New Mock 3-22-09

Ed Hochuli 3:16

Bears trade picks #49 and #115 to Eagles for pick #28.

1. Eben Britton, RT, Arizona

1. Hakeem Nicks, WR, North Carolina

3. Victor Harris, CB, Virginia Tech

3. Phillip Hunt, DE, Houston

5. Louis Vazquez, OG, Texas Tech

6. Tony Fiammetta, FB, Syracuse

7. Mike Reilly, QB, Central Washington

Thoughts?

(somebody change date to 3-22)

Thoughts?

I like it....I'm really hoping the Bears try and move up. We have two positions in a dire need and can afford to trade a third along with our 2nd to move up b/c thats more likely what it will cost. I believe our 2nd & 3rd will only get us to about 31 or 32 going off the draft trade value chart.

Thoughts?

Hell yes. If we could pull that off...

We'd need to give up more than that if we want to move up that high. I like the idea though and had one very similar. I don't want to let go of the our 3rd rounder this year, but if we package 49, our 6th rounder, and a 3rd rounder next year, we might be able to move up to 34. Also, the Pats are very active in trading picks and this could make sense for them, considering they have 5 picks in the first 3 rounds (3 in round 2) and might be willing to move down to gain an extra pick for next year.

My ideal mock, using the trade above, would be:

1-18) RT Eben Britton, Arizona

-If Michael Oher or Andre Smith is here, they're the obvious choice, but I see tackles going on a run similar to last year. I really like Britton however, and I would consider him the most ready to come in and make an impact right away, even though he doesn't have the same upside of Oher or Smith

2-34) WR Hakeem Nicks, North Carolina

-He's been falling a bit due to a less than impressive pro day, but he is still a very solid prospect and one that we really like. He would form a great duo with Hester. However, if Kenny Britt is here, I'd take him.

3-84) QB/WR Pat White, West Virginia

-Surprise, surprise. While a lot of you might say... what? I think this makes perfect sense. We need a 3rd QB, and White has really impressed as a QB this offseason. However, his value will come with his ability to play WR and being the perfect QB for the Wildcat Offense. We know Ron Turner has had his version of the Wildcat drawn up for a while, but I believe the reason we hardly ever saw it was because he didn't trust anyone to take the snap. White can read the D and make the right choice, while also being a threat to pass. He can be a very valueably weapon for the O.

3-CP) S David Bruton, Notre Dame

-Seems like a typical JA type of guy. Can play both FS and SS, is a leader on the field, and can contribute on special teams right away. JA doesn't seem like he is ready to go out and get a front line S yet, but Bruton is a good player to have for depth.

4-115) LB Jason Williams, Western Illinois

-Another JA type of guy. Williams is a local product who really impressed at his pro day. He is a phenominal athlete, and not only potentially be an option at SAM, but be able to play all 3 LB spots. Also, he should be a great special teams guy with his size and speed. Oh yeah, did I mention he is a master at stripping the ball, forcing something 20+ fumbles in his college career.

5-146) FB Quinn Johnson, LSU

-We need another FB and someone like Johnson is similar to Runnells who we draft a few years ago, but better. He is a hell of a blocker, and can pround the ball as well as do some receiving. However, this could signal the end for AP, who I like, but isn't really neccessary to keep around anymore.

All 3 7th Rounders) BPA

Thoughts?

Another mock with a trade that will never happen.

The GMs use the draft trade value chart as gospel. They may fudge a few points in desperstaion to move up or down, but the trade you mention is 186 points to our benefit. It will never happen.

http://www.nfldraftblitz.com/pick_value_chart.htm

Another mock with a trade that will never happen.

The GMs use the draft trade value chart as gospel. They may fudge a few points in desperstaion to move up or down, but the trade you mention is 186 points to our benefit. It will never happen.

http://www.nfldraftblitz.com/pick_value_chart.htm

I agree, plus the fact that the Eagles need a RT bad and with a run in the first round, wont leave anybody left at there next drafting position. Plus why a cb, when FS is such a need?

We'd need to give up more than that if we want to move up that high. I like the idea though and had one very similar. I don't want to let go of the our 3rd rounder this year, but if we package 49, our 6th rounder, and a 3rd rounder next year, we might be able to move up to 34. Also, the Pats are very active in trading picks and this could make sense for them, considering they have 5 picks in the first 3 rounds (3 in round 2) and might be willing to move down to gain an extra pick for next year.

