Walter Football mock updated

bowlingtwig

With the recent signing of Kevin Shaffer and the comp picks finalized walterfootball.com has updated the mock draft. They have us selecting Larry English in the 1st, Hakeem Nicks in the 2nd and Phil Loadholt and Derek Pegues in the 3rd and the James Davis, RB in the 4th. What is everyones thoughts on this.

With the recent signing of Kevin Shaffer and the comp picks finalized walterfootball.com has updated the mock draft. They have us selecting Larry English in the 1st, Hakeem Nicks in the 2nd and Phil Loadholt and Derek Pegues in the 3rd and the James Davis, RB in the 4th. What is everyones thoughts on this.

I don't think Nicks and Loadholt will be there in the 2nd and 3rd respectively. I would love that draft though.

I think both Nicks and Loadholt have a better chance of going in the 1st, rather than falling to the 2nd.

Nicks looks like he is slipping some due to the weight, but if he starts showing up to teams facilities for private workouts w/ the weight back down, I think his stock returns. As for Loadholt, I think he has a chance to sneak into the backend of the 1st, maybe Phily's 2nd 1st round pick.

As for the mock, taking a DL in the 1st would make me sick.

I agree on those two not being there, and would perfer a different FS in the third.

I think both Nicks and Loadholt have a better chance of going in the 1st, rather than falling to the 2nd.

Nicks looks like he is slipping some due to the weight, but if he starts showing up to teams facilities for private workouts w/ the weight back down, I think his stock returns. As for Loadholt, I think he has a chance to sneak into the backend of the 1st, maybe Phily's 2nd 1st round pick.

As for the mock, taking a DL in the 1st would make me sick.

I was shocked to see dhb falling to the 2nd and loadholt falling to the 3rd considering all the mocks had him moving up and up in the draft since the combine.

I can see Loadholt being there in Rd 2. How many teams are going to take an OT with their first pick? Loadholt seems to be rated highest here on this board than anywhere else. I've heard more often of him going in Rd 2 or even Rd 3.

http://cdsdraft.com/mocks/round-2.html

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospec...p;start_row=451

I can see Loadholt being there in Rd 2. How many teams are going to take an OT with their first pick? Loadholt seems to be rated highest here on this board than anywhere else. I've heard more often of him going in Rd 2 or even Rd 3.

The first mocks that I saw originally had us selecting him in round 2. Then shortly after the combine I started seeing him go further up on the board in round 2. I haven't seen any having him go in round 1 although it could happen if there is a major run on Oline in the 1st. I haven't seen him getting past us in the 2nd though. So I was really shocked to see now that they have him falling although way to mid 3rd to us. I was stunned. Also really stunned to see DHB falling to the 2nd as well. Although I personally think there is a better chance with him falling to the 2nd than Loadholt falling into the 3rd. If he falls to us in the 3rd it would have to be considered a real steal.

I'm starting to hop on the Harvin bandwagon. He isn't like Hester at all. He is a warrior out there with ridiculous speed. He loves to get it on reveres as well as on WR screens. He's f***ing clutch, too.

If we went English, Nicks, Loadholt- I couldn't say I'd complain. But I doubt Loadholt is there in the 3rd.

I'm starting to hop on the Harvin bandwagon. He isn't like Hester at all. He is a warrior out there with ridiculous speed. He loves to get it on reveres as well as on WR screens. He's f***ing clutch, too.

If we went English, Nicks, Loadholt- I couldn't say I'd complain. But I doubt Loadholt is there in the 3rd.

I am unsure about Harvin because of the system.

I would hate it for the following reasons:

1. Larry English is a small school product, which makes him somewhat unknown in my opinion. Additionally, he's a DE, which I put as maybe 5th on the Bears' need list. Last but not least, it's about time the Bears focused on the offense with a higher pick.

2. Hakeem Nicks is a decent pick, but it's horrible if the Bears go with a DE in the first. The OL becomes an afterthought yet again.

3. Phil Loadholt will not be there in the third, so this pick sucks. He'll be gone and they'll have to reach on another OL possibility, or skip OL again.

4. Derek Pegues...I like this pick. It's a need, and he's a fairly good player.

5. James Davis is a decent RB, but I absolutely despise this pick for two reasons. First, Wolfe still hasn't been given a chance to do anything, and this pick would signify that Turner is incapable of figuring out how to use such a unique talent (pssst. check out the game tape of Sproles in the playoffs). Second, if the Bears want to get a RB to spell Forte, there are plenty of very good FA RBs ready to be signed and prove themselves on a one year contract, that is, of course, if Turner ever used their ass in an actual game for any meaningful amount of time.

So, overall, I hate this draft.

For the record, I am not saying Loadholt isn't a 2nd rounder. I think the 2nd round is where his value is. I simply believe, personal opinion, that he could slip into the backend of the 1st round. He is the highest graded OT after Britton, and I think Britton is gone by around 22 (if not 18). If that happens, I think a team near the back of the 1st could reach a bit for Loadholt, as (a) he will not last long and (B) the OT depth is not great, and the dropoff gets considerable.

