Denvers Cutler wants to be traded

Wesson44

The Denver Broncos may have seriously damaged their relationship with quarterback Jay Cutler.

A source close to the situation confirmed the Broncos were trying to acquire quarterback Matt Cassel from the New England Patriots by dangling Cutler, their Pro Bowl quarterback.

The trade talk infuriated Cutler, who now wants to leave the Broncos.

The source said the proposed trade was a three-way deal that would have sent Cassel to Denver to reunite with former Patriots offensive coordinator and new Denver head coach Josh McDaniels, Cutler to Tampa Bay and compensation from Tampa Bay to New England.

Cassel and linebacker Mike Vrabel were traded Saturday to Denver's AFC West rival Kansas City for a second-round pick.

A source close to the situation told ESPN.com that the Broncos pursued the trade because McDaniels wanted to be reunited with Cassel, who excelled under McDaniels last season as an injury replacement for Tom Brady.

In the aftermath of the trade Saturday, Cutler asked permission to find his own trade partner but was denied by the Broncos, according to the source. Cutler is still hopeful he will be traded because he feels betrayed by McDaniels, the source said.

The source said Denver is no longer interested in dealing Cutler, who made the Pro Bowl in 2008, his second full season as a starter. The source said Tampa Bay, Detroit and Chicago could be possible destinations if Cutler gets his way and is traded. The source pointed out that until Cutler heard about the trade talks Saturday, he was completely happy playing for McDaniels and being in Denver.

It may be difficult for Denver to trade Cutler now because there are no other quality quarterbacks available. It would be silly to trade him to the Lions for the No. 1 overall pick and try to draft Georgia's Matthew Stafford or USC's Mark Sanchez. Neither of those players is a known commodity, while Cutler has blossomed into one of the NFL's better quarterbacks.

Denver has to regain Cutler's trust immediately or this could turn into one of the NFL's uglier situations.

The source said that while Denver hopes to smooth the situation over, Cutler probably will seek to depart Denver as a restricted free agent in two years. Cutler signed a six-year deal with the Broncos after he was drafted with the No. 11 overall pick in 2006.

The source said Cutler was hurt by the news that McDaniels wanted to start his Denver tenure with Cassel and not him.

"The relationship has been tarnished," the source said. "I think it's beyond repair."

Cutler expressed displeasure when Denver fired coach Mike Shanahan in December. However, he has been publicly supportive of McDaniels and had several good meetings with the coach in the weeks since McDaniels took over. The source said Cutler was confused by the trade talk.

"It's like a knife to Jay's heart," the source said. "It will be hard for him to get past this."

McDaniels will be able to get past this issue, but it may take some time. The Broncos sold McDaniels' hiring as a chance for Cutler to flourish. Seven weeks later, the pairing has taken a sudden and potentially disastrous turn

This is a big non story. After McDaniels and Cutler talk, if they haven't already, Cutler is gonna realize it wasn't the broncos trying to trade him, but teams wanting to trade for him, and that McDaniels was just doing what any good GM does and listen to any offers for any players. Cutler will be reassured that he is they guy, and this stroy will be dead soon.

Also, if we did want him, I'd guess it'd cost us a 1st, a 2nd, and probably either a 1st or 2nd next year. Pro bowl QB's aren't cheap.

This is a big non story. After McDaniels and Cutler talk, if they haven't already, Cutler is gonna realize it wasn't the broncos trying to trade him, but teams wanting to trade for him, and that McDaniels was just doing what any good GM does and listen to any offers for any players. Cutler will be reassured that he is they guy, and this stroy will be dead soon.

Also, if we did want him, I'd guess it'd cost us a 1st, a 2nd, and probably either a 1st or 2nd next year. Pro bowl QB's aren't cheap.

As for the Broncos not trying to trade him, PFT is reporting that the Broncos likely had a deal in place that fell through. Whether that's true or not the question is, why did the Broncos WANT to trade him? Why would they rather have Matt Cassell? They obviously don't have faith in Cutler.

Also, as for acquiring Cutler, it would appear Denver wanted a good quarterback in return, like Matt Cassell. Would they be happy if we gave them Orton? Somehow I doubt it.

Either way, acquiring him would cost one helluva a lot,

I think McDaniels will try to make it a non-story, but I don't see how it could get it the point of having a three team deal worked out with McDaniels, who happens to be Cassel's o-coordinator last year. McDaniels had to have shown serious interest to let the talks get that far. He may try to deny it in order to rehab his relationship with Cutler, but there is too much smoke to not be a little fire brewing.

But I do agree that the minimum return would be a first and third, since that was what Tampa was willing to give up. Maybe we could send Orton, our third this year, and our first next year?

I think McDaniels will try to make it a non-story, but I don't see how it could get it the point of having a three team deal worked out with McDaniels, who happens to be Cassel's o-coordinator last year. McDaniels had to have shown serious interest to let the talks get that far. He may try to deny it in order to rehab his relationship with Cutler, but there is too much smoke to not be a little fire brewing.

