Private workouts

Ed Hochuli 3:16

So far, according to either the Times or NFL.com, the Bears have had/will have private workouts with Phil Loadholt (RT, Oklahoma), Hakeem Nicks (WR, North Carolina), and Eben Britton (RT, Arizona). They also really like Herman Johnson (OG, LSU), along with Tampa and San Diego.

Just wanted your guys' thoughts on this.

So far, according to either the Times or NFL.com, the Bears have had/will have private workouts with Phil Loadholt (RT, Oklahoma), Hakeem Nicks (WR, North Carolina), and Eben Britton (RT, Arizona). They also really like Herman Johnson (OG, LSU), along with Tampa and San Diego.

great post, my ideal draft would be britton in the first, nicks in the second, and johnson in the third, we'll see how it plays out in a month, but this is definitely good to see. Britton is rated as on of the pure RT in the draft and to get him and johnson would surely shore the line up for the next 10-15 years. Here's what we could look like in a year from now:

LT - Williams LG - Omilaye/buenning C - Kreutz/ beekman RG - Johnson/ garza RT - Britton/ omilaye(swing tackle)

looks pretty solid to me anyone else think that???

Nicks in the 2nd? I doubt he gets out of the 1st, and may not last long if we pass on him.

Agreed on Britton though.

great post, my ideal draft would be britton in the first, nicks in the second, and johnson in the third, we'll see how it plays out in a month, but this is definitely good to see. Britton is rated as on of the pure RT in the draft and to get him and johnson would surely shore the line up for the next 10-15 years. Here's what we could look like in a year from now:

LT - Williams LG - Omilaye/buenning C - Kreutz/ beekman RG - Johnson/ garza RT - Britton/ omilaye(swing tackle)

looks pretty solid to me anyone else think that???

I like Nicks or Britton in the first, though I heavily learn toward Britton due to need.

I like Loadholt a lot, but I think he is a huge reach in the 1st, and LONG gone before we pick in the 3rd.

I really would have no problem w/ Johnson in the 3rd, but just have to question our interest in him. We have always gone for the athletic OL. We have never looked at maulers or big boys. While i read we may be trying to add some more size to the OL, this would be a huge, extreme change, and I just wonder how legit our interest is.

Nicks in the 2nd? I doubt he gets out of the 1st, and may not last long if we pass on him.

Agreed on Britton though.

I've seen plenty of mocks saying that Nicks could be one of the 5 WR's (Britt, Nicks, Crabtree, Robiskie, Maclin, and DHB) to fall into the 2nd round. Last year, WR's dropped and it's bound to happen this year to atleast 1 of these guys. I used to think it was going to be Robiskie but with him running a 4.5 40 at the combine that assured himself a late 1st-early 2nd selection.

IMO- the Bears best bet is probably to trade down into the first, then take Nicks with that pick, then Loadholt with their 2nd.

Hey, anything can happen, but in talking about what our plan should be, I just do not believe our plan should include an expectation that a player falls beyond where he is expected to go. That doesn't mean it won't happen, but I question "planning" on it to happen.

I simply see little chance Nicks or Loadholt are there for us in the 2nd round. And last year's draft really is not a good measure for this year in terms of looking at the WRs. Last year, well before the draft, many said the 1st round would likely begin and end w/o a WR taken. While considered a relatively deep group, it was not considered one w/ 1st round talent. This year is nothing similar. There is a WR who many have said could be the best player in the draft. Then there are another 4 or 5 WRs who considered solid 1st round values. Could some slip? Sure. But I simply question expecting it to happen.

I also see little chance Loadholt makes it to our 2nd round pick. Britton is not likely to make it out of the very low 20s. Loadholt is the next highest rated OT, and his stock has been on the rise. That is a long way to go w/o a single team drafting an OT.

I've seen plenty of mocks saying that Nicks could be one of the 5 WR's (Britt, Nicks, Crabtree, Robiskie, Maclin, and DHB) to fall into the 2nd round. Last year, WR's dropped and it's bound to happen this year to atleast 1 of these guys. I used to think it was going to be Robiskie but with him running a 4.5 40 at the combine that assured himself a late 1st-early 2nd selection.

IMO- the Bears best bet is probably to trade down into the first, then take Nicks with that pick, then Loadholt with their 2nd.

There is no way in hell Nicks falls to the second round. There are a lot of drafts but your smarter than most doing the draft. There are some that know there stuff. I think Walters is pretty good, Great Blue North, and Sporting news has former nfl scouts addressing there site. Britt and Robiskie will fall to the second round but will not be there when we pick. Unless we pick one in the first, will have to second tier WR.

