Bennett

nfoligno

I am surprised no one has mentioned this, or maybe I just missed it, but in an interview which the Trib showed, Bennett flat out said he struggled to learn the playbook, and that held him back. He said he didn't understand the playbook until mid season. Even once you understand the playbook, there is a gap between understanding the plays, and knowing them to the point you can play w/ instinct, rather than thinking about the play the whole time.

Most all of us have questioned his absence on the field, but I think this does in fact get Turner off the hook somewhat. Its one thing to look at the failures of our WRs and ask how much worse Bennett could be, but if he didn't even know or understand the plays, I think his sitting on the bench is justified. Being on the field isn't going to help learn the playbook. It is only going to make you look like an idiot, and potentially hinder confidence, and thus development.

Bennett said that around mid season, he begin to understand the playbook, and Turner has said that by the end of the year, he seemed up to speed, which I would take to mean he not only could remember plays, but reached a point where he was playing w/ instinct. So maybe Bennett will be ready to go this year.

I still think WR is a high level need, and would also still love to see us add Holt and a rookie. At the same time, this news does (a) at least in my mind, better explain why Bennett was on the bench and (B) offers a bit of hope we have an in-house player ready to step up and help fill a huge hole.

I am surprised no one has mentioned this, or maybe I just missed it, but in an interview which the Trib showed, Bennett flat out said he struggled to learn the playbook, and that held him back. He said he didn't understand the playbook until mid season. Even once you understand the playbook, there is a gap between understanding the plays, and knowing them to the point you can play w/ instinct, rather than thinking about the play the whole time.

Most all of us have questioned his absence on the field, but I think this does in fact get Turner off the hook somewhat. Its one thing to look at the failures of our WRs and ask how much worse Bennett could be, but if he didn't even know or understand the plays, I think his sitting on the bench is justified. Being on the field isn't going to help learn the playbook. It is only going to make you look like an idiot, and potentially hinder confidence, and thus development.

Bennett said that around mid season, he begin to understand the playbook, and Turner has said that by the end of the year, he seemed up to speed, which I would take to mean he not only could remember plays, but reached a point where he was playing w/ instinct. So maybe Bennett will be ready to go this year.

I still think WR is a high level need, and would also still love to see us add Holt and a rookie. At the same time, this news does (a) at least in my mind, better explain why Bennett was on the bench and (B) offers a bit of hope we have an in-house player ready to step up and help fill a huge hole.

He was a highly productive player in college, I see him doing well, some just take longer to adjust to the nfl.

I heard this on Silvy/Waddle show this afternoon. They seemed to think b/c he took so long to feel comfortable with the play book he was somewhat in the coaches doghouse. Bennett supposedly said he didn't feel comfortable until week 7, and since he really didn't play until the last game, makes me believe he was in the coaches dog house. They said this was the same situation with Mark Bradley.

I think this is a trend and can actually explain some of the poor play by the WR's since Turner took over. This also may explain why we can predict so many plays, just like defenses. If the players can only nail down so many plays, thats all the OC can call during a game.

I was expecting more from him since he started so quickly in college. The NFL is a different beast and Turner's offense isn't that simple, IIRC Olsen had some struggles with plays his first year too. At least Bennett was open to admitting it which I take to be a guy owning up to the fact it was his own limitations that kept him off the field. With an improved Bennett and Hester more up to speed as a WR things should be better for us at the #2 and 3 role. We need a #1 but a decent #2 opposite Hester will suffice this year.

No doubt feedback from the minicamp is deciding how aggressively we pursue a veteran versus waiting for the draft. There was a comment today about Boldin's stock dropping:

http://blogs.suntimes.com/bears/2009/03/fo...march_18_e.html

Not sure where his value is but I was willing to give up our second but if it gets to where we have to give up our 3rd to get him I'd gladly do that. That allows us to use Rd 1 OT, Rd 2 OG/FS. Of those needs I prefer to go FS in Rd 2.

I remember Curtis Conway and Marcus Robinson struggling under Turner when he was here before.I also believe that the position coach should be responsible for trying to get players up to speed with the playbook.That's why I'm convinced that Darryl Drake might be on the hot seat this year.I remember that Moose was telling Devin Hester where to lineup on certain plays his last year here. You would think that both Marty Booker and Brandon Lloyd would have assumed mentoring roles for Bennett since thats why they were brought in here. That might be the main reason why both of them are no longer here along with their injuries and lack of production.

As happy as I was the DL coach was let go, and Babich was demoted, I was equally disappointed we kept Drake. Not only in development, but our WRs are all the time running the wrong routes, screwing up blocking assignments or just botching plays. How do we not hold "their" position coach responsible. Is Drake still around due to the Texas ties?

I am not 100% letting Turner off the hook, but I really think the bigger problem is Drake. It is not Turner's job to make sure each and every one of his offensive players learns the playbook. That is what we have position coaches for.

