What about this guy at RT?

Wesson44

BROWNS CUT SHAFFER

Posted by Aaron Wilson on March 12, 2009, 6:13 p.m.

The Cleveland Browns cut starting right offensive tackle Kevin Shaffer today rather than pay him a pending $1.5 million roster bonus, according to Adam Caplan of Scout.com.

Per a source, Caplan reports that the Browns created $1.45 million in salary-cap room for 2009. Yet, the team will still be forced to hold $4.56 million in dead money due to the proration of the guaranteed money remaining over the final four years of his contract.

Agent Alan Herman, who represents Shaffer, said that the Browns are still interested in possibly re-signing Shaffer.

Ryan Tucker is expected to replace Shaffer in the starting lineup.

According to NFL.com, Shaffer started 15 games for the Browns last season. In seven NFL seasons, Shaffer has started 86 games.

UPDATE: Now, the Browns have officially announced in a press release that Shaffer has been cut.

Still this might put pressure on St. Clair to sign if we give him a look

What I read on him, was the weak link in the offensive line. He performed much better two years ago. Maybe he just had a bad year or nagging injuries. He has been a starter so is worth a look, new scenery might light a fire under him. We just simply need more bodies and let competition decide who plays.

As much as I want to add to our OL, at the same time, I want to upgrade, and I am not sure he is an upgrade. He was never considered good, but two years ago, everything clicked for Cle, including him, yet last year he was back to poor form. I want an upgrade, but I just do not see him as an upgrade, and would rather just sign SC.

W/ that said, at this point, I am really hoping we pass on adding any OTs prior to the draft. I still just fear that if we add a FA OT, we will pass on OT in the draft, and I would rather Angelo feel adding an OT early is an absolute must.

What I read on him, was the weak link in the offensive line. He performed much better two years ago. Maybe he just had a bad year or nagging injuries. He has been a starter so is worth a look, new scenery might light a fire under him. We just simply need more bodies and let competition decide who plays.

As much as I want to add to our OL, at the same time, I want to upgrade, and I am not sure he is an upgrade. He was never considered good, but two years ago, everything clicked for Cle, including him, yet last year he was back to poor form. I want an upgrade, but I just do not see him as an upgrade, and would rather just sign SC.

W/ that said, at this point, I am really hoping we pass on adding any OTs prior to the draft. I still just fear that if we add a FA OT, we will pass on OT in the draft, and I would rather Angelo feel adding an OT early is an absolute must.

We still need to sign SC and draft a RT in the draft. SC is 32 so a couple of years of him as a starter and swing tackle would give us better depth.

If I believed that would happen, I would be all for adding SC prior to the draft, but I simply believe that if we add SC before the draft, we will not take an OT in round one. This is simply what I believe. I think Angelo simply does not value OL as much as other positions, and only takes OL high in the draft when his back is against the wall (2002/2008). Otherwise, he takes the "BPA" which in his evaluation, is never an OL.

If we do not sign SC, my hope is Angelo feels pressured to once again draft an OT. If we have SC on the roster, and our other "big" FA signing was an OT/OG, I just do not see him going OL day one of the draft, much less round one.

We still need to sign SC and draft a RT in the draft. SC is 32 so a couple of years of him as a starter and swing tackle would give us better depth.

If I believed that would happen, I would be all for adding SC prior to the draft, but I simply believe that if we add SC before the draft, we will not take an OT in round one. This is simply what I believe. I think Angelo simply does not value OL as much as other positions, and only takes OL high in the draft when his back is against the wall (2002/2008). Otherwise, he takes the "BPA" which in his evaluation, is never an OL.

If we do not sign SC, my hope is Angelo feels pressured to once again draft an OT. If we have SC on the roster, and our other "big" FA signing was an OT/OG, I just do not see him going OL day one of the draft, much less round one.

I agree, but I also think that JA will sign SC. I hope like heck that they draft some OL help early and often, but SSC signing might give JA and Lovie a false sense of fixing the problem, which it won't.