And what tier RT will we have if we pass in the 1st.

Loadholt will be gone, and I would call it 50/50 on Beatty even being there. Who is next? Opinions vary, but I'll say this. I see a sizable dropoff after these guys, and as we very well could be looking for that guy to start day one, things could get real scary.

At WR, while there is little question there is a great need, I just do not see the need being close to that of a starting RT.

If our #2 WR is Bennett, few will be thrilled, however, Orton would still have Hester, Olsen, Clark and Forte who can catch the ball. Ideal situation? No. But a heck of a lot better than our QB being on his back after every snap.

There is no way in hell Nicks falls to the second round. There are a lot of drafts but your smarter than most doing the draft. There are some that know there stuff. I think Walters is pretty good, Great Blue North, and Sporting news has former nfl scouts addressing there site. Britt and Robiskie will fall to the second round but will not be there when we pick. Unless we pick one in the first, will have to second tier WR.

And what tier RT will we have if we pass in the 1st.

Loadholt will be gone, and I would call it 50/50 on Beatty even being there. Who is next? Opinions vary, but I'll say this. I see a sizable dropoff after these guys, and as we very well could be looking for that guy to start day one, things could get real scary.

At WR, while there is little question there is a great need, I just do not see the need being close to that of a starting RT.

If our #2 WR is Bennett, few will be thrilled, however, Orton would still have Hester, Olsen, Clark and Forte who can catch the ball. Ideal situation? No. But a heck of a lot better than our QB being on his back after every snap.

I completely agree NFO. I think we should go Oline in the 1st and then either Oline or WR in the 2nd. I like Oher in the 1st and either Robiskie/loadholt in the 2nd.

Hell, I think we could go OL even after that :)

I would love to get Oher in the 1st, but would be quite happy w/ Britton also. In Britton, I see a tremendous RT prospect. I actually think he could be even better than Oher at RT, but in Oher, I see a damn good RT and LT prospect, and while we have Williams, he is FAR from proven, and thus why I like Oher.

In the 2nd round, I would love to get Loadholt, but just see little chance he falls that far. In fact, he seems to be sneaking into the 1st round. I think he could very well be similar to Duane Brown from last year, who was considered a 2nd round pick, but when the OTs flew off the boards, Houston took him at 26.

I consider Loadholt a late 1st/ early 2nd value, but also think his value will go up w/ demand in the draft. I think the idea of Andre Smith falling has come and gone. I also think Oher will be gone before we pick. I think Britton, even if we pass or take Oher, drops no further than 22 (TB, Det, Phily & Minny are all teams who could take him). After that, you just have such a long way until our 2nd round pick, that I have a hard time seeing the next best OT prospect stick around.

I think Robiskie is gone by our 2nd pick as well, but also feel there is a greater chance he could fall. He is viewed as more of a possession WR than a homerun hitter, and such WRs tend to slip more than others, as teams often reach for higher ceiling players. Thus I could see Robiskie falling, but less so w/ Loadholt.

I swear, I think our OL is so weak in terms of starters, and so light in terms of depth, it would not upset me at all if we really went OL heavy this year. Take Britton in round one and grab Duke in round two. We can go WR in round 3, but use another pick in the 3rd or 4th (compensation pick) on another OL.

One thing I would like to prevent is having to make double position changes in case of injury. If we sign Britton and he starts at RT, Omiyale moves inside again. But if either Williams or Britton go down or are not playing well, we would have to make a two position switch as our #3 OT is also our starting OG. I would love to draft two OTs and an OG.

I completely agree NFO. I think we should go Oline in the 1st and then either Oline or WR in the 2nd. I like Oher in the 1st and either Robiskie/loadholt in the 2nd.

Hell, I think we could go OL even after that :)

I would love to get Oher in the 1st, but would be quite happy w/ Britton also. In Britton, I see a tremendous RT prospect. I actually think he could be even better than Oher at RT, but in Oher, I see a damn good RT and LT prospect, and while we have Williams, he is FAR from proven, and thus why I like Oher.

In the 2nd round, I would love to get Loadholt, but just see little chance he falls that far. In fact, he seems to be sneaking into the 1st round. I think he could very well be similar to Duane Brown from last year, who was considered a 2nd round pick, but when the OTs flew off the boards, Houston took him at 26.