But I do agree that the minimum return would be a first and third, since that was what Tampa was willing to give up. Maybe we could send Orton, our third this year, and our first next year?

No way Orton fits there prototype QB if Cutler dont. He may be unhappy but the new coach is not a fool, he aint going anywhere. Nice to have but would never happen here.

Cutler has great throws and then bad ones. He reminds me of a better Grossman. Last year, he threw at 62% but he had 18 INT's with 25 TD's with 2 fumbles lost. Also, here he doesn't exactly have Brandon Marshall. For all the people who hate Rex's mistakes, how would you deal with another, slightly improved, Rex?

I would never trade a 1st and two 2nd's for him.

If this could happen which it probably won't I would definitely do it in a heart beat. Cutler is proving that he is getting better each season. Granted the numbers that Brian Bear point out do not look good I agree however, I see far too much upside to Cutler as an NFL QB than what we currently have. Give Cutler another two years under center and I think he will become one of the best QBs currently in the game and he is pretty good now.

ALthough I would love to see Cutler on this team, most of you guys are overstating his value. If he was on the block, he most likely could be had for #18. Whoever wrote this article is an idiot if he thinks Detroit would trade the number one over all pick for him. I know its Detroit but cmon...

On a side note, if you didnt like Rex looking lost at times, you dont want Cutler. He made some horrible decisions one game then has an all world game the next.

ALthough I would love to see Cutler on this team, most of you guys are overstating his value. If he was on the block, he most likely could be had for #18. Whoever wrote this article is an idiot if he thinks Detroit would trade the number one over all pick for him. I know its Detroit but cmon...

On a side note, if you didnt like Rex looking lost at times, you dont want Cutler. He made some horrible decisions one game then has an all world game the next.

I don't think you are right. He was originally drafted, iirc, in the mid-first round. At the time of the draft, nobody knew if he'd be any good as a pro (like any other qb). If you were the Detroit GM, wouldn't you, by a mile, rather have Cutler, who is already a few years into development, definitely not a bust, and who has a contract like a mid-first round pick over Stafford/Sanchez, who probably have a 50% chance of being a bust, but would get a contract with 30-40 mil guaranteed, and you wouldn't know for 2-3 years if they were any good?

If I was Detroit, I would make that deal in a heartbeat. Cutler isn't perfect, but he's a young, pro-bowl caliber qb with a reasonable contract, which might make him one of the most valuable entities in the NFL. Cerainly more valuable than a draft pick.

If I were Angelo, I would give them anything they wanted. 1st round pick, a 1 and a 2--whatever it took. My only hesitation is that Angelo currently has nothing on the roster to put around him, but it's not too late to make some FA addiitons. You get Cutler and you don't have to worry about who your qb is for a decade.

I don't think you are right. He was originally drafted, iirc, in the mid-first round. At the time of the draft, nobody knew if he'd be any good as a pro (like any other qb). If you were the Detroit GM, wouldn't you, by a mile, rather have Cutler, who is already a few years into development, definitely not a bust, and who has a contract like a mid-first round pick over Stafford/Sanchez, who probably have a 50% chance of being a bust, but would get a contract with 30-40 mil guaranteed, and you wouldn't know for 2-3 years if they were any good?

Cutler was the eleven selection in the 2006 draft and was widely regarded by a few talking heads as the best qb coming out ahead of Leinhart and Young. If I remember correctly, he is in the fourth year of a 6yr/48 mill contract. That being said, I would rather have him over Stafford/Sanchez any day if I were Detroit yet none of them are worthy of the number one overall pick. One more factor to consider would be the uncertainty of him being diabetic.

If Cutler is available we go get him. Pointing out his mistakes is fine but he's still young and he's better than Orton. It's true that franchise QBs don't come cheap but in Chicago they don't ever show up so IMO the price is worth it.

If Cutler is available we go get him. Pointing out his mistakes is fine but he's still young and he's better than Orton. It's true that franchise QBs don't come cheap but in Chicago they don't ever show up so IMO the price is worth it.

AMEN to that! You do what it takes to get I young probowl guy like Cutler. It all about winning and I can live with some of his mistakes now because this kid is only going to get better each year. I would even argu that I am more upset the Bears did not pursue Cassel and I would have offered a conditional 1st next year for him. Cassel is going to be a good QB in this league.

I have always liked Cutler but I am just not sure if I would give up a 1st for him because he needs at least a decent Oline to help protect him since we don't have a Brandon Marshall type player. I bet if we got him and gave up our 1st everyone would start screaming midway through the season because our oline can't give him enough time to go through his progressions.

chicken and egg. If we take the position we can not try and get a franchise QB until all the pieces are in place, I guarantee you we will never get a franchise QB.

Few want to upgrade the OL as much as I, and I realize all the arguments about how a bad OL effects the QB. At the same time, if a francise QB is available, you do not say, "Well, I really like him, but I think we need to build our OL before we consider QB". Go the damn QB, and then build your OL.

Hell, I would argue that we can get Cutler and still begin to build the OL now. FA is still open, and we can add OL like Duke (for example) in the 2nd round.

