If you asked me

Wesson44

EAGLES CONTINUING TALKS WITH FULLBACK

Posted by Aaron Wilson on March 12, 2009, 12:08 p.m.

The Philadelphia Eagles are negotiating with Seattle Seahawks free agent fullback Leonard Weaver, with talks currently in the preliminary stage, according to Bob Brookover of the Philadelphia Inquirer.

A team source said that negotiations aren't serious yet. Weaver's agent, Harold Lewis, had a similar take on the situation.

Right now, we're just talking, Lewis told the Inquirer. We're talking with many other teams as well. There's a lot of interest because Leonard is the No. 1 fullback on the board. He's definitely not the average bear.

He's an excellent receiver, runner, and blocker. The fullback pay scale doesn't reflect his talents. We're just trying to find the right situation and the right contract. We can always go back to Seattle, because they'd like to have him back.

Weaver has rushed for 276 yards with one touchdown over the past two seasons with 59 receptions for 535 yards and two touchdown catches.

According to NFL.com, the 26-year-old former undrafted free agent rushed for 130 yards on 30 carries last season. In four NFL seasons, the former Carson-Newman player has gained 356 yards and has a 4.4 rushing average.

The Philadelphia Eagles are negotiating with Seattle Seahawks free agent fullback Leonard Weaver, with talks currently in the preliminary stage, according to Bob Brookover of the Philadelphia Inquirer.

A team source said that negotiations aren't serious yet. Weaver's agent, Harold Lewis, had a similar take on the situation.

Right now, we're just talking, Lewis told the Inquirer. We're talking with many other teams as well. There's a lot of interest because Leonard is the No. 1 fullback on the board. He's definitely not the average bear.

He's an excellent receiver, runner, and blocker. The fullback pay scale doesn't reflect his talents. We're just trying to find the right situation and the right contract. We can always go back to Seattle, because they'd like to have him back.

Weaver has rushed for 276 yards with one touchdown over the past two seasons with 59 receptions for 535 yards and two touchdown catches.

According to NFL.com, the 26-year-old former undrafted free agent rushed for 130 yards on 30 carries last season. In four NFL seasons, the former Carson-Newman player has gained 356 yards and has a 4.4 rushing average.

A definiate upgrade and would help the running game out, and would command a large contract, its a fullback.

A definiate upgrade and would help the running game out, and would command a large contract, its a fullback.

If you're going to be a running team and have the cap space, I think he'd be worth the contract. I've been wanting a real fullback on the Bears for years.

I meant wouldNT command a large contract.

Weaver's contract might be larger than you think, I bet. Per Rotoworld, Weaver's agent wants him to be paid like a tailback, not a fullback. It's a fair thing to ask for: he's a very good receiver and a legitimate running threat. Early on in his career, he was basically a jumbo HB, and the knock on him was his blocking. He's gotten a lot better as a lead blocker now, though, and he's still really good running the ball.

Weaver would be an awesome pickup, but I haven't heard anything about the Bears being interested. It'd be nice to take some of the short-yardage workload off Forte, though, and Ron Turner's FB dive would actually be a usable play.

Why do we need Weaver? We have McKie. J/K.

Along w/ the OL, I have wanted a legit FB for years and could never understand why we liked McKie. He is a weak blocker. He can't run the ball. He supposedly can catch, but so what. He makes a 3 yard catch and is immediately tackles. If the key asset of a FB is receiving, I would expect him to be capable of doing more after the catch.

Angelo likes the type of FB that can do it all. Personally, while that sounds nice, I would settle for a FB that can simply blow holes open for Forte to run through. At this point, I would love to have a FB like Damien Shelton, who was very one dimensional, yet also very good in that one dimension.

Weaver's contract might be larger than you think, I bet. Per Rotoworld, Weaver's agent wants him to be paid like a tailback, not a fullback. It's a fair thing to ask for: he's a very good receiver and a legitimate running threat. Early on in his career, he was basically a jumbo HB, and the knock on him was his blocking. He's gotten a lot better as a lead blocker now, though, and he's still really good running the ball.

Weaver would be an awesome pickup, but I haven't heard anything about the Bears being interested. It'd be nice to take some of the short-yardage workload off Forte, though, and Ron Turner's FB dive would actually be a usable play.

