Hey, it's a free safety!

dawhizz

http://blogs.suntimes.com/bears/2009/03/be...sh_bullock.html

I remember liking him when he was coming out, but getting a guy from the terrible New Orleans secondary does not seem like the best move.

:headbang We got a firestorm going now, by the end of the week there will be 4 more bodies dropping to the Bears.

I know very little of him, but here's his stats...

http://www.nfl.com/players/joshbullocks/profile?id=BUL538299

At least he's a starter. Don't know much else about him and obviously he wasn't exactly highly sout after. Than again, neither was Green and he turned into a pretty good safety after the Bears traded him.

Sooo.....

The Bears O-Line sucked. They bring in a guy to play guard that in his one NFL start his team rearranged the line so he wouldn't have to play guard.

The Bears secondary sucked. They get rid of their only productive safety and bring in a guy from one of the if not the worst secondaries in the league.

Bravo Bears, Bravo!!!

More info from the 2005 draft... "Nevermind the Bullocks...it's the Ex Saints"

http://www.neworleansprofootball.com/04230...class05.html#40

40th Overall Selection - Second round

Safety Josh Bullocks, Nebraska

6'0", 200 - LISTEN! - Interview Transcript

Bullocks if a fast, very intelligent player with great playmaking skills. Not a super-speedster as he's not athletic enough to play cornerback, but is very quick and can match up in various defensive situations. Ran in the 4.5 range this offseason, including a pair of disappointing runs under 4.6 at the Combine. Did show excellent balls skills at the Combine. Bullocks had 13 career interceptions at Nebraska. He has a twin brother, Daniel, is also a safety with the Cornhuskers. Is not a big hitter, and after a spectacular sophomore season Bullocks had a less impressive junior year then left early before his season season. Saints head coach Jim Haslett admitted that Bullocks had a down year in 2004 but the rookie appears to be in a good situation to learn the pro game before being asked to play right away on defense. A Tennessee native, Bullocks ran track in high school and was a runningback who took handoffs from his brother. Saints Impact: Bullocks is a good value pick and was desired by the Dallas Cowboys. Not a need pick, because the Saints already have their safeties set for 2005 with Dwight Smith at free and Jay Bellamy at strong. Bullocks is a natural free safety. "Great ball skills," Jim Haslett said after the pick. "He's got the stature for a safety and obviously he can make plays because he's proven it in the past. We feel good about Dwight and Jay, whose had two good exceptional years in the past. I don't think you can have enough safeties. We'd like to carry five safeties if we could." Other Options: Tennessee LB Kevin Burnett, Georgia LB Odell Thurman, Virginia LB Darryl Blackstock, Florida LB Channing Crowder, LSU CB Corey Webster, USC LB Lofa Tatupu.

I remember liking him when he was coming out, but getting a guy from the terrible New Orleans secondary does not seem like the best move.

I also liked him coming out and its ironic that he gets a chance to replace another former Cornhusker. I watched the way Zack Bowman played in the one game he got a chance to play in and maybe what ever they teach at Nebraska may translate well to the Bears system.

I also liked him coming out and its ironic that he gets a chance to replace another former Cornhusker. I watched the way Zack Bowman played in the one game he got a chance to play in and maybe what ever they teach at Nebraska may translate well to the Bears system.

They say the knock on him is not a good tackler, he preformed better his rookie season and seem to fall off alot last year. Maybe he had some issues with the coaches and a change of address can restart him. He was the 3rd saftey taken in the 2005 draft and was a stud in college,. maybe he can be a better player here. At least another body to take a flyer at, the more bodies the better chance of finding a diamond in the rough. I wasnt very settled with Steltz as the starter.

This move really shows how CHEAP and unwilling to get real talent on the field. Before the offseason began I did a rundown of all the Free Safties there were. The only one that I saw worth getting was Otogwe. As soon as that was gone it was slim pickins. Might as well just keep Mike Brown and get a FS in the draft. But, we shun Mike Brown and get this GARBAGE? Bullocks was rated as the worst FS. He is coming from the worst secondary in the NFL.

I can hear Angelo say, "he comes cheap so we might as well pick him up for a new project". If we were going to be a REAL team, we would have tried for at least Sharper. At this point I am so fed up with how this offseason has turned out and the rumors of Angelo being tied down by the owners are killing me. This really makes me wonder where this franchise has come. We have been a pretty big laughing stock these past couple years. And you wonder why the Chicago writers even hate the Bears.

I'm sorry for the vent, but I know I'm not the only one that feels this way.

This move really shows how CHEAP and unwilling to get real talent on the field. Before the offseason began I did a rundown of all the Free Safties there were. The only one that I saw worth getting was Otogwe. As soon as that was gone it was slim pickins. Might as well just keep Mike Brown and get a FS in the draft. But, we shun Mike Brown and get this GARBAGE? Bullocks was rated as the worst FS. He is coming from the worst secondary in the NFL.

I can hear Angelo say, "he comes cheap so we might as well pick him up for a new project". If we were going to be a REAL team, we would have tried for at least Sharper. At this point I am so fed up with how this offseason has turned out and the rumors of Angelo being tied down by the owners are killing me. This really makes me wonder where this franchise has come. We have been a pretty big laughing stock these past couple years. And you wonder why the Chicago writers even hate the Bears.

