Safety Roy Williams released...

GakMan23

Cowboys | Safety Roy Williams released

Thu, 05 Mar 2009 07:43:24 -0800

Todd Archer, of The Dallas Morning News, reports the Dallas Cowboys have released S Roy L. Williams after not being able to trade him. Williams confirmed his release Thursday, March 5. His release will save the team about $2 million against the salary cap.

Is he worth a look? I haven't seen many Cowgirl games lately so not sure if he can still tackle since he can't horsecollar people anymore...

No. Not even worth a look. RW is a pure SS, and even in that regard, he is a massive liability in pass coverage. Teams worked hard to matchup TEs, RBs or 4th WRs against RW to exploit him. His pass coverage was so bad that he found himself on the bench more often than not, and spent most of 2008 there.

While I realize the SS does not have to be as good in pass coverage as the FS, he still must be competant as he will have to cover against the pass against TEs and RBs often enough. He is just that bad. Frankly, it would not surprise me if he found teams wanting him to move to LB.

Todd Archer, of The Dallas Morning News, reports the Dallas Cowboys have released S Roy L. Williams after not being able to trade him. Williams confirmed his release Thursday, March 5. His release will save the team about $2 million against the salary cap.

Is he worth a look? I haven't seen many Cowgirl games lately so not sure if he can still tackle since he can't horsecollar people anymore...

No. Not even worth a look. RW is a pure SS, and even in that regard, he is a massive liability in pass coverage. Teams worked hard to matchup TEs, RBs or 4th WRs against RW to exploit him. His pass coverage was so bad that he found himself on the bench more often than not, and spent most of 2008 there.

While I realize the SS does not have to be as good in pass coverage as the FS, he still must be competant as he will have to cover against the pass against TEs and RBs often enough. He is just that bad. Frankly, it would not surprise me if he found teams wanting him to move to LB.

How important is the SS in pass coverage in a cover 2 system? (Honestly don't know)

Well, I can only go off what i have seen, and what I have seen is our SS' getting embarrassed in pass coverage.

I believe, in our system, we often play our SS closer to the LOS than the FS. It may be written up as a two deep safety scheme, but the SS is still playing closer than the FS. Anyway, I think our SS usually is expected to cover he intermediate area of the field. The area slot WRs, TEs and RBs usually work is the area the SS is usually expect to cover.

Too often I have watch Payne, Steltz, and the rest who we have thrown out there at SS trailing the receiver and making tackles (after the catch) from behind. The SS may not often get burned deep, but does have an effect in the shorter passing game, which may not instantly lead to TDs, but does get an offense a new set of downs and more opportunities.

RW entered the league and became an instant fan favorite w/ his hard hitting, but it just was not long before (a) his key tackle move was banned, and thus his overall effectiveness was stunts as he has never been considered a very good tackler and (B) he became such a liability in terms of coverage that offenses would target him in the passing game. He was that bad.

Here in Dallas, for the last 2 or 3 years, he has been the target of fans wrath as much or more than any other cowboy. RW is the Dallas version of Daniel Manning, but w/ less chance to improve or develop.

How important is the SS in pass coverage in a cover 2 system? (Honestly don't know)

How much have you seen him play? RW sucks. His pass defense makes Payne look all-pro.

He is a more pure in-the-box safety than any we have seen. Honestly, he is a LB that plays SS. I would argue he is a worse fit in the cover two, as I think a SS in the cover two has more pass coverage responsibility than other teams that use their SS most often in the box.

He was absolutely horrendous in pass coverage, however, he's very talented and could be a better fit in the cover 2 defense. I'd take him over Payne, thats for sure.

Too old and has lost too much...

I'd rather go for something else. This move reeks of Archuletta...

I used to enjoy watching Cowboy games and all the hype the announcers gave Roy Williams, only to see him make some real boneheaded plays that cost the game for his team. Anyone that can help the Cowboys lose is ok by me but if they are doing it from within I don't want him on my team (same goes for TO).

How much have you seen him play? RW sucks. His pass defense makes Payne look all-pro.

He is a more pure in-the-box safety than any we have seen. Honestly, he is a LB that plays SS. I would argue he is a worse fit in the cover two, as I think a SS in the cover two has more pass coverage responsibility than other teams that use their SS most often in the box.

The thing is, that plays to your advantage in the cover 2 where the strong safety isn't necessarily utilized as much in pass coverage.

I don't know about that. It seems to be the SS actually plays more coverage in the cover two than in a more basic 4-3. Think about it. The cover two, by definition, plays both safeties deeper and in coverage. Thus the term, cover two. Contrast that w/ how many other teams use their SS, as an in-the-box safety that acts more like a 4th LB.

The thing is, that plays to your advantage in the cover 2 where the strong safety isn't necessarily utilized as much in pass coverage.