Angelo likes the type of FB that can do it all. Personally, while that sounds nice, I would settle for a FB that can simply blow holes open for Forte to run through. At this point, I would love to have a FB like Damien Shelton, who was very one dimensional, yet also very good in that one dimension.

Yeah, it'd be nice to have a guy like Weaver, who's a good blocker and a legit threat with the ball, but I'd definitely be happy with a strictly blocking fullback, as long as he was good at it. Isn't Lorenzo Neal a free agent? There's a dude who can throw a block.

Why do we need Weaver? We have McKie. J/K.

Along w/ the OL, I have wanted a legit FB for years and could never understand why we liked McKie. He is a weak blocker. He can't run the ball. He supposedly can catch, but so what. He makes a 3 yard catch and is immediately tackles. If the key asset of a FB is receiving, I would expect him to be capable of doing more after the catch.

I dont like McKie either. I wanted us to keep that Politte guy that we cut and he was signed by Miami. That guy was truckin people in preseason.

I've been saying it for a while we should go after Weaver, but there doesn't seem to be much interest in our part. I'd love to sign Weaver, cut McKie (and Davis), and maybe draft Quinn Johnson in the 5th, if he's there (if we draft Johnson, cut Peterson).

Like someone said eariler if we are a running team ten you need a guy like Weaver, not a sissy FB like McKie. Having Weaver would do a lot for the game plan of our offense. He can block(better than McKie) so this will open more holes for Forte. He can run and catch making our running game more unpredictable. We could use Weaver like the Ravens use McClain & McGhee

The only argument I can see for not going after a guy like Weaver, is that we seem to be putting less importance on the fullback position, and more on the TE. Last year McKie sat more and gave way to the Olsen, Desmond Clark combo. I expect to see one helluva a lot more from the 6-7, 267 lb Kellen Davis this year. Supposedly we spent a ton of time last year concentrating on him being a better blocker.

That being said, I agree I'd much rather have a "bowling-ball" type blocking FB.

yeah, I'm with you guys on FB. First, I thought Polite was the better FB last preseason. Second, I prefer a hammer in there. It seems we say we're a running team first, and then we keep bringing in linemen who are better pass blockers (Chris Williams versus the other OTs on the board) and keep a FB who is best as a receiver. BTW, McKie, supposedly, is adept at running with the ball as far as FBs go...eesh. Seems we're sacrificing a lot in terms of run blocking for the extra lift that this guy gives us as a runner/receiver, which is about 10 carries and 20 receptions a year...and the lift on those plays versus something a Marc Edwards type would give us cannot be all that.

yeah, I'm with you guys on FB. First, I thought Polite was the better FB last preseason. Second, I prefer a hammer in there. It seems we say we're a running team first, and then we keep bringing in linemen who are better pass blockers (Chris Williams versus the other OTs on the board) and keep a FB who is best as a receiver. BTW, McKie, supposedly, is adept at running with the ball as far as FBs go...eesh. Seems we're sacrificing a lot in terms of run blocking for the extra lift that this guy gives us as a runner/receiver, which is about 10 carries and 20 receptions a year...and the lift on those plays versus something a Marc Edwards type would give us cannot be all that.

Put me in that category as well. I've gone as far to say to convert an angry athletic OG or DT, trim him down to 260 and just tell him to start running over people. I know the odds are not in favor of that being successfull. but, it's better than nothing. Agreed on the OL analogy as well. If a team gets off the bus running, the OL should be stocked with maulers and pile drivers. That identity imposes it's will on the opponent in the 4th quarter.

Put me in that category as well. I've gone as far to say to convert an angry athletic OG or DT, trim him down to 260 and just tell him to start running over people. I know the odds are not in favor of that being successfull. but, it's better than nothing. Agreed on the OL analogy as well. If a team gets off the bus running, the OL should be stocked with maulers and pile drivers. That identity imposes it's will on the opponent in the 4th quarter.

All the coaches have to do is look at the 85 Bears when they had the Fridge running as a fullback for Payton. Whan the Giants still had Barber before he retired the lined a OG up at TE to add more blocking. I have noticed that other teams also line up lineman in the backfield as fullbacks and they don't get off the bus running McKie is soft when it comes to blocking and Weaver would be a hammer.