I remember Curtis Conway and Marcus Robinson struggling under Turner when he was here before.I also believe that the position coach should be responsible for trying to get players up to speed with the playbook.That's why I'm convinced that Darryl Drake might be on the hot seat this year.I remember that Moose was telling Devin Hester where to lineup on certain plays his last year here. You would think that both Marty Booker and Brandon Lloyd would have assumed mentoring roles for Bennett since thats why they were brought in here. That might be the main reason why both of them are no longer here along with their injuries and lack of production.

As happy as I was the DL coach was let go, and Babich was demoted, I was equally disappointed we kept Drake. Not only in development, but our WRs are all the time running the wrong routes, screwing up blocking assignments or just botching plays. How do we not hold "their" position coach responsible. Is Drake still around due to the Texas ties?

I am not 100% letting Turner off the hook, but I really think the bigger problem is Drake. It is not Turner's job to make sure each and every one of his offensive players learns the playbook. That is what we have position coaches for.

I thought I was the president of the dump Darryl Drake club.I believe that Lovie is going to far at times when he tries to give COLLEGE COACHES a chance like Dungy did for him. Drakes body of work to my knowledge consist of Roy Williams who has yet to realize his potential.

As for Turner under Wannie's tenure had Ivan Fears who was respected enough that the Patriots hired him to coach their WRs after he left here.

I'm not quite sure but I believe we had Todd Haley here as a WR coach in the past.

Last season Bennett also told Bear Report he was having trouble learning the plays. This isn't anything new for rookie WRs around the league. Blaming the coaches is popular in Chicago lately, but it's pretty naive to think that Drake can make his receivers "internalize" their assignments so they can play at NFL speed. He can show them what to do (lead them to water), but he can't make them execute (can't make them drink).

Once the season begins, coaches barely have time to analyze the last game and grade the players, form their game plan for the next week, and show the starters what they're supposed to do for that contest. The backups are pretty much on their own, as any coach will attest.

Last season Bennett also told Bear Report he was having trouble learning the plays. This isn't anything new for rookie WRs around the league. Blaming the coaches is popular in Chicago lately, but it's pretty naive to think that Drake can make his receivers "internalize" their assignments so they can play at NFL speed. He can show them what to do (lead them to water), but he can't make them execute (can't make them drink).

Once the season begins, coaches barely have time to analyze the last game and grade the players, form their game plan for the next week, and show the starters what they're supposed to do for that contest. The backups are pretty much on their own, as any coach will attest.

Okay it may be popular to bash coaches in the Chi but thats not my style.I point to how long it has taken for every WR the Bears have drafted that he has come in contactwith that does not get on the field at all or are completely inactive.Here's the list:

Bobby Wade and Justin Gage

Jamin Elliott

Bernard Berrian

Ariese Currie

Mark Bradley

Earl Bennett

That's seven guys who Drake and or Turner have had and most of this list spent a great deal of time inactive early in their careers.If Devin Hester wasn't the league's best KR he might have been inactive as a WR also.

I understand it takes longer to develop a rookie WR, but they don't need to know the whole playbook to contribute. Give them a few plays each week that lead to a few snaps every week. Our coaches, I believe Turner in particular, get locked into players. IE: Forte's over-use and Bennett's under-use.

Okay it may be popular to bash coaches in the Chi but thats not my style.I point to how long it has taken for every WR the Bears have drafted that he has come in contactwith that does not get on the field at all or are completely inactive.Here's the list:

Jamin Elliott

Bernard Berrian

Ariese Currie

Mark Bradley

Earl Bennett

That's seven guys who Drake and or Turner have had and most of this list spent a great deal of time inactive early in their careers.If Devin Hester wasn't the league's best KR he might have been inactive as a WR also.

Agreed! At some point you have to take the numbers for what they are. You simply can't draft that many slow learners. The coaches must be held accountable for getting the players on the field. Dummy down the playbook, put a foot in their ass and get them a few snaps a game.

I understand it takes longer to develop a rookie WR, but they don't need to know the whole playbook to contribute. Give them a few plays each week that lead to a few snaps every week. Our coaches, I believe Turner in particular, get locked into players. IE: Forte's over-use and Bennett's under-use.

Agreed! At some point you have to take the numbers for what they are. You simply can't draft that many slow learners. The coaches must be held accountable for getting the players on the field. Dummy down the playbook, put a foot in their ass and get them a few snaps a game.

Mongo we are eye to eye on both your points and thats what I'm getting at.Some times you need to adjust your scheme to your personnel.Every week you dummy down the playbook to pin point how you will attack your opponent.So what this says is that the few plays that this team has WRs invovlved in certain situations weekly are too complex for a rookie or young player to decipher.This team in last year's TC practiced a whole lot of 3 TE sets so if you are a WR on those plays what should you be doing? That set alone is another reason that he was inactive for most of the season as Kellen Davis was live every week.

Jamin Elliott

Bernard Berrian

Ariese Currie

Mark Bradley

Earl Bennett

Drake has done nothing in the 5 yrs with the Bears to prove himself. Either we were drafting crappy players or he could not develop them. The only WR to have any success under Drake was Berrian. I said it at the end of the season and still say he should go.

