Holt asks for his release

killakrzydav

As I said the other day, I would sign him (as long as the deal is reasonable).

Peace :dabears

How old is he now? I would bring him in for a work out to see if he could out run Davis and Bennett. If he still has it then yes I would pull the trigger for a two year deal and still draft DHB or Nicks

How old is he now? I would bring him in for a work out to see if he could out run Davis and Bennett. If he still has it then yes I would pull the trigger for a two year deal and still draft DHB or Nicks

He will be 33 in June.

Peace :dabears

Holt is due a roster bonus March 17th. It isn't huge, but the consensus seems to be that St.L will cut him at that point if they have not found takers for a trade. From what I read, the key reason no one has looked to trade for him is everyone believes he will be released before the 17th.

He has asked to be released now because he sees other WRs getting paid, and doesn't want to hit the market when teams have spent all their money.

Holt is not going to be super cheap, as I think many fans are hoping, but IMHO, he would still be well worth it. The deal will be a tad pricey, but would also likely be a shorter term (2 or 3 years) deal. That is perfect in my eyes. We have the cap to easily afford him. He would instantly upgrade our WR corp. Further, as he would be under a short term deal, he would not kill the long term develop plans for Bennett and/or a rookie who will likely still be added this year.

I said this before, but I would love to add Holt or Harrison. I think either would offer the bear immediate upgrade, while not preventing us from developing other players.

I just saw this on ESPN that T. Holt has asked for his release from the Rams. Hopefully, Lovie will have JA pursue him once his is.

To be honest, I've never particularly loved Holt. I know he's been tremendously productive, but he hates contact and very frequently runs out of bounds or goes down in the middle of the field to avoid getting hit. That was fine when he could get open enough to still get a big chunk of yardage and was fast enough to avoid tackles. Now that that quickness is gone, I think you see that he's a different kind of player. He would certainly be our best WR at this point, but at the price he will probably be asking, I don't think it's worth it.

To be honest, I've never particularly loved Holt. I know he's been tremendously productive, but he hates contact and very frequently runs out of bounds or goes down in the middle of the field to avoid getting hit. That was fine when he could get open enough to still get a big chunk of yardage and was fast enough to avoid tackles. Now that that quickness is gone, I think you see that he's a different kind of player. He would certainly be our best WR at this point, but at the price he will probably be asking, I don't think it's worth it.

The Bears aren't exactly hurting for cap space right now, and need a WR who can at least be able to be a solid possession receiver, even if he's not a deep threat. Totally go the Rams, offer them a 5th rounder or something like that, and see if you can get your hands on him to offer him a contract before he's released.

If Holt becomes available and the Bears don't sign him I will be livid. He's been a 1000 yard machine any year where he had a QB to throw him the ball and this past year, St. Louis was an absolute disaster and his stats suffered from it. The guy would be the best WR the Bears have had since Moose (I know I know) and still has another 1 or 2 1000 yard seasons in him. Plus, bringing him in immediately takes pressure off Hester to be the guy and allows the Bears to really mold and develop there younger guys (and having a vet like Holt should help that process as well). You than use a first day pick on the WR you like and put him with Bennett and in time you hope at least one of the two WR's brought in this year and last year develop (if not both) and you have Davis as a 5th receiver/special teams player and than obviously have Clark/Olsen.

I think in a matter of two moves, the Bears WR corps goes from being one of the worse in NFL history to one of the better receiving corps in the league (Top 15 at least and when you factor in our TE's and Forte all of a sudden your talking about an offense with weapons. Plus I think Holt is a very good compliment to Hester). Give him a 3 year deal with a big signing bonus (similar to the Moose deal in a sense). But the Bears have tons of cap space so money should not be a concern.

I'd also of course go for Owens but I know that won't happen and I'd prefer Holt to Owens when you factor all things.

Me as well...

There is simply no excuse...

But I don't want owens. We have enough issues at QB...and we get off the bus running apprently.

If Holt becomes available and the Bears don't sign him I will be livid. He's been a 1000 yard machine any year where he had a QB to throw him the ball and this past year, St. Louis was an absolute disaster and his stats suffered from it. The guy would be the best WR the Bears have had since Moose (I know I know) and still has another 1 or 2 1000 yard seasons in him. Plus, bringing him in immediately takes pressure off Hester to be the guy and allows the Bears to really mold and develop there younger guys (and having a vet like Holt should help that process as well). You than use a first day pick on the WR you like and put him with Bennett and in time you hope at least one of the two WR's brought in this year and last year develop (if not both) and you have Davis as a 5th receiver/special teams player and than obviously have Clark/Olsen.

I think in a matter of two moves, the Bears WR corps goes from being one of the worse in NFL history to one of the better receiving corps in the league (Top 15 at least and when you factor in our TE's and Forte all of a sudden your talking about an offense with weapons. Plus I think Holt is a very good compliment to Hester). Give him a 3 year deal with a big signing bonus (similar to the Moose deal in a sense). But the Bears have tons of cap space so money should not be a concern.

I'd also of course go for Owens but I know that won't happen and I'd prefer Holt to Owens when you factor all things.

All the T.O. drama aside, I'd take Holt over Owens any day, just considering what happens on the field. T.O. just drops too many passes. His catch rate last season was under 50% - that might be OK from a deep threat #1 receiver, but it's not going to cut it for a safety valve, which is what the Bears need. Basically every other big-name receiver catches at least half of the passes thrown to him: the only guys under half for 2008 are Owens, Santonio Holmes, and Braylon Edwards. All of them were complemented by either a world-class receiving tight end or an extremely reliable possession receiver. Think of it this way: by the numbers, Devin Hester is actually MORE reliable than T.O. is. Yikes.