My ideal mock, using the trade above, would be:

1-18) RT Eben Britton, Arizona

-If Michael Oher or Andre Smith is here, they're the obvious choice, but I see tackles going on a run similar to last year. I really like Britton however, and I would consider him the most ready to come in and make an impact right away, even though he doesn't have the same upside of Oher or Smith

2-34) WR Hakeem Nicks, North Carolina

-He's been falling a bit due to a less than impressive pro day, but he is still a very solid prospect and one that we really like. He would form a great duo with Hester. However, if Kenny Britt is here, I'd take him.

3-84) QB/WR Pat White, West Virginia

-Surprise, surprise. While a lot of you might say... what? I think this makes perfect sense. We need a 3rd QB, and White has really impressed as a QB this offseason. However, his value will come with his ability to play WR and being the perfect QB for the Wildcat Offense. We know Ron Turner has had his version of the Wildcat drawn up for a while, but I believe the reason we hardly ever saw it was because he didn't trust anyone to take the snap. White can read the D and make the right choice, while also being a threat to pass. He can be a very valueably weapon for the O.

3-CP) S David Bruton, Notre Dame

-Seems like a typical JA type of guy. Can play both FS and SS, is a leader on the field, and can contribute on special teams right away. JA doesn't seem like he is ready to go out and get a front line S yet, but Bruton is a good player to have for depth.

4-115) LB Jason Williams, Western Illinois

-Another JA type of guy. Williams is a local product who really impressed at his pro day. He is a phenominal athlete, and not only potentially be an option at SAM, but be able to play all 3 LB spots. Also, he should be a great special teams guy with his size and speed. Oh yeah, did I mention he is a master at stripping the ball, forcing something 20+ fumbles in his college career.

5-146) FB Quinn Johnson, LSU

-We need another FB and someone like Johnson is similar to Runnells who we draft a few years ago, but better. He is a hell of a blocker, and can pround the ball as well as do some receiving. However, this could signal the end for AP, who I like, but isn't really neccessary to keep around anymore.

All 3 7th Rounders) BPA

I would like this draft. I like Britton the more I learn about him. I would sub in Robiskie. I just have a good feeling about him.

I really like the draft Jason has in his sig.

The more I think about it, the less I see OT as a first-day pick. The Bears "big offseason pick-up" has been Omiyale, and they aren't going to pay him $6 million this year to be a backup. I think they see him as the starter at RT, and while they don't have a legitimate backup at RT at the moment, I'm not convinced an early pick at RT who could supplant Omiyale is a priority for this team. If they take someone who can play RT moderately early, I think it will be an OG who can play some RT, and then a developmental tackle in the middle rounds. If that's true, you might see something like this:

1) Hakeem Nicks, WR, North Carolina - Heavily scouted and with good reason. It will be interesting how the additional pounds he's put on since the combine (http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/03/23/wr-nicks-puts-on-14-pounds-since-nfl-combine/) affect his draft status. If that's strength without losing speed, I think he's the pick.

2) Jairus Byrd, DB, Oregon - Sure, he's one of the coaches' sons, but he also fills the need as he projects well to ballhawking FS. Not to play conspiracy theorist, but he has yet to run for scouts, which has kept his draft stock in limbo. Maybe there's a Bears promise out there...?

3a) Andy Levitre, OG, Oregon State - Or whatever OG is available, though it helps that he can play RT if needed.

3b) Lawrence Sidbury, DE, Richmond - Another scouted player to try to punch up the pass-rush.

4) Jason Watkins, OT, Florida - I'm guessing this is where you see the Bears take an OT, probably a guy from a big program, but with some upside.

5) Tom Brandstatter, QB, Fresno State - A nice developmental player to compete with Basanez.

6) Brannan Southerland, FB, Georgia - It's not like McKie is anything special.

7a) Greg Orton, WR, Purdue - Adds some size to the WR corps.

7b) Terrill Byrd, DT, Cincinnatti - Potential rotation DT that fits the scheme.

The point I would make is, by all reports, we added Omiyale to be our starting OG, not RT. After signing him, we still wanted St. Clair, who we expected to play RT. Even when we entered our camp, we had Omiyale at LG, and only moved him to RT because we lost out on St. Clair.