What I do not see is him falling to the 3rd. To hard to see no OT being drafted for so long.

I'm wondering if the OTs will see the same kind of a run that there was last year where 8 were taken in Rd 1. I can't see that happening two years in a row but if panic sets in why not. If it does it seems more likely a WR we like will fall to us in Rd 2, of course I'm assuming we're one of the teams that take one of the OTs.

That is what I have been talking about too. There is not the depth of OTs this year as last, but that could only mean teams tend to reach for an OT sooner as the dropoff point is greater.

I have said for a while now that I think Britton is easily a 1st round value, and also believe Loadholt could slip into the back area of the 1st round, similar to Duane Brown last year, who was considered a 2nd rounder by most.

If the top 4 OTs are gone before we pick, I think both Britton and Loadholt go in the 1st also. There are a lot of OT needy teams in the backhalf of the 1st round, and I think w/ the dropoff seen after Loadholt, teams may be less willing to wait.

After we pick, teams I see who could draft OT:

Det (20)- Assuming they take Stafford, they could try to get their QB/OT in round one this year.

Phily (21) - They lost both starting OTs, though they did sign Andrews, but Andrews is an injury risk. OT is considered a top need for them.

Minny (22) - They have said for some time now that RT is considered a top priority.

NE (23) - They OL was bad last year, and while most predict them to go defense, OT is still a need.

Phily (28) - It is expected they will take OT at one of their two 1st round picks.

NYG (29) - Enviable position to draft for talent over need, but OL is considered a need.

Pitt (32) - Many predict they will draft OL, though maybe not OT. Still, they have tagged Starks again, and w/ his upcoming FA situation, combined w/ his age, I think a RT this year, ready to step in 2010, is more than a possibility.

If the top 4 are gone before we pick, as many expect, that leaves Britton and Loadholt to be passed by all these teams. Some may not be looking at RT as highly as others, but in Det, Phily and Minny, I think you have three teams who would have OT very high on their shopping list.

If they all do pass on at least one of the OTs, you then find a group of teams at the top of round 2 who, if they passed on OT in the 1st, would be primed to go OT in the 2nd (KC, Det, StL, Seattle, Cincy, Jax & Oak).

I'm wondering if the OTs will see the same kind of a run that there was last year where 8 were taken in Rd 1. I can't see that happening two years in a row but if panic sets in why not. If it does it seems more likely a WR we like will fall to us in Rd 2, of course I'm assuming we're one of the teams that take one of the OTs.

That is what I have been talking about too. There is not the depth of OTs this year as last, but that could only mean teams tend to reach for an OT sooner as the dropoff point is greater.

I have said for a while now that I think Britton is easily a 1st round value, and also believe Loadholt could slip into the back area of the 1st round, similar to Duane Brown last year, who was considered a 2nd rounder by most.

If the top 4 OTs are gone before we pick, I think both Britton and Loadholt go in the 1st also. There are a lot of OT needy teams in the backhalf of the 1st round, and I think w/ the dropoff seen after Loadholt, teams may be less willing to wait.

After we pick, teams I see who could draft OT:

Det (20)- Assuming they take Stafford, they could try to get their QB/OT in round one this year.

Phily (21) - They lost both starting OTs, though they did sign Andrews, but Andrews is an injury risk. OT is considered a top need for them.

Minny (22) - They have said for some time now that RT is considered a top priority.

NE (23) - They OL was bad last year, and while most predict them to go defense, OT is still a need.

Phily (28) - It is expected they will take OT at one of their two 1st round picks.

NYG (29) - Enviable position to draft for talent over need, but OL is considered a need.

Pitt (32) - Many predict they will draft OL, though maybe not OT. Still, they have tagged Starks again, and w/ his upcoming FA situation, combined w/ his age, I think a RT this year, ready to step in 2010, is more than a possibility.

If the top 4 are gone before we pick, as many expect, that leaves Britton and Loadholt to be passed by all these teams. Some may not be looking at RT as highly as others, but in Det, Phily and Minny, I think you have three teams who would have OT very high on their shopping list.

If they all do pass on at least one of the OTs, you then find a group of teams at the top of round 2 who, if they passed on OT in the 1st, would be primed to go OT in the 2nd (KC, Det, StL, Seattle, Cincy, Jax & Oak).

I am sorry but I disagree about NE. If there OL was so bad last year how in the world did Matt Cassell become a household name and become a person of interest after never starting at any level outside of high school. IMO Cassell is a good QB who was part of a great system. There Oline play is good to keep him clean most of the time and he has great WR's to play with.

Their system is all about quick releases. Thus their pass blocking can look better than it is, yet their run blocking was considered poor, and thus why OL is considered a need for NE.

Regardless, if you knock one team off the list, the point is still valid. Many teams need an OT, and yet only one or two OTs are there to be drafted.

I am sorry but I disagree about NE. If there OL was so bad last year how in the world did Matt Cassell become a household name and become a person of interest after never starting at any level outside of high school. IMO Cassell is a good QB who was part of a great system. There Oline play is good to keep him clean most of the time and he has great WR's to play with.