Saints resign Stinchcomb

bradjock

Not that the Bears were making any effort to go after Stinchcomb, but damnit anyway.

The only offensive-tackle available that would be an upgrade over St. Clair is Khalif Barnes. Here's the article from PFT:

With Florio covering all the stories you care about, let's get caught up on the ones you don't.

The Saints have agreed to a five-year deal to bring back right tackle Jon Stinchcomb. Once considered an injury-prone second-round bust, Stinchcomb turned his career around in 2006 under Sean Payton. After starting no games in his first three seasons, Stinchcomb has started 48 straight since.

The somewhat surprising move means that former Jaguars tackle Khalif Barnes' scheduled Sunday trip to the Big Easy will be scuttled or pointless. (Update: Barnes has canceled his trip.)

The Seahawks, who showed interest in Stinchcomb, would be a logical suitor for Barnes. He's the next best player available in a weak crop of free agent tackles.

One can question the Saints' depth, but you can't question their continuity. With Jonathan Vilma and Stinchcomb back in the fold, Payton will get back all 22 starters from his 8-8 squad.

Well, if Barnes does go to Seattle or stays in Jacksonville, we're looking at a 1st or 2nd round OT for sure now, I'm guessing.

Agreed. There's no indication we're even looking at Barnes, so I imagine we'll get St. Clair to sign.

I looked at the mock drafts at sports illustrated, Kiper, McShay, and nfldraftcountdown.com. For what it's worth, the way all 4 have it playing out, there's really not a DE worth taking at #18. The same is true for the safety position. There are WR's available, but I believe JA when he says you can find those in later rounds. Especially as deep & talented as the WR group is this year. Round 2 seems more ideal (although we still need a freaking safety!!!)

That leads me to believe that we'll either:

1. Take the best offensive tackle available at #18, or

2. Trade down

There's the chance Sanchez or a DE will fall in our laps, but OT makes the most sense.

St Clair is getting no interest and the teams that are signing RTs are being taken off his list too. Expect him to be back at Halas Hall very soon before their offer comes off the table.

So if St.Clair re-signs do we still go OT (OHER) 1st RD or WR (MACKLIN) 1st RD?

I think it's a far stretch to say Barnes is better then St. Clair. Younger yes, but Barnes has been mediocre, at best, throughout his days in Jacksonville.

St Clair was significantly worse at LT last year than Barnes, plus Barnes is 5 years younger. Barnes is very good in the run game, and imo was miscast as a LT. I think he would be a very good RT, particularly on a running team like the Bears. Last year he had one of the highest YPC behind him of any LT in the league, according to a newspaper article i saw. It's a moot point, though, because Angelo isn't shopping in the starting O-lineman aisle. He's in the bargain, "versatile" bin, right next to where you can pick up has-been WRs and safeties.

"The Jaguars averaged 6.04 yards per carry running off left tackle in 2008, the second best mark in the league.

Free agent LT Khalif Barnes isn't expected back, but he's still good on run blocks. Pass protection woes will keep Barnes' price down. He could kick to right tackle for his next team or stay on the left in a run-heavy offense."