• Kenny Britt WR Rutgers
  3. 3. Round 3 Pick 85

• Jarius Byrd DB Oregon
    • Donald Brown RB Connecticut
    • Rashard Jennings RB Liberty
    • Jason Watkins OT Florida
    • Jarron Gilbert DE San Jose St
    • Nic Harris SS/OLB Oklahoma

I thought it would be fun to do a weekly or bi-weekly draft poll. I used Walterfootball.com to give us a choice of where they have them ranked. Walterfootball has decent rankings and they update every Thursday. Tomorrows version should be interesting to see where players shift to since the combine.

I might post Talk Bears Mock version II over the weekend once the mock draft web pages all get updated.

My votes as of today: Michael Johnson DE, Brian Robiskie WR, Donald Brown RB b/c they all were awesome at the combine. (Jarius Byrd was very close, but I hope David Bruton FS Notre Dame is there w/ the BB comp pick)

Thanks Ashkum Bear for putting this together and I think it was a fantastic idea!!! Now we can have voting records like politicians.

I voted for

OT William Beatty -- gives us another potential starting LT but should be able to compete at RT as a rookie

WR Brian Robiskie -- this guy is a pro receiver and will step in as a rookie like eddie royal was able to do for the broncos last year. Very solid pick!

RB Donald Brown -- becasue the offense needs help and this guy would be a good fit. Would be very happy with Jarius Byrd DB Oregon because he could compete at a need of FS as well.

Why the hell would we draft Beatty?

1, he is no where freaking close to being worth the 18th pick. 2, he's like a much more raw version of Chris Williams and really only projects to LT or G (in a ZBS).

Not to mention this thread is missing several choices in each round.

Oh yeah, if Malcolm Jenkins somehow manages to fall to 18, there should be no way we pass on him unless Orakpo, Everrette Brown, Sanchez, Oher, or Andre Smith fall to 18 as well.

Gotta ask. You have a player regarded as a top 10 pick (Jenkins) falling to us, but do not even offer Oher or Smith as potential drops. Yea, I know about Jenkins combine, but if you are going to use that logic, then Oher and Smith should be choices as well.

Also, why not have Duke Robinson in there for the 2nd round?

I thought it would be fun to do a weekly or bi-weekly draft poll. I used Walterfootball.com to give us a choice of where they have them ranked. Walterfootball has decent rankings and they update every Thursday. Tomorrows version should be interesting to see where players shift to since the combine.

I might post Talk Bears Mock version II over the weekend once the mock draft web pages all get updated.

My votes as of today: Michael Johnson DE, Brian Robiskie WR, Donald Brown RB b/c they all were awesome at the combine. (Jarius Byrd was very close, but I hope David Bruton FS Notre Dame is there w/ the BB comp pick)

Why the hell would we draft Beatty?

1, he is no where freaking close to being worth the 18th pick. 2, he's like a much more raw version of Chris Williams and really only projects to LT or G (in a ZBS).

Not to mention this thread is missing several choices in each round.

Oh yeah, if Malcolm Jenkins somehow manages to fall to 18, there should be no way we pass on him unless Orakpo, Everrette Brown, Sanchez, Oher, or Andre Smith fall to 18 as well.

The only reason Beatty was added was b/c he was the only lineman on Walterfootballs list within range of our pick. The kid for Arz was available too, just a few slots further than Beatty. Remember last year, teams like ATL/HOU took 2nd RD grade players in the 1st as OT's are higher value picks.

I dropped Jenkins as they had him at 8 (yesterday) b/c he is bound to drop and V Davis should pass him as top CB.

This is just for fun and I'd like to do a weekly/bi-weekly poll to see how we pick.

The only reason Beatty was added was b/c he was the only lineman on Walterfootballs list within range of our pick. The kid for Arz was available too, just a few slots further than Beatty. Remember last year, teams like ATL/HOU took 2nd RD grade players in the 1st as OT's are higher value picks.

I dropped Jenkins as they had him at 8 (yesterday) b/c he is bound to drop and V Davis should pass him as top CB.

This is just for fun and I'd like to do a weekly/bi-weekly poll to see how we pick.

I took Jenkins-Britt in the first 2 rounds. This is predicated on us getting a real RT before the draft (Stinchcomb and Barnes would be my top 2 options), which is a must.

Jenkins could be a pro-bowl caliber FS for us, which would make more difference to the D than any other draft pick or FA singing.

I think Britt has the talent to be a pro-bowl caliber WR, his physical style suits us, he just needs to not become an a-hole.