I think we might use Omiyale at RT, but that is a backup plan, not the 1st option. Thus, I think the "plan" is still to use Omiyale at LG, and find a new RT.

The more I think about it, the less I see OT as a first-day pick. The Bears "big offseason pick-up" has been Omiyale, and they aren't going to pay him $6 million this year to be a backup. I think they see him as the starter at RT, and while they don't have a legitimate backup at RT at the moment, I'm not convinced an early pick at RT who could supplant Omiyale is a priority for this team. If they take someone who can play RT moderately early, I think it will be an OG who can play some RT, and then a developmental tackle in the middle rounds. If that's true, you might see something like this:

1) Hakeem Nicks, WR, North Carolina - Heavily scouted and with good reason. It will be interesting how the additional pounds he's put on since the combine (http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/03/23/wr-nicks-puts-on-14-pounds-since-nfl-combine/) affect his draft status. If that's strength without losing speed, I think he's the pick.

2) Jairus Byrd, DB, Oregon - Sure, he's one of the coaches' sons, but he also fills the need as he projects well to ballhawking FS. Not to play conspiracy theorist, but he has yet to run for scouts, which has kept his draft stock in limbo. Maybe there's a Bears promise out there...?

3a) Andy Levitre, OG, Oregon State - Or whatever OG is available, though it helps that he can play RT if needed.

3b) Lawrence Sidbury, DE, Richmond - Another scouted player to try to punch up the pass-rush.

4) Jason Watkins, OT, Florida - I'm guessing this is where you see the Bears take an OT, probably a guy from a big program, but with some upside.

5) Tom Brandstatter, QB, Fresno State - A nice developmental player to compete with Basanez.

6) Brannan Southerland, FB, Georgia - It's not like McKie is anything special.

7a) Greg Orton, WR, Purdue - Adds some size to the WR corps.

7b) Terrill Byrd, DT, Cincinnatti - Potential rotation DT that fits the scheme.

The point I would make is, by all reports, we added Omiyale to be our starting OG, not RT. After signing him, we still wanted St. Clair, who we expected to play RT. Even when we entered our camp, we had Omiyale at LG, and only moved him to RT because we lost out on St. Clair.

I think we might use Omiyale at RT, but that is a backup plan, not the 1st option. Thus, I think the "plan" is still to use Omiyale at LG, and find a new RT.

I don't think that was ever going to be the case. They payed Omiyale starter money, while they offered St. Clair backup money to start at OT??? I think the whole "we want St Clair back" talk was a ruse to give him some respect, while hoping he would sign for chump change to be a backup. Now, we'll see what they do in the draft and how that affects Omiyale.

But why did we (Angelo and Lovie) constantly talk about Omiyale at OG and start him there the first day of mini-camp? To me, that only made the look worse when they had to move him to OT after missing out on St. Clair.

IMHO, the money being offered to St. Clair proves he wasn't viewed as a long term answer, and I would argue they were likely still planning on drafting an OT.

But back to Omiyale, if they did not intend to play him at OG, why all the show? IMHO, all that did was make them look foolish. If they signed him and from day one talked about him at OT, I think it would have made more sense. He was considered an OT by both Atlanta and Carolian, and his only start came at OT. Heck, it is even the position he said he feels more comfortable at. If we said we signed him to be our RT, I don't think anyone would have been surprised. But from the moment we signed him, we declared him an OG, and said he would compete for a starting job inside. If that was never the plan, why the act?

I don't think that was ever going to be the case. They payed Omiyale starter money, while they offered St. Clair backup money to start at OT??? I think the whole "we want St Clair back" talk was a ruse to give him some respect, while hoping he would sign for chump change to be a backup. Now, we'll see what they do in the draft and how that affects Omiyale.

To me, that only made the look worse when they had to move him to OT after missing out on St. Clair.
No, they get to play smart and say, "see we signed a guy that can do it all."

IMHO, the money being offered to St. Clair proves he wasn't viewed as a long term answer, and I would argue they were likely still planning on drafting an OT.
No and yes. No - the money they offered St Clair was NOT to even start this year. Yes - Upgrades were probably part of the plan.

IMHO, all that did was make them look foolish.
Don't we nail them for this all of the time??

