Herman Johnson

lemonej

I see a lot of you are speaking highly about Herman Johnson but he IMO is a project.This is a guy who is 6/7 and over 320 pounds and plays inside.That is not a good fit.He tends to get straightened up to fast and he struggled in one on one drills at the Senior Bowl against Rajii,Brace and Jerry.What do you think would happen when he lines up opposite an Albert Haynesworth or the Williamses at Minn? He is being projected at OT because of his size but honestly he doesn't move that well.His only great distinction right now is that he was the largest baby born in the state of Louisiana at 15 pounds.

But how often is an OG set up in a game to go one on one? He's always getting help from a tackle or a center because on 3 or 4 man fronts there's an extra OL.

I'm basng my assessment on the Bears blocking scheme which I believe is a zone blocking scheme where on some plays you might be expected to block more than one player and at his size and the way he moves(stiff) I can't see him being effective inside.Also the one on one drills lets you know whether he can play in space like most OTs have to.

One, most talking about him are talking as a 3rd or 4th round pick. And w/ the 3rd, I think many are thinking about the potential compensation pick, at the end of the round. I would argue these are 2nd day picks and you can take more risk on a player like Johnson.

Two, I am not sure that he is projected to OT. I am have seen projected as both OT and OG. I think he will be an OG.

Three, at least for me, it has been partially about the fun. We have tried the athletic, finesse OL route. Now try something different, and I would say a 365 lb OG would be different.

I see a lot of you are speaking highly about Herman Johnson but he IMO is a project.This is a guy who is 6/7 and over 320 pounds and plays inside.That is not a good fit.He tends to get straightened up to fast and he struggled in one on one drills at the Senior Bowl against Rajii,Brace and Jerry.What do you think would happen when he lines up opposite an Albert Haynesworth or the Williamses at Minn? He is being projected at OT because of his size but honestly he doesn't move that well.His only great distinction right now is that he was the largest baby born in the state of Louisiana at 15 pounds.

I don't know. In space, he is going to get beat. But inside, he has so much size, I think it is simply going to be more difficult to get "around" him or "through" him.

Look, I don't think he is a prospect anyone "loves". I just think Bear fans are tired of smaller OGs getting pushed straight back by bigger and stronger DTs, and the idea of Johnson simply is appealing.

Here is a pretty good scouting report on him, actually comparing him (though less athletic) to Stacy Andrews.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/518158

I'm basng my assessment on the Bears blocking scheme which I believe is a zone blocking scheme where on some plays you might be expected to block more than one player and at his size and the way he moves(stiff) I can't see him being effective inside.Also the one on one drills lets you know whether he can play in space like most OTs have to.

I don't know. In space, he is going to get beat. But inside, he has so much size, I think it is simply going to be more difficult to get "around" him or "through" him.

Look, I don't think he is a prospect anyone "loves". I just think Bear fans are tired of smaller OGs getting pushed straight back by bigger and stronger DTs, and the idea of Johnson simply is appealing.

Here is a pretty good scouting report on him, actually comparing him (though less athletic) to Stacy Andrews.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/518158

Okay as a compensatory pick maybe take a chance but even the scouting report I just read confirms that he will not be on the field on the first game of the season and with all the comments about his conditioning,I could see him inactive for most of next season.Stacy Andrews is going to be starting next to his brother Shane for Philly at OT so when they compare an OG to an OT what does that say?

I think the point of the comparison is about size as much as anything.

Two things. One, whehter a 3rd or 4th, how many OL drafted at that point should we expect to start day one? Heck, if we draft most any position in that round, he is not likely to start day one anyway.

Two, I agree 100% conditioning is always going to be an issue for a player like that. At the same time, I think we have a very good strength and conditioning coach. In fact, he is one of the few I have some level of faith in. Put the big boy on a program, and see what sort of shape we can get him into.

Okay as a compensatory pick maybe take a chance but even the scouting report I just read confirms that he will not be on the field on the first game of the season and with all the comments about his conditioning,I could see him inactive for most of next season.Stacy Andrews is going to be starting next to his brother Shane for Philly at OT so when they compare an OG to an OT what does that say?

The fact is there have been some good reports about him and some bad. We all have opinions and none of us are experts. The guys that get paid to evaluate talent is wrong 50% of the time in the first round.