Great post Ashkum!

R1: Shocker...Laurinaitis LB OSU

R2: Solid OT ...Loadholdt OT Ok

R3: Wolis OT2 ...Watkins OT Fl

Shoring up the OL, while bracing for a future at LB...

Buzzkill!

;)

Gotta ask. You have a player regarded as a top 10 pick (Jenkins) falling to us, but do not even offer Oher or Smith as potential drops. Yea, I know about Jenkins combine, but if you are going to use that logic, then Oher and Smith should be choices as well.

You seriously went with a RB in the third round?

This is actually a good idea, but the selections are far too limited.

Great post Ashkum!

Laurinaitis? I mean, he's good and all, but that would be a ridiculous first round pick for the Bears.

I know...I'm on the pipe...but I'm super biassed.

1. I'm a Bear fan, so inherently, I love LB's...

2. Urlacher is showing signs of wear...I fear no replacement in the mix will mean utter doom

3. Laurinaitis has a good pedigree, from a good school, has won a ton of awards, has shown pretty good character, is supposedly a hard worker...

4. He's the son of the Road Warrior!

5. He's Lithuanian!

6. I'm Lithuanian!

7. Dick Butkus was Lithuanian!

...I'm just biassed. I really didn't groove on any of the other names in the 1st round. Had Oher or maybe a few other been up there, I'd have thought about it. i want OL bad...but I won't just take any...and I won't pass up a guy who I think will make a huge positive impact. It's not a glaring hole by any means. Right now. But I don't trust JA to do anything well for the right now. I'm thinking about having a solid core when the next regime hits town.

I know I'm out on a limb...an fiully admit so. But, I'd pull that trigger if it were me, and all the board would probably blast me... Until 2 years when we have a dominant D again because of him! ;)

...I'll put down the spiked kool-aid now.

Laurinaitis? I mean, he's good and all, but that would be a ridiculous first round pick for the Bears.

At some point I'll set up and run another full board Mock Draft if we can get the people, and then we can see who drops for us. I just thought it was too soon, what with the Combine just finishing and FA just starting.

You seriously went with a RB in the third round?

This is actually a good idea, but the selections are far too limited.

The guys I chose really stood out at the combine and even though having another young stud RB is a luxuary, he stood out the most when I selected.

As for the selections, I used walterfootball.com and at the time they haven't updated since the combine. They just updated Thursday, so I'll do another one with these updates during the weekend. I like their site b/c they have 4 rds and are realistic IMO and as for this site, I can only do 3 polls (RDS) and 6 players per RD. I tried to give an option at positions we may be considering.

I figured Jenkins would fall further than Oher b/c w/ Smith pulling his crap teams might grade Oher slightly higher. Oher/Smith will most likely be gone before 18, but Jenkins may end up making it to us. As of Thursday, walterfootball just updated there site and they have Smith @ 13 to WAS, Jenkins @ 14 to NO, M. Johnson @ 15 to HOU, and Oher @ 16 to SD. That leaves us w/ English, Moreno, Beatty, Britton, DJ Moore, Maualuga, Maybin, Maclin, Nicks, or Robinson to finish out the first.

Thats also why I didn't have Robinson as a 2nd, b/c walter had him going as a high 2nd RD pick.

But if you are using Walter, why do you have Jenkins falling to us?

I guess that is the thing. I know Jenkins had the weaker than expected 40, but he is still considered likely to be gone. Just seemed a bit odd to have him slip to us, and yet not either of the two OTs so many feel are falling.

Then again, maybe it is just me and my OL or bust attitude.

I figured Jenkins would fall further than Oher b/c w/ Smith pulling his crap teams might grade Oher slightly higher. Oher/Smith will most likely be gone before 18, but Jenkins may end up making it to us. As of Thursday, walterfootball just updated there site and they have Smith @ 13 to WAS, Jenkins @ 14 to NO, M. Johnson @ 15 to HOU, and Oher @ 16 to SD. That leaves us w/ English, Moreno, Beatty, Britton, DJ Moore, Maualuga, Maybin, Maclin, Nicks, or Robinson to finish out the first.

Thats also why I didn't have Robinson as a 2nd, b/c walter had him going as a high 2nd RD pick.

Read a great piece talking about how w/ the short interview times, and recent character issues in the NFL, teams are getting more and more creative in their questions during their 15 minutes w/ prospects. One question that stood out to the reporter. During Laurinatis' interview, one team asked, "When was the last time a LB came out of Ohio state that lived up to his potential". Actually, I think the question was far more negative, though I fail to remember the exact words. Basically implied Ohio state produces a lot of great college LBs who are nothing but average in the NFL. No discussion about Laurinatis' answer, but it was a hell of a question, and one I think bears thought. Many LBs were graded out significantly higher than your boy, and yet none have lived up to their hype in the NFL. Why is your boy different.

