So how will be spend our cap money?

nfoligno

Okay, this is not a complain thread. There are plenty of those which I have plenty of comments on. My question is this. We have about $34m in cap space. It was reported to be around $30m, then it was reported the cap went up another $4m for all teams, thus $34m. Each year, we spend close to our entire cap allowance, if not the full amount. That doesn't mean we use it all up loading up on FAs, but on paper, we do use up all our space. This year, we simply do not have the in-house players really due to be extended, which has used up a ton of our cap space in recent years. So where are we going to use our $34m?

While we have seen a slow start, I would assume we will see a few FA signed. Further, I would not be surprised to see those deals more front loaded than backloaded. I remember when we signed Tait, we gave him a large roster bonus, thus minimizing the later years cap charge. I think we could see similar, albeit on a smaller scale, this year.

I think we could also see some deals w/ higher likely to be earned incentives, or is it unlikely to be earned. Whatever the phrase, I think we can see some deals that eat up current cap space, which will free up space next year. Normally I am all for this, but the question I have is, if a new CBA is not in place and next year is an uncapped year, would these deals not go to waste? What is the point of using 2009 cap space to free up 2010 cap space if there is no cap in 2010? Seems like this would be a bit of a gamble.

I think we could also set aside a chunk of cap space for a player or two to be signed during the season. If orton gets off to a hot start, I think we could look at re-signing him mid season, while allocating a chunk of his new contract against our 2009 cap.

The only other thing I wonder about is, could Angelo have something up his sleeve? We all remember the year we made a late offseason trade for Wale. Could a similar deal happen this year? Could we make a late run at Boldin? Or maybe we are waiting for Holt to be released, and then we would be in a prime position to make a run at him.

It doesn't appear we are going to use up our cap space on big name FAs, but I doubt we will leave a bunch of cap space on the books by years end. So the question is, how do we use it?

Im with you. I think so little has been done that something will have to give, most likely on draft day. If it all goes LTBE we run the risk of being a monumentally bad team this year IMO. THats what my other post was about...Im getting the feeling that something is either in the works, or the financial groundwork is being laid to attempt it.

I too get that feeling, though it may be more based on hope than logic. At the same time, I just do not see the deals to add 1st round draft picks. As I said in response to your previous posts, I just don't see the talent on the roster which would net us a 1st round pick.

Players we "could" conceivably consider trading:

Urlacher - No way he nets us a 1st. Frankly, I doubt he nets us a 2nd. He is older, coming off multiple weak seasonsn, and then factor the chronic back issues.

Wale - Again, no chance he nets a 1st. Coming off a bad season. Far from young. Only one year remaining on his current deal. He might bring a mid round pick, might, but no chance a 1st.

Vasher - Maybe a 5th, but injuries and weak play are not going to see a 1st in return.

Kreutz - I don't see it happening, but just stretching to think of "names" who some might argue. Again, older veteran who has seen a downturn in play over the last several seasons, and who also is near the end of his deal, thus no bargain.

I just do not see the personnel on the team that would bring a 1st in return. The only two players who I think would generate a higher level of interst in a trade are Briggs and Harris, and I see each as near untouchable.

I mentioned this before, but the daydreaming in me would see one of the rookie QBs fall to #12, which prompts Denver to talk Cutler trade. They draft a rookie QB, and trade Cutler to us. That eliminates our 1st round pick (opposite of what you talked about) but would add a player who we could then re-sign to a deal which could use up a ton of that cap space. But this is serious daydreaming here.

Right now, one option I think has at least some level of logic would be to sign Holt (assuming he is cut) to a very much front loaded deal. A front loaded deal would help entice him to come to the city where WRs die (thanks Moose for that quote), use up a chunk of our cap space, and potentially give us a significant upgrade at an area of great need. Further, Lovie may have been running the defense, but may have a bit of a relationship w/ Holt from their days together in St.L, and further, Lovie did have to defend against Holt every day in practice, and knows him better than most. So I see logic here, but again, it could be as much hope as it is logic.

Im with you. I think so little has been done that something will have to give, most likely on draft day. If it all goes LTBE we run the risk of being a monumentally bad team this year IMO. THats what my other post was about...Im getting the feeling that something is either in the works, or the financial groundwork is being laid to attempt it.

Great point! I hadn't even really thought of that angle. So much for me being an elite GM! ;) Looks like I need some good assistants!