He has signed for one year, $1.2 million with $525,000 guaranteed. If he's a complete failure he'll be cut after TC. And best of all, he is a natural FS. I can't say it's not a at least a decent deal. No safety on the roster last year could cover anything. Sorry but that's why Mike Brown was let go into FA. Sharper is old as well and a Strong Safety. Not exactly what is needed in Chicago ATM.

Edit: Full contract numbers from http://blogs.suntimes.com/bears/2009/03/bu..._revisited.html

Sharper is a SS. So if we get him we have the same situation as last year. Two SS playing.

Nothing wrong with this signing.

You see this is a cheap, I see this as a great deal. If he doesn't work out, they cut him and it only costs 525k. Mike Brown cannot play FS anymore (he has lost a step). Further, he does not have the durability to play SS either. Once he was switched to SS, he was unable to finish 3 games and then went on IR. Mike Brown is one of my favorite all time Bears but it is clear to me he is done.

Peace :dabears

Sharper is a SS. So if we get him we have the same situation as last year. Two SS playing.

Nothing wrong with this signing.

Agree with the signing, gives us an experienced starter as a backup or emergency starter. Cheap enough to cut if necessary. Mike Brown was a SS, we have younger, healthier SSs on our roster. I like JAs ability to draft Safties. My guess is we will draft a FS on day 2. We may still add another FS with experience once cuts are made this summer.

Well, you guys definatly calmed me down a little bit, but I have seen this guy get burned quite a few times. I remember watching a game last year and I was wondering who the heck that #29 was because he got burned twice. I thought it was Jason David, but it was Bullocks. He seems to have upside, but I hope our new DB coach (can't remember his name) from the Texans can teach him a few things. Or maybe the Tampa 2 might be a better strong suite for him. But the irony of this is that his only interception came from Da Bears.

Thank christ the Craig Steltz days of starting free safety will soon come to an end.

This isn't a great signing, but it was necessary. What other free safety is out there? We've upgraded.

Ultimately we need to draft a safety real damn high in the draft, either round one or two.

Here's what ESPN.com had to say about him:

Bullock is a five-year veteran who has been a starter for all of the previous four seasons. He is a good-sized safety with good top-end speed with above-average quickness and agility in coverage. He is a little stiff in his pedal and tends to play erect, which causes him to miss some tackles in space. He builds to speed more than being explosive or immediate. He is a little stiff in the hips and comes out of his pedal in stages, which causes him to lose speed and relationship to receivers. He is not real direct, when transitioning to close on the pass and tends to round things off, but will show a decent burst to close on the ball, once he gets realigned. He shows good route awareness and can read the quarterback's eyes to get a jump on the ball, but is not a great ball hawk and often gets there after the catch. He is inconsistent wrapping up and often chooses to try and knock the ball carrier down, rather than wrap up and form tackle. He is willing in run support, but is not a real physical player unless he can hit on angles, rather than heads up. He is an adequate starter but does not stand out in any one phase of the game.

This move sucks... I was really hoping they were considering signing Ken Lucas (released by the panthers) and finally following thru with the idea of moving tillman to FS after all we do like picking up former panthers as they like picking up former bears lol. I would feel a lot more comfortable with graham and lucas as the cb's and tillman and payne as the safety tandem then we could have used vasher as the nickel. Who knows they may still try to get him but I have a feeling they are playing a cheap year this year and are content with mediocrity which is why we still have babich on the coaching staff. Oh well this is nothing more than JA and Lovie sealing their fate at season's end. You can only blame yourself JA!

This is a GREAT pickup. There is a great trend developing here with products from Nebraska (former Bear Mike Brown) and last year stud Zachary Bowman (who also graduated from an Alaskan High School). Bullocks is one that I didn't think of but should most definitely be a great value addition and quality player. Nice work Angelo!!!!!

:headbang

This move sucks... I was really hoping they were considering signing Ken Lucas (released by the panthers) and finally following thru with the idea of moving tillman to FS after all we do like picking up former panthers as they like picking up former bears lol. I would feel a lot more comfortable with graham and lucas as the cb's and tillman and payne as the safety tandem then we could have used vasher as the nickel. Who knows they may still try to get him but I have a feeling they are playing a cheap year this year and are content with mediocrity which is why we still have babich on the coaching staff. Oh well this is nothing more than JA and Lovie sealing their fate at season's end. You can only blame yourself JA!

Lets face a few facts here, the only real true FSs in free agency that were any good was Atogwe/Rams and a distant second Wilson/ Texans the rest are old and SSs. Its not a big risk to bring in a body to give it a shot, I bet he beats out Stelz, and unless we bring in a high draft pick,. will have the job. We can only hope he plays well and we had a good signing. I always look to the positive side of everything and if it doesnt work out then I will bitch about it. I want bodies and hope some come thru. I want more bodies.

Have any of you guys seen this yet? Oy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYJhqDm0L-A

Hopefully it's because of the system and coaching he has had at NO. You have to admit, almost all the DB's at NO have been terrible the past few seasons.

I was searching for his draft profile but can't seem to find it, but remember reading it before FA started that scouts thought he would excel in the Tampa-2 system for some reason. Lets hope he pans out, or at least can be a band aid until a high draft pick can be developed.