Sorry, but if we take your boy, I will puke. That isn't to say he isn't good, but when we have holes as great as we do, we can simply not afford to draft such a luxury.

Great post Ashkum!

I know Beatty has some great measurables, phenomenal really, but based on what he did on the field I find it hard to say he is worth 18. He's being put ahead of Eben (who I have the displeasure of watching destroy my Sun Devils pass rushers the past three seasons) and I just don't see him as being even equal to Britton on tape. He does, however, have that huge upside which would definitely make him worth the risk at 18 regardless. Then again, I don't like this DE class much past the top 6 or so, and they'll all be off the board by our second, so if one of the big four is there it might be hard to pass up. Even though we really need a top flight OT out of this draft if we miss out on Barnes, Willis, Stinch or maybe even Pears. If we do manage to bust out the wallet and cash in on one of those RTs, that just makes things a ton easier on us first day. In that case, I would pray Jenkins get passed by the idiots only looking at timed speed in their CBs so we could land our franchise FS. We can decide to go DE/FS/OL, and take a shot on an upside project for a second OL later on in the draft (Murtha, Bell, Kropog, Fultan, Bright, Vasquez, Cadogen) rather than one of the guys with bloated value.

Loadholt is a slow footed plodder who can't handle speed off the edge at all. Pass. I'd rather us move up and grab Johnson or Delmas to man FS, or just stand pat and wait and see what DE or WR is there.

Watkins might be an upside pick somewhat, but he really wasn't all that good at Florida, and his efficiency rating will show that. One of the three position interior lineman there like Caldwell, or Wood would be great there though. Maybe even grab our backup HB?

I read that somewhere as well! And didn't get the answer either...

Hype is just that. Some is justified, some is not. Laurinaitis isn't different than any other solid prospect coming out regardless of OSU's history. He's got as good of a chance of being a stud or dud as any LB in the draft.

I've readily admitted to my personal bias... I won't begrudge him falling past us. ...unless we pick a stiff.

This is just my personal Madden-esque dream pick. We all know about the sure things that bust, and the late rounders that become HoF'ers...and everything between. 'Tis the season to sepculate...where nothing is certain. And I just happen to like the guy...

I'll send you my barf bag from last season when I hurled hearing Williams was our pick it goes down! ;)

Read a great piece talking about how w/ the short interview times, and recent character issues in the NFL, teams are getting more and more creative in their questions during their 15 minutes w/ prospects. One question that stood out to the reporter. During Laurinatis' interview, one team asked, "When was the last time a LB came out of Ohio state that lived up to his potential". Actually, I think the question was far more negative, though I fail to remember the exact words. Basically implied Ohio state produces a lot of great college LBs who are nothing but average in the NFL. No discussion about Laurinatis' answer, but it was a hell of a question, and one I think bears thought. Many LBs were graded out significantly higher than your boy, and yet none have lived up to their hype in the NFL. Why is your boy different.

Sorry, but if we take your boy, I will puke. That isn't to say he isn't good, but when we have holes as great as we do, we can simply not afford to draft such a luxury.

I know...I'm on the pipe...but I'm super biassed.

1. I'm a Bear fan, so inherently, I love LB's...

2. Urlacher is showing signs of wear...I fear no replacement in the mix will mean utter doom

3. Laurinaitis has a good pedigree, from a good school, has won a ton of awards, has shown pretty good character, is supposedly a hard worker...

4. He's the son of the Road Warrior!

5. He's Lithuanian!

6. I'm Lithuanian!

7. Dick Butkus was Lithuanian!

...I'm just biassed. I really didn't groove on any of the other names in the 1st round. Had Oher or maybe a few other been up there, I'd have thought about it. i want OL bad...but I won't just take any...and I won't pass up a guy who I think will make a huge positive impact. It's not a glaring hole by any means. Right now. But I don't trust JA to do anything well for the right now. I'm thinking about having a solid core when the next regime hits town.

I know I'm out on a limb...an fiully admit so. But, I'd pull that trigger if it were me, and all the board would probably blast me... Until 2 years when we have a dominant D again because of him! ;)

...I'll put down the spiked kool-aid now.

HAHA. Fair enough. Hell, you've almost convinced ME with points 3-7.