No Wrs Picked Donnie Avery

Devin Thomas

James Hardy

Eddie Royal

DeSean Jackson

Malcolm Kelly

Limas Sweed

Dexter Jackson

Nine of these players were in last year's playoffs and two of them put on one of the best performances in the most recent Super Bowl. So why not draft a WR in the first or 2nd round? It seems like the most mistakes on this list have come from teams from the NFC North.

I don't think anyone has simply written off WR in round one, much less day one. But if you look at your own list, while there are hits, the percentage is simply not as good as in other positions, like OT, which has to be our top need right now w/ St. Clair not even a potential RT. I don't care who you have at WR, if the QB has only 3 steps (or less) worth of time to get rid of the ball, I doubt your offense will have much success.

I would add that, at least IMHO, better value can be found at WR in round two than for OT.

Here's a list of the WR's drafted in rounds 1and 2 since 2004:Bear Picks*

Round 1 Round 2

Larry Fitzgerald Devery Henderson

Roy Williams Darius Watts

Reggie Williams Keary Colbert

Lee Evans

Michael Clayton

Michael Jenkins

Rashaun Woods

Round 1 Round 2

Braylon Edwards Reggie Brown

Troy Williamson Mark Bradley*

Mike Williams Roscoe Parrish

Matt Jones Terrence Murphy

Mark Clayton Vincent Jackson

Roddy White

Round 1 Round 2

Santonio Holmes Chad Jackson

Sinorice Moss

Greg Jennings

Devin Hester*

Round 1 Round 2

Calvin Johnson Sidney Rice

Ted Ginn Jr. Dwayne Jarrett

Steve Smith

Round 1 Round 2

No Wrs Picked Donnie Avery

Devin Thomas

James Hardy

Eddie Royal

DeSean Jackson

Malcolm Kelly

Limas Sweed

Dexter Jackson

Nine of these players were in last year's playoffs and two of them put on one of the best performances in the most recent Super Bowl. So why not draft a WR in the first or 2nd round? It seems like the most mistakes on this list have come from teams from the NFC North.

Another issue is that WR is a position where developing a solid one even after drafting them takes a couple of seasons. If you're looking to win next year, an O-Lineman is much more likely to be ready to step in and contribute on day one. Even a first round WR is likely to wind up in the Bennett situation from last year, spending a lot of time on the bench because there's so much more he needs to learn to be effective at that position.

W/ the understanding I want to draft OL all the way, I am not sure your statement is true anymore.

Used to be, WRs took 3 years to develop. It was near freakish how exact this was, and across the board. But for some years now, more and more rookie WRs either (a) provide legit production to help their team or (B) become major parts of the offense, and even stars, as a rookie. The list only expands if you look at 2nd year players. Why the change, i am not sure, but I think it is definitely there.

As for OL, I think it is a tad bit of a misconception that OL is easier to just slide in as a rookie. Heck, Angelo himself said he views OL as one of the hardest position to transition, and used that logic to explain why he preferred veterans over drafting OL.

Another issue is that WR is a position where developing a solid one even after drafting them takes a couple of seasons. If you're looking to win next year, an O-Lineman is much more likely to be ready to step in and contribute on day one. Even a first round WR is likely to wind up in the Bennett situation from last year, spending a lot of time on the bench because there's so much more he needs to learn to be effective at that position.

W/ the understanding I want to draft OL all the way, I am not sure your statement is true anymore.

Used to be, WRs took 3 years to develop. It was near freakish how exact this was, and across the board. But for some years now, more and more rookie WRs either (a) provide legit production to help their team or (B) become major parts of the offense, and even stars, as a rookie. The list only expands if you look at 2nd year players. Why the change, i am not sure, but I think it is definitely there.

As for OL, I think it is a tad bit of a misconception that OL is easier to just slide in as a rookie. Heck, Angelo himself said he views OL as one of the hardest position to transition, and used that logic to explain why he preferred veterans over drafting OL.

Agreed and you might think that he might be a little more apprehensive since his to OT number one picks have had injury issues.There is only a couple of skill positions left that JA has not selected in the first round since he has been here and WR is one of them.He has not drafted any players on the perimeter in the first round be it WR,CB or OLB.