How about Matt "Moonshine" Jones?

bradjock

Last season Matt "Cocaine" Jones caught for 761 yards in 12 games. That's pretty damn good. The guy is 6'6, damn good speed, and he's a former #1 pick. Hell, wouldn't he instantly be the best WR on the roster?

He was dumped after being arrested for cocaine & later drank beer at a golf course. As far as I know he's never been an ass-bag in the locker room (thanks Cedric). He's had relatively minor problems, and I'm sure Lovie has already forgiven him.

Not to mention he's only 25.

Most importantly, signing him would give us true flexibility on draft day. We'd have legitimate starters at every position and could truly operate with the intent of drafting the best player available.

Last season Matt "Cocaine" Jones caught for 761 yards in 12 games. That's pretty damn good. The guy is 6'6, damn good speed, and he's a former #1 pick. Hell, wouldn't he instantly be the best WR on the roster?

He was dumped after being arrested for cocaine & later drank beer at a golf course. As far as I know he's never been an ass-bag in the locker room (thanks Cedric). He's had relatively minor problems, and I'm sure Lovie has already forgiven him.

Most importantly, signing him would give us true flexibility on draft day. We'd have legitimate starters at every position and could truly operate with the intent of drafting the best player available.

Personally, I would love the move. I just feel the front office is reluctant, as many front offices are, unwilling to gamble on off-the-field problems. You are right, I fell it would be a huge upgrade to our WRs with a young talented guy and would free us up to go after the BPA in the draft.

Personally, I would love the move. I just feel the front office is reluctant, as many front offices are, unwilling to gamble on off-the-field problems. You are right, I fell it would be a huge upgrade to our WRs with a young talented guy and would free us up to go after the BPA in the draft.

IMO we don't have a problem with players who have "minor" off the field problems. Dusty Dvoracek beat his buddy into a coma in college, Brandon Lloyd was considered an ass, Brian Griese was a drunk, Moose had been arrested . . . I could go on. What gets players dumped is when the head-line reads, "Chicago Bear running back Cedric Benson was arrested again today . . . "

It's a lot better when the head-line read, "Cincinati signs former #4 overall draft-pick for the veteran minimum."

We'd never go after TO or Michael Vick. Their issues become bigger then the team itself, and that's counterproductive.

Matt Jones was caught snorting cocaine. To me that's not any worse then injecting your body with human growth hormones in order to enhance your production on the football field. (I'd guess that at least 1/2 the NFL uses HGH . . . compare today's NFL with 20 years ago. Something ain't right.)

Chances are Matt Jones will sign a one year deal for the minimum. I'm hoping the Bears are one of the teams he gets to choose from.

JA does not want to be answering questions about him at press conferences so we won't see this happen. Does Jones face any league suspension time?

Good question about the suspension time. I don't recall Cedric ever being suspended. It's possible Matt Jones could be suspended, but the only violation I'm aware of is that he was drinking beer, thus violating his parole. He wasn't being disruptive, he didn't beat up his body guard or a nerd at Denny's, he wasn't even drinking and driving. He was drinking beer. My guess is if he's suspended it won't be for long.

Not only would Matt Jones beable to come in and make our WR group better but by signing him we can keep him from signing with a Division rival. So it would serve two purposes by signing him not including the draft flexibibity or maybe the ability to make a run at Cutler?

Sign him!!

I'm all for it. It's something I've mentioned before. Then again, I've been on record numerous times about signing troubled WRs.

Problem is, what will his league suspension be? Correct me if I am wrong, but he has already been nailed for a 4 game suspension. If he gets another suspension, which is expected, how long will it be for?

Is he really worth the trouble?

I'm all for it. It's something I've mentioned before. Then again, I've been on record numerous times about signing troubled WRs.

Problem is, what will his league suspension be? Correct me if I am wrong, but he has already been nailed for a 4 game suspension. If he gets another suspension, which is expected, how long will it be for?

Is he really worth the trouble?

Matt Jones broke his parole by drinking beer at a golf course. Sure, they could go hard on him, but somehow I think he'll get off easy on this one. He didn't do anything illegal he just embarrassed his team. My guess is 6 games maximum.

We spent 16 games waiting for Earl Bennett to learn the damn playbook.

Matt Jones is 25 and was just starting to develop. Is it really that much of a risk.

A big key for me is a player who has past character issues must show he is ready to move on and grow up. While having a beer is not a biggie, if he is on probation and can not drink, and yet he does, has he really learned from his past and made a decision to change?

Matt Jones broke his parole by drinking beer at a golf course. Sure, they could go hard on him, but somehow I think he'll get off easy on this one. He didn't do anything illegal he just embarrassed his team. My guess is 6 games maximum.

We spent 16 games waiting for Earl Bennett to learn the damn playbook.

Matt Jones is 25 and was just starting to develop. Is it really that much of a risk.

A big key for me is a player who has past character issues must show he is ready to move on and grow up. While having a beer is not a biggie, if he is on probation and can not drink, and yet he does, has he really learned from his past and made a decision to change?

The weird thing with that whole story is that it sounded almost like the cop was out to get him from some reason. From what I got, Matt Jones or his friend didn't appear to be doing anything wrong, and the cop siad, "Hey, that's Matt Jones!" and arrested him. I could be missing something on that.

We've had players doing far worse. If we think he's cleaned his act up, why the hell not?

Keep in mind cocaine isn't a recreational drug. While there have been plenty of athletes who've managed to keep it barely under control, I'm sure there are others who have wrecked their life. If Matt has clearly been sober (based on constant drug testing ) for many, many months, then I can go along with a second chance. But even then, as the previous poster stated, only if Matt doesn't have other personal/attitude problems.

I want to be proud of my Bears as much as I want them to win. I don't get one cent when the Bears win and I don't have any reason to feel ashamed when they put on a poor effort. If, however, the Bears are full of nothing but a bunch of low-class criminals, that says something about me if I call them my favorite team.

Keep in mind cocaine isn't a recreational drug. While there have been plenty of athletes who've managed to keep it barely under control, I'm sure there are others who have wrecked their life. If Matt has clearly been sober (based on constant drug testing ) for many, many months, then I can go along with a second chance. But even then, as the previous poster stated, only if Matt doesn't have other personal/attitude problems.

I want to be proud of my Bears as much as I want them to win. I don't get one cent when the Bears win and I don't have any reason to feel ashamed when they put on a poor effort. If, however, the Bears are full of nothing but a bunch of low-class criminals, that says something about me if I call them my favorite team.

Are Human Growth Hormones a recreational drug? I would literally stake my life, my families lives, and everything I own that the Bears have players who are on HGH.

I don't like cocaine use, HGH use, pot use (but I personally find beer to be A-OK.)

We know these players are using. We don't care that they're doing drugs, we only care that they get caught and embarrass our team.