But, to answer your thread...we need to pursue some FA's. Barnes needs to be had in my opinion. Just get it done. Phillips the FS, also need to get done. And, if he's still out there...I want to talk to jason Taylor. See what he wants and for how long. Tell him we need a teacher and motivator. We'll cut him the slack of limited practice if he can be a mentor.

I know we won't do it, but that's what we should do.

What is the point of using 2009 cap space to free up 2010 cap space if there is no cap in 2010?

I'd be fine w/ Barnes and Phillips, but both have seen significant interst, as well as visits, from other teams. I have to think that if either were in our plans, we would already know about it.

As for Taylor, no way. One, he reportedly already said no to any thought of signing w/ the bears. Also, no thanks on adding the football version to Roger Clemens. We don't need a player who lays on the couch while the team busts their arces. What sort of teacher/motivator is that person. What does it teach the rest of the team? Hey, if you are good enough, you can sit back and tell the coaches how much you want to practice. No thanks. Seems like he would bring the opposite mentality we hope Marinelli brings.

Great point! I hadn't even really thought of that angle. So much for me being an elite GM! ;) Looks like I need some good assistants!

But, to answer your thread...we need to pursue some FA's. Barnes needs to be had in my opinion. Just get it done. Phillips the FS, also need to get done. And, if he's still out there...I want to talk to jason Taylor. See what he wants and for how long. Tell him we need a teacher and motivator. We'll cut him the slack of limited practice if he can be a mentor.

I know we won't do it, but that's what we should do.

Points well made...

I still think Barnes and Phillips could well be in the mix after they do their money-grab world tour and they are still out there... Moreso, I hope...

I'd be fine w/ Barnes and Phillips, but both have seen significant interst, as well as visits, from other teams. I have to think that if either were in our plans, we would already know about it.

As for Taylor, no way. One, he reportedly already said no to any thought of signing w/ the bears. Also, no thanks on adding the football version to Roger Clemens. We don't need a player who lays on the couch while the team busts their arces. What sort of teacher/motivator is that person. What does it teach the rest of the team? Hey, if you are good enough, you can sit back and tell the coaches how much you want to practice. No thanks. Seems like he would bring the opposite mentality we hope Marinelli brings.

Wow. I haven't done one of my point / counterpoint posts for awhile. Here goes ......

Okay, this is not a complain thread. There are plenty of those which I have plenty of comments on. My question is this. We have about $34m in cap space. It was reported to be around $30m, then it was reported the cap went up another $4m for all teams, thus $34m. Each year, we spend close to our entire cap allowance, if not the full amount. That doesn't mean we use it all up loading up on FAs, but on paper, we do use up all our space. This year, we simply do not have the in-house players really due to be extended, which has used up a ton of our cap space in recent years. So where are we going to use our $34m?

If you want MY numbers, I had us at $27 mil under so the +4 would put us at $31 mil under.

With next year currently scheduled as an uncapped year, the only real number you have to keep in mind in the salary cap floor which is about $114 mil. We're currently at about $96 mil so we really only have to spend $8 mil to reach the floor and probably $5 mil will go to rookies.

I'm not saying that we will only shoot for the minimum, but that's all that's guaranteed if the prices for players are unreasonable vs. their value.

While we have seen a slow start, I would assume we will see a few FA signed. Further, I would not be surprised to see those deals more front loaded than backloaded. I remember when we signed Tait, we gave him a large roster bonus, thus minimizing the later years cap charge. I think we could see similar, albeit on a smaller scale, this year.

What was done in the past is irrelevant because this is an entirely unique situation due to next year being an uncapped year.

I think we could also see some deals w/ higher likely to be earned incentives, or is it unlikely to be earned. Whatever the phrase, I think we can see some deals that eat up current cap space, which will free up space next year. Normally I am all for this, but the question I have is, if a new CBA is not in place and next year is an uncapped year, would these deals not go to waste? What is the point of using 2009 cap space to free up 2010 cap space if there is no cap in 2010? Seems like this would be a bit of a gamble.

It's not a gamble, it's just irrelevant. In fact, teams can use bogus incentives that WOULD have moved cap space forward to actually spend beneath the salary cap floor. So teams have to count $114 against the cap and they are at only at $110 million? Sign someone to a LTBE bonus laden contract with $4 mil in it, and voila! you've achieved the salary cap floor.

I think we could also set aside a chunk of cap space for a player or two to be signed during the season. If orton gets off to a hot start, I think we could look at re-signing him mid season, while allocating a chunk of his new contract against our 2009 cap.

Yep - there will be a bunch of cap space during the season.

