less reps. OT tackels need great footwork and technique over brut strength and little agility. Just a few factual comments and we really do not know his commitment to weight lifting anyway.

LTs need footwork and technique more than brute strength, but they need a lot of strength too. RT are more dependent on strength than foot quickness because they don't have to deal with as many speed rushers on the edge, and they have more of a role in the running game, which is dependent on strength. Particularly on a run-heavy team like ours, we don't want a weak RT. And while having long arms makes the bench more difficult, someone with his size, if they put in the hours in the weight room, should be able to do better than 21 reps. Jake Long has long arms too and did 37 reps last year. The knock on Oher all along has been whether he has the dedication to play at the highest level, and doing only 21 reps supports that concern.

Love the post Ashkum!

I agree with you Madman. I would first of want Oher unless we land a stud OLine in FA. If we grab a stud Oline in FA I would love Laurinitis. I have seen enough of his games and I think he is a beast. He is extremely intelligent and believe he could adapt to playing both Will and Mike positions. You hit it on the head about Urlacher and his back problems as well. If Urlacher returns 100%. Then we have a GREAT LB crew with Briggs, Urlacher and Laur. That would be unbelievely. Plus Laurinitis plays fast thus Lovie is probably looking at him already. I honestly don't think we will take a LB in the 1st but we can always dream. But only if we land a stud FA Oline.

I agree with you Madman. I would first of want Oher unless we land a stud OLine in FA. If we grab a stud Oline in FA I would love Laurinitis. I have seen enough of his games and I think he is a beast. He is extremely intelligent and believe he could adapt to playing both Will and Mike positions. You hit it on the head about Urlacher and his back problems as well. If Urlacher returns 100%. Then we have a GREAT LB crew with Briggs, Urlacher and Laur. That would be unbelievely. Plus Laurinitis plays fast thus Lovie is probably looking at him already. I honestly don't think we will take a LB in the 1st but we can always dream. But only if we land a stud FA Oline.

IMO, Laurainitis is overrated. He's surrounded by tons of talent, he isn't a great blitzer, he isn't that physical, he doesn't shed blocks well, and he isn't overly powerful or fast.

Maualuga > Laurainitis

Assuming that WR's Macklin and Crabtree are gone I am taking

William Beatty, OT

Height:6'6"

Weight:307

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/willia...le-tab-analysis

Overview

A talented athlete capable of becoming one of the surprises of the 2009 draft. In a talented left tackle class, Beatty might be the best combination run blocker. Beatty's burst to the second level and explosive initial pop helped Donald Brown to a 2,000-yard season in 2008. Beatty demonstrated more than enough athleticism to protect the passer, though he was not a true blindside protector when lefty Jared Lorenzen was under center. The concern is that Beatty's level of play spiked dramatically as a senior, forcing scouts to determine if Beatty matured as a senior or was motivated by the promise of a big NFL paycheck. Had an arm span of 34 3/4 inches and a hand span of 10 inches at the combine.

Analysis

Positives: Intriguing athleticism. ... Gets to the second level quickly. ... Good agility and straight-line speed to pull. ... Explosive initial pop. ... Flashes upper-body strength to lift and pancake defenders. ... Flashes an effective initial punch and has the body control to recoil and ease into his set. ... Good lateral quickness in pass protection. ... Good balance. ... Ascending talent despite starting four years. ... Characterized by UConn staff as having greatly matured as a senior. ... Could be just scratching the surface of his potential.

Negatives: Doesn't always sustain his blocks long enough. ... Good straight-line speed, but loses his feet in the trash. ... Potential one-year wonder. ... Really stepped up his level of play as a senior, sparking some debate whether his level of play will diminish once he's cashed an NFL paycheck. ... Earned no postseason accolades over his first three seasons, but earned first-team All-Big East honors as a senior. ... Broken leg that ended his sophomore season after only seven games requires a medical check at the Combine.

Our OL just has too many questions marks right now to not address in RD 1 and then WR becomes the focus of RD 2 and go after Nicks or Robinskie both should complement Hester. I would even consider drafting 2 WR this year if Robinskie fell to the Rd 3.

If we go after a WR or QB in Rd 1 then I'd be happy with Eben Britton OT in Rd 2. He's young and still needs some work on his game but I really like the way he plays the game, with a lot of passion. Down the road I think he'll work himself into one of the better RT in the league. Resign St Clair and let these two battle for the starting role. Britton might slide inside for a season if he's good enough but a year on the bench wouldn't be the worst thing for him.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/556821

Great replies and thanks!!! I see some replies for LB, but what would you think if the OT, WR, and DE were gone and Moreno/Wells were both available at 18. We do need a #2 RB and if one of those were availlable and we couldn't trade down, would you take one of those or reach for a bigger need?

Great replies and thanks!!! I see some replies for LB, but what would you think if the OT, WR, and DE were gone and Moreno/Wells were both available at 18. We do need a #2 RB and if one of those were availlable and we couldn't trade down, would you take one of those or reach for a bigger need?

