Draft? We don't need no stinking draft

nfoligno

Okay, to hell w/ the draft. Instead, how about we:

Send Denver our 1st & 3rd, and future 1st/2nd conditional pick for Cutler.

Send our 2nd to Az for Boldin.

After the draft, send Atlanta our 2010 2nd round pick for Tyson Clabo, a damn good RT w/ size (6'6 330), youth (27 years old) and experience (I think he has started every game the last two years).

Sure, we are giving up a boat load of picks, yet at the same time, we get a franchise QB, a franchise WR and a damn good RT (which allows us to move Omiyale back to OG). Still have that conditional 3rd rounder this year we can use on a FS.

Hey, better than spending our picks on future busts :(

After the draft, send Atlanta our 2010 2nd round pick for Tyson Clabo, a damn good RT w/ size (6'6 330), youth (27 years old) and experience (I think he has started every game the last two years).

Sure, we are giving up a boat load of picks, yet at the same time, we get a franchise QB, a franchise WR and a damn good RT (which allows us to move Omiyale back to OG). Still have that conditional 3rd rounder this year we can use on a FS.

Interesting...and I think maybe you get Cutler for that, but i dont know if you get the other two for second rounders.

Clabo is a RFA tendered at a 2nd round pick level. Thus, it isn't a trade for him, but simply signing him to an offer sheet and giving up a 2nd in return. We might have to tweak the structuring of the deal to prevent Atlanta from matching the offer though.

As for Boldin, I really do not know what the cost is for him, but recent reports seem to indicate (a) Az is increasingly ready to trade him and (B) his market value is not as high as he might think. Boldin may be a WR version in some ways to our very own Briggs. Briggs thought his value on the market would be equal to the league's elite LBs, but the league seemed to think otherwise. While a great LB, there were still questions as he played next to Urlacher and lacks some of the non-tackle stats GMs crave. Maybe a 2nd isn't enough, and we have to sweeten the deal. Fine. Send them our 2nd this year as part of a package.

Interesting...and I think maybe you get Cutler for that, but i dont know if you get the other two for second rounders.

Ha! Sounds like you need to invest in this year's version of Madden!

But, all ribbing aside, I'd sure as hell sign off on that...

Clabo is a RFA tendered at a 2nd round pick level. Thus, it isn't a trade for him, but simply signing him to an offer sheet and giving up a 2nd in return. We might have to tweak the structuring of the deal to prevent Atlanta from matching the offer though.

As for Boldin, I really do not know what the cost is for him, but recent reports seem to indicate (a) Az is increasingly ready to trade him and (B) his market value is not as high as he might think. Boldin may be a WR version in some ways to our very own Briggs. Briggs thought his value on the market would be equal to the league's elite LBs, but the league seemed to think otherwise. While a great LB, there were still questions as he played next to Urlacher and lacks some of the non-tackle stats GMs crave. Maybe a 2nd isn't enough, and we have to sweeten the deal. Fine. Send them our 2nd this year as part of a package.

Makes sense then on Clabo.

Still dont think it would be enough to get Boldin.

Thoughts on Boldin's value:

I realize there are many questions on Boldin's value. Roy Williams, a lesser WR, was traded for a 1st, 3rd and more. At the same time, we have seen the "rumors" of his value all over the place. So what gives? While I don't have the answer(s), I do have some thoughts.

One. Roy Williams was traded during the season, to a team who felt they were adding the one player who would put them over the top THAT YEAR. Simply put, you will find inflated value in a deal such as this. Dallas was trying to win a SB, and making a move they felt would payoff w/ in a matter of weeks. I just do not think you can make a direct comparison between an in-season trade and one that would take place in March/April.

Two. Just because one owner makes a bad move, does that necessarily mean a value is set? I seem to recall some years back Ditka making an insane deal to get Ricky Williams in the draft. Soon after, GMs felt the market was set, only to find out very different. Many point to Hatley as stubbornly believing he should holdout for a similar ridiculous deal, and ended up taking Enis.

Three. Despite what Az may say, most believe Boldin has been on the block for some time, and yet his market simply does not seem to be nearly as high as many would have believed. If this were such a no brainer, the deal would already be done. As no trade has taken place yet, maybe the market for him is simply not what Az (and most here) expected. At some point, Az may have to simply decide whether to take what they can get or stock up on advil.

The above reminds me of Briggs. I remember when most here (not to mention Briggs and his agent) felt his value was so high. They felt they could easily workout a deal to move Briggs for max value, but that didn't happen. Not only that, but when he was an UFA, his market still was not what many expected. More recently, I think TJ Hous found the situation similar. I am not saying TJ and Boldin are the same, and realize the age difference, but the point is, the market for Boldin may simply not be what he thinks. As great as he is, he lacks that elite speed, and while I really disagree w/ the idea, most simply place a greater value on speed and less so on receivers who lack it.

I really do not know what Boldin's market value is at this point. Frankly, nor do I know how serious Az is in moving him. What I know is more and more "insiders" seem to place his value lower than most here would have expected, which just makes me wonder. Maybe a 2nd would not get the deal done. But at the same time, a 1st round pick may not be in the cards either. It may involve a package, w/ this years 2nd rounder being the top of the package.

At the end of the day, we can quibble about the specifics, but the point is still there. There are proven veterans who could potentially be had, and I think it worth considering taking that route rather than the far greater risk/gamble of the draft. I doubt Angelo would agree, but I simply like the idea of going out and obtaining PROVEN, still young and in their prime, players over the gamble of the draft.