Peace :dabears

Drake has done nothing in the 5 yrs with the Bears to prove himself. Either we were drafting crappy players or he could not develop them. The only WR to have any success under Drake was Berrian. I said it at the end of the season and still say he should go.

Peace :dabears

CB I think Berrian had success despite Drake. I remember in his rookie season when he caught passes from Craig Krentzel under Terry Shea as OC and then the great Turner and Drake showed up and he had injury and scheme problems with Orton as a rookie.When Grossman assumed the QB spot Berrian blossomed.Why? Beacuse Grossman throws the deep pass well and thats what Berrian is good at.If you are looking for him to be a go to WR you will be waiting and the Vikes found this out. He is a deep threat that can take the safety out the box.

So the dump Drake club is growing.

Jamin Elliott

Bernard Berrian

Ariese Currie

Mark Bradley

Earl Bennett

Elliott? You're really stretching to put him on the list. I don't remember who the WR coach was in '02, but it wasn't Drake. In '03 the Pats didn't keep him. Jamin couldn't even make the roster in Chicago in '04 and '05, and the Falcons couldn't teach him anything in '06 and '07. You can't put any blame on Drake for that bum.

(Disclaimer - I'm not peddling the publication. Honest!) B.R. editor had a number of things to say about Bradley. Mark's problems were his knee, his attitude, and his overall "weird" personality. When a young guy gets three negatives going, he doesn't usually stay with a team long unless he's an instant superstar. That's why Bradley was released. He needed a fresh start in a different city. I believe the decision not to put him on the field last year came from above Drake. Only the Bears brass knows for sure, but that's my gut feeling.

Noooo! You can't be serious about Currie, can you? The guy couldn't stay healthy for more than 5 minutes at a time. How can you try to put any blame on Drake for that???

How does Wade make the list? He cut his own throat by fumbling 101 times on return coverage, while being a mediocre receiver. He sure didn't make any giant leaps as a wide out with the Titans or queens.

Berrian did just fine under Drake. Good enough to get a HUGE new contract in Minny. Heh, the last laugh is that he didn't do one damn bit better in queeny land than in Chicago! LOL

Bennett is still with the team, and has twice admitted his problems are his own. Again, with the current fad of blaming everything on the coaches and front office, many (if not most) Bears fans want to believe that somebody else would have made Earl a star last year. I say BS.

I contend that 6 of 7 guys on your list aren't the result of Drake being incompetent. JMO

Elliott? You're really stretching to put him on the list. I don't remember who the WR coach was in '02, but it wasn't Drake. In '03 the Pats didn't keep him. Jamin couldn't even make the roster in Chicago in '04 and '05, and the Falcons couldn't teach him anything in '06 and '07. You can't put any blame on Drake for that bum.

(Disclaimer - I'm not peddling the publication. Honest!) B.R. editor had a number of things to say about Bradley. Mark's problems were his knee, his attitude, and his overall "weird" personality. When a young guy gets three negatives going, he doesn't usually stay with a team long unless he's an instant superstar. That's why Bradley was released. He needed a fresh start in a different city. I believe the decision not to put him on the field last year came from above Drake. Only the Bears brass knows for sure, but that's my gut feeling.

Noooo! You can't be serious about Currie, can you? The guy couldn't stay healthy for more than 5 minutes at a time. How can you try to put any blame on Drake for that???

How does Wade make the list? He cut his own throat by fumbling 101 times on return coverage, while being a mediocre receiver. He sure didn't make any giant leaps as a wide out with the Titans or queens.

Berrian did just fine under Drake. Good enough to get a HUGE new contract in Minny. Heh, the last laugh is that he didn't do one damn bit better in queeny land than in Chicago! LOL

Bennett is still with the team, and has twice admitted his problems are his own. Again, with the current fad of blaming everything on the coaches and front office, many (if not most) Bears fans want to believe that somebody else would have made Earl a star last year. I say BS.

I contend that 6 of 7 guys on your list aren't the result of Drake being incompetent. JMO

The list shows all the WR's that were drafted by JA for this HC and whoever his staff was.Berrian played one contract for the Bears and then he was done. If you had read my post completely you would have seen that I mentioned that if Bennett or any other WR was having problems who was responsible to make sure that the problems were corrected.Bennett was here for all of TC and worked exclusively with his position coach.As a Coach how can you not recognize if someone is struggling with the plays?I also did not imply that Drake was responsible for Bennett not being active for games but I am throwing him under the bus for us going the whole year without seeing the 3rd round pick on the field . Zack Bowman who was picked after Bennett was placed on the field and even made a significant contribution in the one game that he was available to play in. Marcus Harrison saw significant time and his position coach got launched.Under Lovie the Bears have developed several strong defensive players whether it was Briggs,Tillman,Payne,Harris Hillenmeyer,Mc Bride, Graham and even Stelz made a play in a game.The same cannot be said for the offense.