I consider Loadholt a late 1st/ early 2nd value, but also think his value will go up w/ demand in the draft. I think the idea of Andre Smith falling has come and gone. I also think Oher will be gone before we pick. I think Britton, even if we pass or take Oher, drops no further than 22 (TB, Det, Phily & Minny are all teams who could take him). After that, you just have such a long way until our 2nd round pick, that I have a hard time seeing the next best OT prospect stick around.

I think Robiskie is gone by our 2nd pick as well, but also feel there is a greater chance he could fall. He is viewed as more of a possession WR than a homerun hitter, and such WRs tend to slip more than others, as teams often reach for higher ceiling players. Thus I could see Robiskie falling, but less so w/ Loadholt.

I swear, I think our OL is so weak in terms of starters, and so light in terms of depth, it would not upset me at all if we really went OL heavy this year. Take Britton in round one and grab Duke in round two. We can go WR in round 3, but use another pick in the 3rd or 4th (compensation pick) on another OL.

One thing I would like to prevent is having to make double position changes in case of injury. If we sign Britton and he starts at RT, Omiyale moves inside again. But if either Williams or Britton go down or are not playing well, we would have to make a two position switch as our #3 OT is also our starting OG. I would love to draft two OTs and an OG.

If we can bring in 2 or even 3 OL picks, I would be happy with that, lets fix the offensive line,and grab some WR and a FS, and go from there. Second tier takles include.Meredirth/SouCar----Kropog/Tul------Tupog/Ore-----Lang/EasMich-----Fulton/ Ill I would like to see us go Nicks in the first, Duke in the second and 4th round Boone/OSU ( big and strong) 41 reps of 225

I love Nicks. I have screamed for Duke for a long time now. At the same time, I just can't help but feel we would be missing out if we passed on RT in the 1st/2nd. You say 2nd tier OTs are.... I would argue those are more like 3rd tier OTs, and w/ a large area between 2nd and 3rd at that. I would actually even say Britton is a borderline 1st/2nd tier OT. Frankly, I think he is a 1st tier OT, but as he is considered strictly as a RT, that makes his tier a tad more questionable, at least for scouts. Loadholt I view as 2nd tier, though the high end of it. I think Beatty is also 2nd tier. But after that? I think there is a pretty wide gap between this group and the next, and question if we expect any OT after this group to start day one, which I think we need.

I simply can not tell you how much I would like to add Nicks, yet at the same time, because of our current situation, I am simply not sure we can afford to. If we had not neglected OL for so many years, maybe we would not be in this situation, but we did, and we are.

If we can bring in 2 or even 3 OL picks, I would be happy with that, lets fix the offensive line,and grab some WR and a FS, and go from there. Second tier takles include.Meredirth/SouCar----Kropog/Tul------Tupog/Ore-----Lang/EasMich-----Fulton/ Ill I would like to see us go Nicks in the first, Duke in the second and 4th round Boone/OSU ( big and strong) 41 reps of 225

I love Nicks. I have screamed for Duke for a long time now. At the same time, I just can't help but feel we would be missing out if we passed on RT in the 1st/2nd. You say 2nd tier OTs are.... I would argue those are more like 3rd tier OTs, and w/ a large area between 2nd and 3rd at that. I would actually even say Britton is a borderline 1st/2nd tier OT. Frankly, I think he is a 1st tier OT, but as he is considered strictly as a RT, that makes his tier a tad more questionable, at least for scouts. Loadholt I view as 2nd tier, though the high end of it. I think Beatty is also 2nd tier. But after that? I think there is a pretty wide gap between this group and the next, and question if we expect any OT after this group to start day one, which I think we need.

I simply can not tell you how much I would like to add Nicks, yet at the same time, because of our current situation, I am simply not sure we can afford to. If we had not neglected OL for so many years, maybe we would not be in this situation, but we did, and we are.

I agree with all of that, how about a top line center or guard that could play tackle? They view Unger and Johnson that way.

Meredith seems like a RT in a ZBS and Kropog seems like a LT. Fulton is an alright pick in the 4th, and Tupou* isn't very strong.

We had a somewhat decent, if inconsistent, passing game last year with a poor Oline. Oline isn't going to help all those drops that would have made a big difference in some games. Adding a rookie WR just isn't likely to change things all that much, history has shown that time and again and especially if the QB has no time to throw. Grab a RT with our first pick and Forte and Orton both get better. Those are known commodities so we can be more confident in that.

That is Lovie's cliche! Just had to point it out that I even have found myself saying that as well! Would love to get 2-3 OL and 2 WR's out of this draft. We can always bring brownie back if there is nothing in the draft and worry about upgrading the "D" next year. It has been far to long of a drought on the drafting of Offensive players for this team and we need to change that this year!