Khalif Barnes still available

bradjock

I know we like St. Clair, but we do like OT's with bad backs. This was from PFT:

BARNES WON’T BE A RAIDER, AFTER ALL

Posted by Mike Florio on March 7, 2009, 9:50 a.m.

So much for those reports that free-agent tackle Khalif Barnes was set to sign with the Oakland Raiders.

According to the San Francisco Chronicle and other publications, the deal has fallen apart.

Per David White of the Chronicle, all talks between Barnes’ agent, Kenny Zuckerman, and the Raiders are now off. Barnes is now close to signing with an undisclosed team.

As White points out, the collapse of the deal could push the Raiders back to free-agent tackle Marvel Smith of the Steelers, who has drawn interest from Oakland and Baltimore since hitting the market. Teams likely are concerned about his pair of back surgeries in two years.

As White points out, the collapse of the deal could push the Raiders back to free-agent tackle Marvel Smith of the Steelers, who has drawn interest from Oakland and Baltimore since hitting the market. Teams likely are concerned about his pair of back surgeries in two years.

Is it Barnes or Smith they are saying teams are concerned about back injuries?

Is it Barnes or Smith they are saying teams are concerned about back injuries?

Good point. Apparently they were talking about Smith. My mistake. I jumped on it cause I thought that would explain why Barnes was still out there.

Sounds like we may not be interested. Hope Briggs is full of S**T as usual. I was hoping we would sign Barnes.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NFL | Barnes close to signing with a team?

Sun, 08 Mar 2009 14:45:28 -0700

Brad Biggs, of the Chicago Sun-Times, reports it is believed unrestricted free-agent OT Khalif Barnes (Jaguars) is close to signing with an unidentified NFL team.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bears | Not interested in Barnes

Sun, 08 Mar 2009 14:45:13 -0700

Brad Biggs, of the Chicago Sun-Times, reports the Chicago Bears are not interested in unrestricted free-agent OT Khalif Barnes (Jaguars), according to a source.

Sounds like we may not be interested. Hope Briggs is full of S**T as usual. I was hoping we would sign Barnes.

NFL | Barnes close to signing with a team?

Sun, 08 Mar 2009 14:45:28 -0700

Brad Biggs, of the Chicago Sun-Times, reports it is believed unrestricted free-agent OT Khalif Barnes (Jaguars) is close to signing with an unidentified NFL team.

Bears | Not interested in Barnes

Sun, 08 Mar 2009 14:45:13 -0700

Brad Biggs, of the Chicago Sun-Times, reports the Chicago Bears are not interested in unrestricted free-agent OT Khalif Barnes (Jaguars), according to a source.

Lets hope so. I am hoping that we sign Barnes and 1 WR like a Holt or Harrison before the draft next month.

If we sign St. Clair, I am fairly sure we will not sign another o-lineman.

Peace :dabears

I'm obviously not in agreement with Angelo, but I'd much rather have Barnes than St Clair. We already have one lineman without a true position that can fill it at either tackle or guard. I don't think we need another one. Omiyale and St Clair are versatile, which sounds nice but probably means they aren't good enough at any one position to stick there. It's nice to have one guy on your line that can fill nearly any position, but I don't want a whole line full of them.

St Clair played LT for us left year, but he didn't play it very well--I think he gave up the most sacks of any starting lineman in the league. He played RT earlier in his career and was nicknamed "The Turnstile".

And if you ask yourself what position is his natural position, you probably can't answer, because he doesn't have one, and I don't think that's a good thing.

I'm obviously not in agreement with Angelo, but I'd much rather have Barnes than St Clair. We already have one lineman without a true position that can fill it at either tackle or guard. I don't think we need another one. Omiyale and St Clair are versatile, which sounds nice but probably means they aren't good enough at any one position to stick there. It's nice to have one guy on your line that can fill nearly any position, but I don't want a whole line full of them.

St Clair played LT for us left year, but he didn't play it very well--I think he gave up the most sacks of any starting lineman in the league. He played RT earlier in his career and was nicknamed "The Turnstile".

And if you ask yourself what position is his natural position, you probably can't answer, because he doesn't have one, and I don't think that's a good thing.

IMHO St. Clair is a better guard than a tackle. He is big and slow.

I thought Fred Miller was the turnstyle.

Sounds like Barnes is the backup plan if the Bears can't sign St. Clair. The below is from the Sun Times

The Bears could get something done very soon with their own unrestricted free agent lineman, John St. Clair. But if St. Clair takes another offer they'll be left to consider scrambling for someone like the 6-foot-5, 325-pound Barnes. -- Chicago Sun-Times

If they are going after Barnes the Bears will want him in this minicamp in a week. The clock is ticking on St Clair.

I would much rather have Barnes than St.Clair. They both are marginal pass blockers, but Barnes is a beast to run behind. We would have to pay more for Barnes, but IMO that would still pay greater dividend. That would allow us to be more comfortable with grabbing more BPA in the draft.

(a) He didn't play well last year, but was playing LT. Many feel he would do much better at RT, which is where we would be looking at him for.

(B) While he didn't play well last year, he still was better than St. Clair, who led the league in sacks given up.

© It doesn't seem like he is going to get a major contract, and when looking at our OL, we need all the help we can get.

Is he an ideal option? Hell no. But is he better than St. Clair. I honestly do not know, but I do not think the answer is so cut and dry.

Barnes sucks ass... I'm still trying to figure out why people want us to waste money on him.

I was curious to see the comment in one of the papers today about Barnes playing for the Jaguars who are Oline deficient. If they felt he had value at OG or RT why would they just cut him outright? While this guy seems to have physical talent I'm getting the feeling that there is more to the story. We see it every year, a player who on the surface seems like a decent player but gets very little interest in FA. Then later in the year something leaks about either bad attitude, poor work habits, or violation of the NFL substance abuse policy, or he's asking for the moon in his contract and nobody wants to give it to him. We'll be hearing more about Barnes later this offseason that will shed light on why he's getting so little interest in FA.