Players I hope we're still looking at

bradjock

I like to think we're not going to wait until after the draft to just sign players off the scrap-heap. Here's some guys who are still available I hope like hell we're thinking about trying to sign:

Byron Leftwich: What the heck happened to him anyway? He was supposed to be the best free agent quarterback available, and I haven't even heard a rumor about him other then he might resign with Pittsburgh. He's proven he's a good back-up and he'd definitely keep Orton on his toes.

Khalif Barnes: At 26 years old, he could be our starting RT for the next 6 years. I'd like to sign him AND St. Clair.

Jared Page: At 6-0, 220 lbs, he's considered a big free safety. That's exactly what the Bears need. He is a restricted free agent for Kansas City, but I wonder how much immediate cap space they have left after the Cassell deal? We stole Tait from the Chiefs when he was restricted . . .

D.J. Hackett: He's extremely injury prone, but ESPN has him rated very high and I love what they had to say about him:

Hackett has excellent size and above-average straight-line speed. His long stride can be deceptive and allow him to get behind a secondary. He can use his long frame and excellent catching radius to get over defenders and catch in traffic. He has become a legitimate red-zone threat. He has excellent hand-eye coordination and consistently plucks the ball away from his frame. He shows a decent burst out of breaks and can separate from defenders with his cutting skills. He still needs work on his route running, but is learning how to set up defenders and avoid telegraphing his intentions. He lacks great top-end speed and won't blow by many defenders on go routes. His durability is questionable. Hackett started to come into his own in 2007, but he missed most of the season's first half and four games late because of ankle injuries. In four NFL seasons, he has yet to play a full 16-game schedule.

I like to think we're not going to wait until after the draft to just sign players off the scrap-heap. Here's some guys who are still available I hope like hell we're thinking about trying to sign:

Byron Leftwich: What the heck happened to him anyway? He was supposed to be the best free agent quarterback available, and I haven't even heard a rumor about him other then he might resign with Pittsburgh. He's proven he's a good back-up and he'd definitely keep Orton on his toes.

Khalif Barnes: At 26 years old, he could be our starting RT for the next 6 years. I'd like to sign him AND St. Clair.

Jared Page: At 6-0, 220 lbs, he's considered a big free safety. That's exactly what the Bears need. He is a restricted free agent for Kansas City, but I wonder how much immediate cap space they have left after the Cassell deal? We stole Tait from the Chiefs when he was restricted . . .

D.J. Hackett: He's extremely injury prone, but ESPN has him rated very high and I love what they had to say about him:

Hackett has excellent size and above-average straight-line speed. His long stride can be deceptive and allow him to get behind a secondary. He can use his long frame and excellent catching radius to get over defenders and catch in traffic. He has become a legitimate red-zone threat. He has excellent hand-eye coordination and consistently plucks the ball away from his frame. He shows a decent burst out of breaks and can separate from defenders with his cutting skills. He still needs work on his route running, but is learning how to set up defenders and avoid telegraphing his intentions. He lacks great top-end speed and won't blow by many defenders on go routes. His durability is questionable. Hackett started to come into his own in 2007, but he missed most of the season's first half and four games late because of ankle injuries. In four NFL seasons, he has yet to play a full 16-game schedule.

We need all the Offensive help possible and would not mind adding more OL and WR help. I like Jared Page as well and he would fit in nicely. Not sure about Byron Leftwhich and would rather draft a prosepct like Bomar to develop. Although I do not love Kyle as "the QB of the Future" for the Bears I do feel Orton has shown that when healthy he is very capable of managing the offense and would be fine with him next year.

Those are players that still could help, the only problem is Page would cost a 2nd pick if we sign him. Also some other WRs that might be able to help us is like Furry who could replace Davis. Curry/Oak is still there, Porter/Jags, if he can be gotten cheap. Kwamie Harris/OT from Oakland(played well before he fell on his face last year), Weaver/FB/Seahawks young and better than what we have there, Bodden/CB/Lions rated high or McFadden/CB/Pitts grab one of them and move Graham to FS.

Like some others have said, I just don't see this as a god fit. I actually always liked him, but I just don't see him being a good fit for us. If we had a really good OL, maybe, but while I felt Orton made the OL look better than it was last year, I think Leftwhich would make our OL look even worse than they are, which is pretty bad to start w/.

I would not mind this at all, but at this point, I don't see it. He has visited several teams, and we have not been among them. IMHO, Angelo likely views St. Clair as either equal or better, and simply views SC as the player for us to add, rather than Barnes.

I don't know Page's situation, but I do not believe it is the same as Tait. Tait was slapped w/ the transition tag, which means KC had the right to match a deal offered, but if he didn't, there was zero compensation. Assuming Page is simply a RFA who KC tendered an offer, that would mean we would have to compensate KC for signing him. Now, I guess the question is, what level did they tender him, but most RFAs are tendered at a 2nd round pick or even a 1st and 3rd.

Hey, at this point, beggers can't be choosers. at the same time, if what we need is consistency and stability, is Hackett a WR we can rely on?