I have always liked Cutler but I am just not sure if I would give up a 1st for him because he needs at least a decent Oline to help protect him since we don't have a Brandon Marshall type player. I bet if we got him and gave up our 1st everyone would start screaming midway through the season because our oline can't give him enough time to go through his progressions.

chicken and egg. If we take the position we can not try and get a franchise QB until all the pieces are in place, I guarantee you we will never get a franchise QB.

Few want to upgrade the OL as much as I, and I realize all the arguments about how a bad OL effects the QB. At the same time, if a francise QB is available, you do not say, "Well, I really like him, but I think we need to build our OL before we consider QB". Go the damn QB, and then build your OL.

Hell, I would argue that we can get Cutler and still begin to build the OL now. FA is still open, and we can add OL like Duke (for example) in the 2nd round.

And this is of course hoping that we are looking at Oline in the 1st couple of rounds. Does any one question weather or not Cutler would work with our WR corps. Don't get me wrong. I would welcome the idea about bringing in a Franchise QB as we have never had a franchise type QB in my entire life. And i am not exactly that young. No I am not considering McMahon as a Franchise QB.

If our key moves in FA are adding Omiyale and St. Clair, do you really think we are going to follow that up by going OL in the 1st?

How well does Cutler work w/ our WRs? Easy initial answer is, better than what we have, and I am an Orton supporter. But I think few would question whether Cutler would be an upgrade. No, he likely would not put up 4,500 yards w/ our personnel, but I think he would help raise their play. He may better help develop Hester and Bennett.

And again, I go back to the chicken and egg. If we wait until all the pieces are in place, we will never get that franchise QB. Instead, why not add that franchise QB and begin building around him.

And this is of course hoping that we are looking at Oline in the 1st couple of rounds. Does any one question weather or not Cutler would work with our WR corps. Don't get me wrong. I would welcome the idea about bringing in a Franchise QB as we have never had a franchise type QB in my entire life. And i am not exactly that young. No I am not considering McMahon as a Franchise QB.

If our key moves in FA are adding Omiyale and St. Clair, do you really think we are going to follow that up by going OL in the 1st?

How well does Cutler work w/ our WRs? Easy initial answer is, better than what we have, and I am an Orton supporter. But I think few would question whether Cutler would be an upgrade. No, he likely would not put up 4,500 yards w/ our personnel, but I think he would help raise their play. He may better help develop Hester and Bennett.

And again, I go back to the chicken and egg. If we wait until all the pieces are in place, we will never get that franchise QB. Instead, why not add that franchise QB and begin building around him.

I dont know. I just get the feeling he would be Rex II.

The reason I kinda question things is because we have seen to many QB's in the league that get killed because the Oline is bad. I keep thinking back to David Carr. I bet that he may have been able to develop into a nice QB in this league if he wasn't getting cold cocked everytime he a thought cross his mind his first couple of years in the league. It would be a waste of money if he isn't a good upgrade over Orton. Do you have happen to know what Cutler contract is like.

Try tell that to the Lions fans that are screaming for Curry or Smith when you mention drafting Stafford at no. 1 :D I agree with you totally on this issue. You need to take a risk on QB if you are in position to do so!

For the record, I basically agree about Carr, but in that example, it also goes w/ what I am saying. Houston fans screamed for years (along w/ Carr) about Houston doing so little and such a bad job, upgrading the OL. They drafted Carr #1, but then failed to build the OL to protect him. I think it is fine if you draft your franchise QB first, but if you do not follow that up by protecting him, then I would agree there is little point.

W/ that said, I think it should also be pointed out how much better Houston's OL looked once Carr was gone. Carr had loads of talent, but was a slow decision maker, and was the sort of QB who made OLs look worse than they were.

As for Cutler's contract, I think that is partially why Denver is looking to trade him. i believe he is still under his rookie contract. That, any team looking to trade for him would have to sign him to a new deal, and you can bet it would not be cheap. However, I would point out that we are a whopping $35m under the cap (not counting whatever Omiyale's cap hit this year is), and can easily afford to add him.

The reason I kinda question things is because we have seen to many QB's in the league that get killed because the Oline is bad. I keep thinking back to David Carr. I bet that he may have been able to develop into a nice QB in this league if he wasn't getting cold cocked everytime he a thought cross his mind his first couple of years in the league. It would be a waste of money if he isn't a good upgrade over Orton. Do you have happen to know what Cutler contract is like.

Why? I am not arguing so much as just asking. To me, the main thing that held Rex back (beyond surrounding personnel) was his inability to read the field, as well as his questionable feel inside the pocket. He just didn't read coverages very well, and didn't handle the pressure well either.

I do not know for a fact, but I have not seen where these were big issues for Cutler. He is an aggressive QB, like Rex, but I am not sure he is Rex part two.

I dont know. I just get the feeling he would be Rex II.

Imagine if Atlanta passed on Ryan believing they needed to first build their OL.

Try tell that to the Lions fans that are screaming for Curry or Smith when you mention drafting Stafford at no. 1 :D I agree with you totally on this issue. You need to take a risk on QB if you are in position to do so!