Theres no way We could get Boldin for our 2nd. Think about what Roy went for and then consider that Boldin is younger and better. Not to mention teams like Minny, Philly and Washington would be willing to give up much more for him then the Bears would.

Whatever he is worth isnt even the issue. Its the fact that there are teams that would go after him more aggressively. There is no way JA is getting into a pissing match with other GMs over Boldin. If all it took was a 2nd I would assume JA would be all over it but if that was the case than there would be teams offering better/more picks. TJ, who isnt nearly as coveted as Boldin, had teams all over him. The Bears just arent a team that would pull a blockbuster deal like that.

Whatever he is worth isnt even the issue. Its the fact that there are teams that would go after him more aggressively. There is no way JA is getting into a pissing match with other GMs over Boldin. If all it took was a 2nd I would assume JA would be all over it but if that was the case than there would be teams offering better/more picks. TJ, who isnt nearly as coveted as Boldin, had teams all over him. The Bears just arent a team that would pull a blockbuster deal like that.

I think if we got a trade done for Culter, no way they trade more picks away. He will just draft a WR and the QB can raise the WRs game. We would never win a bidding for a good player. JA places a value on somebody and thats that.

Boldin's market/trade value is very similar to Brigg's situation. What would you guys give up for Steve Breaston? A younger guy who put up similar numbers to Boldin. Point is when Boldin went down due to injury, both in the regular season and in the playoffs the offense kept on rolling. Breaston ended up with 77 rec for 1008 yards. Boldin had 89 rec for 1038 yards. More rec equates to less ypc. The Cards run a pass happy offense so how do those stats likely translate to a Bears offense which spreads the ball around including to their RB....maybe 70 rec and 800 yards.

How many realize Boldin has only had two full 16 game seasons in his career? This is a guy who is a physical runner, doesn't have great quickness or speed and relies on his size and strength to gain separation as well as yards after the catch. Those injuries take a toll and after 7 years he's slowing down and wearing down. He's still got a few good years in him though. Look at all the crap Bears fans give players who get injured every year. It won't be long before Boldin hears that. Is that worth $8mil/yr?

Now we expect GMs to jumping all over him to give him $8-10 mil/yr and give up a 1st Rd pick. Why when you have a solid draft for WR all the way into the 3rd Rd? We are one of a few teams with a high need for WR help but the other teams might view themselves in a more of a rebuilding mode and prefer to invest in younger talent. Beyond that other teams might have just one hole at WR with a couple capable vets and would also prefer to bring in a younger guy to set themselves up for the future.

You also have to consider the fact of Boldin's selfishness. Contrary to what most might think, the Cards have treated him outstandingly well IMO. They tore up his rookie contract after only two seasons and gave him what at the time was a high dollar deal. That has only happened to a handful of players in NFL history. Now the market has exploded and suddenly Boldin is demanding a new contract last offseason. The Cards tried to take the high road in negotiations but Boldin pretty much dragged them through the mud. The Cards were clear they had other priorities last year and they'd be willing to address his contract this year. Late in year Boldin pulls off the same selfish crap once he's injured in playoffs and starts whining on the sidelines, and starts bringing up the contract stuff again. You have to take a long hard look at how much of a team player Boldin is because it seemed clear he burned some bridges in the locker room during the playoffs. I like the way he plays the game, I'd like him as a Bear because I know he'll help us but he's not "the answer" on offense for us. He can help us just don't expect #1 WR performance.

I'll stick with my offer of a 3rd Rd pick with a max of that plus swapping 2nd Rd picks although I prefer to give a conditional 2nd day pick in next years draft depending on his performance this year.

TJ had teams all over him? Not even close. TJ said prior to FA that he expected to have a deal done by like 12:30am, 30 minutes into FA. But what he found was (a) not as many teams were interested in him as expected and (B) those who were, were not offering the sort of money he wanted. He wanted $10m per year, but found out teams were more concerned w/ his age and lack of speed than he expected.

Now, I am not trying to compare TJ w/ boldin, just questioning your comment that teams were all over TJ. In reality, only a couple showed legit interest, and even then, not at the level TJ expected.

While I do not expect the bears to pull off the deal, might I remind everyone how we got Wale. Wale was a 15 sack DE for Miami, and considered among the elite young pass rushing DEs in the NFL. It didn't workout as hoped w/ Wale, thus I think fans tend to forget just how big of a deal it was, but that trade was nearly as big as we are talking about w/ Boldin.

TJ had teams all over him? Not even close. TJ said prior to FA that he expected to have a deal done by like 12:30am, 30 minutes into FA. But what he found was (a) not as many teams were interested in him as expected and (B) those who were, were not offering the sort of money he wanted. He wanted $10m per year, but found out teams were more concerned w/ his age and lack of speed than he expected.

Now, I am not trying to compare TJ w/ boldin, just questioning your comment that teams were all over TJ. In reality, only a couple showed legit interest, and even then, not at the level TJ expected.

While I do not expect the bears to pull off the deal, might I remind everyone how we got Wale. Wale was a 15 sack DE for Miami, and considered among the elite young pass rushing DEs in the NFL. It didn't workout as hoped w/ Wale, thus I think fans tend to forget just how big of a deal it was, but that trade was nearly as big as we are talking about w/ Boldin.

TJ didnt finish visiting teams before he signed. The Bengals wanted him back badly and Minnesota was going after him hard the same time Seattle was. He would absolutely of had more visits if he didnt sign in Seattle. He never even made it to Philly and they were openly courting him as well. I can make it more simple by saying Minnesota would offer more than us, without a doubt.