The only other thing I wonder about is, could Angelo have something up his sleeve? We all remember the year we made a late offseason trade for Wale. Could a similar deal happen this year? Could we make a late run at Boldin? Or maybe we are waiting for Holt to be released, and then we would be in a prime position to make a run at him.

I think Angelo is going to do pretty much what he always does: If a situation with good value comes up, he'll pursue it. There is no way of knowing whether Holt will be released so there is no way he's counting on it. For instance, the Ogun thing was unexpected in March so how could he have saved cap space for it?

It doesn't appear we are going to use up our cap space on big name FAs, but I doubt we will leave a bunch of cap space on the books by years end. So the question is, how do we use it?

I think you'll see us picking up bargains later in FA and after the draft.

I hope this clears up a few misconceptions for you. :)

Thanks for the post LT2_3...

It cleared things up at least for me!

Wow. I haven't done one of my point / counterpoint posts for awhile. Here goes ......

If you want MY numbers, I had us at $27 mil under so the +4 would put us at $31 mil under.

With next year currently scheduled as an uncapped year, the only real number you have to keep in mind in the salary cap floor which is about $114 mil. We're currently at about $96 mil so we really only have to spend $8 mil to reach the floor and probably $5 mil will go to rookies.

I'm not saying that we will only shoot for the minimum, but that's all that's guaranteed if the prices for players are unreasonable vs. their value.

What was done in the past is irrelevant because this is an entirely unique situation due to next year being an uncapped year.

It's not a gamble, it's just irrelevant. In fact, teams can use bogus incentives that WOULD have moved cap space forward to actually spend beneath the salary cap floor. So teams have to count $114 against the cap and they are at only at $110 million? Sign someone to a LTBE bonus laden contract with $4 mil in it, and voila! you've achieved the salary cap floor.

I think Angelo is going to do pretty much what he always does: If a situation with good value comes up, he'll pursue it. There is no way of knowing whether Holt will be released so there is no way he's counting on it. For instance, the Ogun thing was unexpected in March so how could he have saved cap space for it?

I think he will sign a couple of more FAs but they will be valve pick ups and maybe people who suprize us. I dont think we will get any until after the draft. There will be players available after everybody gets the players they want drafted. The problem is were in a hurry and Jerry isnt. He sees everything we see he just has a better perspective about than we do.

I'm sorry, but why again are we assuming we only have to think about the floor if there is no cap? No, I have no delusion to think we would try to act like Snyder or Jones, but is it your opinion most teams in the league will be low balling players and going "that" cheap? One thing I think could hold us back from that might be if (a) we fail to add much this year and (B) we suck this year. If that comes to pass, I am not so sure we go so cheap.

Not sure I agree. One. Next year is not for a fact an uncapped year. That is only if a new CBA is not in place. I personally do not believe we can assume that a new deal is or is not in place. Two, even if it is an uncapped year, while I agree this year is unique, I disagree the past is irrelevant.

Not sure I undertstand here, or at least how it is responsive to the previous point. My point was, if (a) we do sign several players to LTBE deals w/ the plan of creating space next year and then (B) next year is an uncapped year, have we not wasted potential cap space? As you said, we don't need to spend much to hit the floor, while we have loads of cap space, so I question the idea that LTBE (for us now) are to get above the floor. Seems like we are close enough now where that isn't an issue. On the other hand, if it is used to use up the $30m or whatever we have, it sure seems like that is wasted space.

Two things. One, while little is known in life, many things can be expected, and I think the majority out there expect St.l to cut Holt. St.L wants to trade the players, but as most teams expect them to be available for free (after being cut) no one is calling the Rams. So while anything can happen, there is a great enough level of expectation that I do think you can make plans in the event of. Two. We didn't "save cap space for Wale". As I recall, we actually had to creatively structure Wale's deals (multi year bonus) because we didn't have much cap space at the time.

No doubt about that one. Regardless of other moves, I think Angelo always does this. However, I do not think this will come close to using up the $30m in cap space we have, and regardless of your saying history is irrelevant, I have a hard time seeing us not using up our cap space, if for no other reason than the poor perception it would create. Thus, the point of the thread. Agreed we add bargains, but that won't use up $30m in space. I believe we will use up that cap space, and thus the question is how? LTBEs? Begin seriously front loading contracts. Trade not considered? FA off the radar?

Nope. Still have no clue how Angela plans to use up the cap space.

Are there any restricted players for teams who are becoming "cash strapped" we might be looking at? We worked that angle with Tait & RMJ. Although you'd have to think Angelo would think twice about giving up draft picks the way it bit him in the ass with RMJ.