If they signed him and from day one talked about him at OT, I think it would have made more sense. He was considered an OT by both Atlanta and Carolian, and his only start came at OT. Heck, it is even the position he said he feels more comfortable at. If we said we signed him to be our RT, I don't think anyone would have been surprised.

That's because he IS an OT. That's what they signed him for. The bull ended when St. Clair signed elsewhere.

But from the moment we signed him, we declared him an OG, and said he would compete for a starting job inside. If that was never the plan, why the act?
Because our guys are smart. Do you sense the sarcasm? They actually probably wanted St Clair to play OG while telling him he would the RT. Again, they are so smart, they saw that St. Clair would sign for the discount to be named the replacement for Tait. Look at money and that will tell the whole story.

I know much of your point was sarcasm, but I simply believe we signed Omiyale to play OG and believe all signs point to that as well. I think they viewed him very much like St. Clair heading into last year. He was be our starting LG, but would be the first option to move outside if needed. Right now, there is that need, but I think we will see a RT added in the 1st round, and then see Omiyale back at LG.

Look, I do not totally get it either. Omiyale has been in the NFL for 4 years now. He has been w/ two teams. The entire time, he was viewed as an OT, and the one game he started, was at OT. So I was never 100% sure why we viewed him as an OG. W/ that said, it is very much in our staff's nature to a player, who everyone else views as one thing, only to view him differently. They seem to also see in-the-box safeties, and believe they are FS'.

No, they get to play smart and say, "see we signed a guy that can do it all."

No and yes. No - the money they offered St Clair was NOT to even start this year. Yes - Upgrades were probably part of the plan.

Don't we nail them for this all of the time??

That's because he IS an OT. That's what they signed him for. The bull ended when St. Clair signed elsewhere.

Because our guys are smart. Do you sense the sarcasm? They actually probably wanted St Clair to play OG while telling him he would the RT. Again, they are so smart, they saw that St. Clair would sign for the discount to be named the replacement for Tait. Look at money and that will tell the whole story.

I know much of your point was sarcasm, but I simply believe we signed Omiyale to play OG and believe all signs point to that as well. I think they viewed him very much like St. Clair heading into last year. He was be our starting LG, but would be the first option to move outside if needed. Right now, there is that need, but I think we will see a RT added in the 1st round, and then see Omiyale back at LG.

Look, I do not totally get it either. Omiyale has been in the NFL for 4 years now. He has been w/ two teams. The entire time, he was viewed as an OT, and the one game he started, was at OT. So I was never 100% sure why we viewed him as an OG. W/ that said, it is very much in our staff's nature to a player, who everyone else views as one thing, only to view him differently. They seem to also see in-the-box safeties, and believe they are FS'.

I think there thought is to play him at LG and have his time in the league will help Williams become better. Also in case Williams doesnt pan out or is injured again, to slide to LT, his position he has the most experience at. Kinda a ace in the hole for Williams, still a big question mark.

Few points.

One, if the reasoning is experience would benefit Williams, I would argue Beekman is far more experienced. Omiyale has been "in the league" for 4 years, but I think half of that was on Atlanta and Carolina's practice squads, and he has only one start to his name. Beekman has been in the league, on an active roster, two years and started every game last season. I think Beekman offers more "experience" to help Williams than Omiyale.

Two. If there is an idea to slide him to LT if Williams doesn't pan out, would he not be better served playing RT then? If we stick him at OG, and develop him inside, I would think it would then be more difficult to move back outside, or at least more difficult than if he were playing RT and then moved to LT.

I think there thought is to play him at LG and have his time in the league will help Williams become better. Also in case Williams doesnt pan out or is injured again, to slide to LT, his position he has the most experience at. Kinda a ace in the hole for Williams, still a big question mark.

Few points.

One, if the reasoning is experience would benefit Williams, I would argue Beekman is far more experienced. Omiyale has been "in the league" for 4 years, but I think half of that was on Atlanta and Carolina's practice squads, and he has only one start to his name. Beekman has been in the league, on an active roster, two years and started every game last season. I think Beekman offers more "experience" to help Williams than Omiyale.

Two. If there is an idea to slide him to LT if Williams doesn't pan out, would he not be better served playing RT then? If we stick him at OG, and develop him inside, I would think it would then be more difficult to move back outside, or at least more difficult than if he were playing RT and then moved to LT.

I agree with you, I was trying to give a reason why they do what they do, sometimes its hard to understand there moves.