Sounds like Bears are trying to lock down St. Clair

Connorbear

Mulligan mentions that the starting point for starting tackles is 5 million per. That easily explains why the Bears have not been very aggressive in pursuing him. Especially since St. Clair is 32.

Now it's become a matter of desperation more then anything else.

If we have to start Chris Williams opposite a rookie, we might as well start preparing for the 2010 draft.

Mulligan mentions that the starting point for starting tackles is 5 million per. That easily explains why the Bears have not been very aggressive in pursuing him. Especially since St. Clair is 32.

Now it's become a matter of desperation more then anything else.

If we have to start Chris Williams opposite a rookie, we might as well start preparing for the 2010 draft.

Unless that rookie is Oher.

Unless that rookie is Oher.

I never liked the idea we'd planned on starting Chris Williams at LT as a rookie. Terrible idea IMO. Thank christ we had a back-up plan with St. Clair.

Williams is STILL an unknown. We need a back-up plan. AND we need a starting RT. IMO, we need to sign St. Clair, AND draft Oher.

I never liked the idea we'd planned on starting Chris Williams at LT as a rookie. Terrible idea IMO. Thank christ we had a back-up plan with St. Clair.

Williams is STILL an unknown. We need a back-up plan. AND we need a starting RT. IMO, we need to sign St. Clair, AND draft Oher.

A lot of people get good results from rookie LTs. Before Williams' back injury was news, I thought he'd basically be a redux of D'Brickashaw Ferguson, and Brick was definitely good enough to start his first year.

Oher, though, I don't know. He's got great strength and mobility, but he's not even close to as polished as Williams was coming out of college. It wouldn't surprise me if he takes at least a year to really develop. That said, they could do a lot worse than resigning St. Clair as the starting RT and drafting Oher to take over in a year or two. If Williams is healthy, he and St. Clair should be at least above-average as bookends; two years from now, Williams/Oher could be WAY above average.

A lot of people get good results from rookie LTs. Before Williams' back injury was news, I thought he'd basically be a redux of D'Brickashaw Ferguson, and Brick was definitely good enough to start his first year.

Oher, though, I don't know. He's got great strength and mobility, but he's not even close to as polished as Williams was coming out of college. It wouldn't surprise me if he takes at least a year to really develop. That said, they could do a lot worse than resigning St. Clair as the starting RT and drafting Oher to take over in a year or two. If Williams is healthy, he and St. Clair should be at least above-average as bookends; two years from now, Williams/Oher could be WAY above average.

I had no problem with intending to start Williams since St. Clair was in the mix. If Williams was hurt or terrible, we had an ok back-up plan.

If we're going to have not one but two totally inexperienced players, we'd better have at least one damn good back-up.