Round 1 Choice

ASHKUM BEAR

WR looks to be pretty deep this year so I think we wait until Rd 2 especially now that guys like DHB ran so fast. Some teams will fall in love with his speed and size and forget that he's going to need a lot of work and draft him early. As far as I'm concerned that should help an OT drop to us.

I think you and I are taking glasses from the same beer tap! :cheers

I agree with you Madman. I would first of want Oher unless we land a stud OLine in FA. If we grab a stud Oline in FA I would love Laurinitis. I have seen enough of his games and I think he is a beast. He is extremely intelligent and believe he could adapt to playing both Will and Mike positions. You hit it on the head about Urlacher and his back problems as well. If Urlacher returns 100%. Then we have a GREAT LB crew with Briggs, Urlacher and Laur. That would be unbelievely. Plus Laurinitis plays fast thus Lovie is probably looking at him already. I honestly don't think we will take a LB in the 1st but we can always dream. But only if we land a stud FA Oline.

I do think Maualuga is a bit better, but I think he'll definitely be gone...thus giving the Bears a small shot at seeing Laurinaitis fall to 18.

IMO, Laurainitis is overrated. He's surrounded by tons of talent, he isn't a great blitzer, he isn't that physical, he doesn't shed blocks well, and he isn't overly powerful or fast.

Maualuga > Laurainitis

I would be happy with Oher at 18 but I gotta tell ya, watching Michael Johnson on film at the combine makes me think about 6'7" 270 lbs being alot to pass up if he's there. If we believe all the NFL know it alls, we now have the best D line coach in the game, with this guys size and Marinelli's bra.. ya know what? Nevermind, I just like him at 18.

I keep looking back at walterfootball and theny have been keeping with Pass Rushing DE for us but they have been going back and forth between Larry English and Michael Johnson.

I want neither one of them for the first two rounds we have stronger needs than a DE right now like WR OT FS

I want neither one of them for the first two rounds we have stronger needs than a DE right now like WR OT FS

NO, we don't. This football team desparately NEEDS a pass rush. WR is not gonna happen rd 1. This football team needs to build it's lines before they worry about anything else. As I said, I would be happy with OT with the first but don't kid yourself, our lines need fixing first and foremost.

For those of you saying that Oher is a better LT prospect, lets remember that some experts thought that Williams better projected as a RT. Whose to say the Bears don't go with someone like Oher and use Williams as the RT.

thats not at all how i see it...Williams coming out was a LT all the way...He's a finesse pass protector on the QBs blind side...only gave up 1 sack in 2 years playing in the SEC (I believe it may have been to lamar woodley at michigan as well), while he was not seen as much of a run blocker and needed to add strength...Oher supposedly has trouble with footwork but once locked on apparently is a force driving opponents back...To me those skill sets say Williams LT, Oher RT

I agree that those 3 positions are huge needs...DE IMO is a huge need though...i thought our drop off in D last year was a direct result of not being able to rush the passer....as nice of a player as Alex Brown has become vs. the run, he simply doesn't get to the QB anymore, and Ogun was terrible last year and his contract is up after this year...you are probably right though, I think at DE we have the most adequate veterans of those 4 positions, but the front 4 is just so important in our scheme you really need to have at least one well above average pass rusher

While I ca not necessarily disagree w/ anything you are saying, I think the key is this. W/ Lovie taking over for Babich, and Marinelli at DL, do we have reason to believe/hope/expect improved play from those currently on the team? I would say absolutely. I always questioned how much of our weak DL play was simply about talent, rather than coaching. Well, we now have coaching in place that is more likely to get more out of what we have.

But can the same be said about WR, OT and S? Are the problems we have seen at those areas simply about coaching, or is it that we just lack talent at those positions.

Think veggies. I would say we have turnips at OT, WR and S. You just can't squeeze jack out of a group of turnips. At DL, we have tomatoes. I am not saying they are the most ripe tomatoes, but there is a good chance you are going to get something out of them if you squeeze.

I agree that those 3 positions are huge needs...DE IMO is a huge need though...i thought our drop off in D last year was a direct result of not being able to rush the passer....as nice of a player as Alex Brown has become vs. the run, he simply doesn't get to the QB anymore, and Ogun was terrible last year and his contract is up after this year...you are probably right though, I think at DE we have the most adequate veterans of those 4 positions, but the front 4 is just so important in our scheme you really need to have at least one well above average pass rusher

While I ca not necessarily disagree w/ anything you are saying, I think the key is this. W/ Lovie taking over for Babich, and Marinelli at DL, do we have reason to believe/hope/expect improved play from those currently on the team? I would say absolutely. I always questioned how much of our weak DL play was simply about talent, rather than coaching. Well, we now have coaching in place that is more likely to get more out of what we have.

But can the same be said about WR, OT and S? Are the problems we have seen at those areas simply about coaching, or is it that we just lack talent at those positions.

Think veggies. I would say we have turnips at OT, WR and S. You just can't squeeze jack out of a group of turnips. At DL, we have tomatoes. I am not saying they are the most ripe tomatoes, but there is a good chance you are going to get something out of them if you squeeze.

With greater OL you can squeeze more out of the WR's due to a greater threat of play action and more plays that require 5 step drops. Add to that, Hester will be solid next year. Safety is a barren wasteland. At some point you have to have a greater treat at DL. My rating would be OL, S, DE and WR. I essentially agree with both assessments.