I'll go position-by-position here:

This year's class of running backs is so deep that I'd be hesitant to spend a first on one, even if there's a back of Moreno's caliber available. There aren't that many teams in desperate need of a back either, so I think it's pretty likely that, when you look at the top 10 backs in the draft, at least a couple are going to last until the second day. The Bears could use a good power back, but I'd much rather have Andre Brown, Shonn Greene, or Rashad Jennings in the 3rd/4th than Wells in the 1st.

I'd be OK with Oher as the first-round pick, so long as they're pretty confident he'll work out mentally. His bench doesn't concern me that much: even though some good tackles put up good numbers there, some very good ones only do average. Yeah, Jake Long had 37 reps, but Ryan Clady had 24 and Jeff Otah had 27. Remember when that guy Ramirez put up 40 reps? He's not doing a whole lot with the Lions now.

Honestly, the only linebacker I'd want with the Bears' first pick is Aaron Curry, and there's no way he's falling to 18. If they're going to go linebacker, though, I'd rather trade up to get him than take Laurinaitis. Laurinaitis is smart and he's good in coverage, but he's got a ton of holes in his game. I'd be surprised if he ends up anything more than a slightly above-average starter.

Defensive end just isn't a need that has to be addressed early. We need a situational pass-rushing end, and this draft is absolutely stocked with them. Plus, I do trust Angelo to make good second-day picks on defense - he's got a very good track record when it comes to that. Even if we needed to immediately replace Brown or Ogunleye as a base end, I'd be looking at somebody like Kruger from Utah in the 2nd.

Ideally, I'd like the Bears to go defensive back with the first pick, barring some can't-miss guy like Curry or Crabtree dropping precipitously. That's assuming that they're going to add a decent lineman in free agency, then draft another one in the later rounds. If they address DB pretty substantially in FA, I'd be OK with getting a lineman in the first. Either way, I'd like to see a receiver like Nicks or Robiskie in the second.

alot of people are saying malcolm jenkins is falling due to the fact that teams think he may be a safety...given the lack of safety depth in the draft and the fact that virtually nobody on this roster can play free, jenkins might be a perfect fit if he manages to somehow fall to 18...

Oher would be nice...he is considered a road grading tackle and should fit into our system well

Aaron Maybin would fit the pass rushing DE need, but he will likely be gone as well, and may be a better fit as 3-4 rush LB

I really wish we were picking about 4 spots higher...at 18 it seems like you are falling into the second tier of players at positions like OT, DE and WR and at about 14 i think we could still get a top guy at one of those spots

BTW I believe Williams did only 21 reps...frankly i dont think it means a whole lot...i know guys lift a ton in college, but if a guy isn't as strong right now as youd hope, it could mean he has room to add bulk when they get into a professional lifting program

alot of people are saying malcolm jenkins is falling due to the fact that teams think he may be a safety...given the lack of safety depth in the draft and the fact that virtually nobody on this roster can play free, jenkins might be a perfect fit if he manages to somehow fall to 18...

Oher would be nice...he is considered a road grading tackle and should fit into our system well

Aaron Maybin would fit the pass rushing DE need, but he will likely be gone as well, and may be a better fit as 3-4 rush LB

I really wish we were picking about 4 spots higher...at 18 it seems like you are falling into the second tier of players at positions like OT, DE and WR and at about 14 i think we could still get a top guy at one of those spots

BTW I believe Williams did only 21 reps...frankly i dont think it means a whole lot...i know guys lift a ton in college, but if a guy isn't as strong right now as youd hope, it could mean he has room to add bulk when they get into a professional lifting program

I keep looking back at walterfootball and theny have been keeping with Pass Rushing DE for us but they have been going back and forth between Larry English and Michael Johnson.

just looking at some 40 times for WR...knowing the bears love em good 40s...

Harvin ran a 4.37

Maclin came in a bit slower than I thought he would at 4.40, but still very respectable

Heyward Bey ran a 4.32..pretty impressive

Nicks ran a 4.49

Robiskie 4.51

Johnny Knox out of Abiliene Christian (D. mannings alma Mater) ran a 4.25....Chris Johnson 4.27 last year shot him up, this kid should be a big riser

just looking at some 40 times for WR...knowing the bears love em good 40s...

Harvin ran a 4.37

Maclin came in a bit slower than I thought he would at 4.40, but still very respectable

Heyward Bey ran a 4.32..pretty impressive

Nicks ran a 4.49

Robiskie 4.51

Johnny Knox out of Abiliene Christian (D. mannings alma Mater) ran a 4.25....Chris Johnson 4.27 last year shot him up, this kid should be a big riser

Man, I've been glued to The NFL channel the last two days. I think with this years draft, we need to find a RT in RD1 and with all the WR's we can get a good one in RD2. Remember last year, there wasn't one WR drafted in RD1. The guys I would love to get:

Kenny Britt-Built like TO

Darius Heyward-Bey-Amazing speed

Hakeem Nicks-Compared to Boldin

Brian Robiskie - He could be the steal of the draft

Mike Wallace - also impressed me not only w/ his 4.33 speed, but with his hands and other drills

That would PISS ME OFF. It would be an absolutely atrocious selection when considering the needs of this team. It would be just like the Curtis Enis selection, and the Cedric Benson selection: a RB when it's not needed.