Private workouts

Stinger226

Other than a few high end drafts picks, Britton, Britt, Nicks, I think almost all the private workouts are second day picks. They seem to be looking for that diamond in the rough all the time. Althought, come to think of it, thats where they draft the best anyways. Payne , Graham, ect.

I don't know if we can read anything into workouts, but if we did, I might begin to believe Angelo is looking to trade down. IMHO, numerous players we have looked at or shown interest in are players who many would view as a reach at 18, but are not likely to be available in the 2nd. I wonder if we might not see another trade down into the late 1st or early 2nd.

Other than a few high end drafts picks, Britton, Britt, Nicks, I think almost all the private workouts are second day picks. They seem to be looking for that diamond in the rough all the time. Althought, come to think of it, thats where they draft the best anyways. Payne , Graham, ect.

It seems to me like all the private workouts are at positions of need for us OT, FS, WR so it would be safe to say that these are the position that we are going to draft next month.

I don't know if we can read anything into workouts, but if we did, I might begin to believe Angelo is looking to trade down. IMHO, numerous players we have looked at or shown interest in are players who many would view as a reach at 18, but are not likely to be available in the 2nd. I wonder if we might not see another trade down into the late 1st or early 2nd.

You might be right. And I dont think I would be opposed for two reasons.

1) First, the value is better at the end of the 1st/beginning of the second. So if you get a bust it is not costing as much.

2) Second, I think JA is better drafting out of the first round.

JMO

Then again, the last time we made such a move, we ended up w/ Daniell Manning. Further, while Angelo has said DM was always the target, I still believe we intended to get one of the highly touted LBs, but after there was a run, we took DM and said he was our man all along.

You say there is better value at the end of the 1st, but what position or players are you talking about.

OL? If we wanted a center, I would agree, but I am less convinced on OT. At 18, we have a shot at Oher, and if he is gone, I think Britton is a solid value at 18. At the end of the 1st, I think both are gone, and the only OT of value I can see is Loadholt, who I am on record saying I think could be like Dwayne Brown, and go in the 1st round this year due to a run at OT.

I assume you mean WR though. At 18, value debates range for Nicks, Britt and even Robiskie, and I can see these WRs being a better value at the end of the 1st or early 2nd, but would also wonder who will be off the boards.

Used to, I was all for trading down and getting better value, but I now believe the risk is simply not often worth the reward. The reward is getting a player you like for better value, but the risk is losing out all-together on the player(s) that you like, and thus I just think the risk is greater than the reward.

When I look at teams that pick after us, I see many that are likely looking at OT and WR. If there is a run at these positions in the backhalf of the 1st round, well, I just would rather start a run than be at the end, or outside looking in.

You might be right. And I dont think I would be opposed for two reasons.

1) First, the value is better at the end of the 1st/beginning of the second. So if you get a bust it is not costing as much.

2) Second, I think JA is better drafting out of the first round.

JMO

Then again, the last time we made such a move, we ended up w/ Daniell Manning. Further, while Angelo has said DM was always the target, I still believe we intended to get one of the highly touted LBs, but after there was a run, we took DM and said he was our man all along.

You say there is better value at the end of the 1st, but what position or players are you talking about.

OL? If we wanted a center, I would agree, but I am less convinced on OT. At 18, we have a shot at Oher, and if he is gone, I think Britton is a solid value at 18. At the end of the 1st, I think both are gone, and the only OT of value I can see is Loadholt, who I am on record saying I think could be like Dwayne Brown, and go in the 1st round this year due to a run at OT.

I assume you mean WR though. At 18, value debates range for Nicks, Britt and even Robiskie, and I can see these WRs being a better value at the end of the 1st or early 2nd, but would also wonder who will be off the boards.

Used to, I was all for trading down and getting better value, but I now believe the risk is simply not often worth the reward. The reward is getting a player you like for better value, but the risk is losing out all-together on the player(s) that you like, and thus I just think the risk is greater than the reward.

When I look at teams that pick after us, I see many that are likely looking at OT and WR. If there is a run at these positions in the backhalf of the 1st round, well, I just would rather start a run than be at the end, or outside looking in.

I just meant better value in terms of more managable contracts, in general, not specific to this draft.

The way this stuff is set up for rookies its really stressful to have a top 5 pick IMO. You can really screw yourself budget wise is you select a bust.

I agree there is a financial risk, but am not sure the risk is so great where we sit at 18. The top of the draft right now is a joke, and one thing I believe will change in the new CBA. The top pick in the draft is supposed to help a struggling franchise, but due to the financial risk of the pick, it is more like an all or nothing bet. It is hard enough to deal w/ a bust, but when that bust is tied to a $30m+ in guarantees, it is nearly impossible. I mean, what does it say that it seems like each year the top pick team wants to trade down, but can find no takers.

It can easily be argued you have similar financial issues w/ the top 10 picks, but after that, the risk (financial) really begins to drop, and at 18, while there is an obvious financial risk, I just do not believe it is such a great one that you try to trade down to avoid.

I just meant better value in terms of more managable contracts, in general, not specific to this draft.

The way this stuff is set up for rookies its really stressful to have a top 5 pick IMO. You can really screw yourself budget wise is you select a bust.

I agree there is a financial risk, but am not sure the risk is so great where we sit at 18. The top of the draft right now is a joke, and one thing I believe will change in the new CBA. The top pick in the draft is supposed to help a struggling franchise, but due to the financial risk of the pick, it is more like an all or nothing bet. It is hard enough to deal w/ a bust, but when that bust is tied to a $30m+ in guarantees, it is nearly impossible. I mean, what does it say that it seems like each year the top pick team wants to trade down, but can find no takers.

It can easily be argued you have similar financial issues w/ the top 10 picks, but after that, the risk (financial) really begins to drop, and at 18, while there is an obvious financial risk, I just do not believe it is such a great one that you try to trade down to avoid.

I agree its not as much, but I just looked and C Williams made 4+mil last year ranking him 11th on the Bears. That didn't cripple them but there wasn't much value there.