A Load of Interesting Bears Notes

dawhizz

The one thing I take from that article as fact:

The Bears are DEFINITELY interested in Stephen Hodge. If the guy is a relative of Lovie Smith like the article says, there is no way that Lovie doesn't have him on the radar.

Actually, I think the point was the opposite. Used to be, when only a couple teams ran the 3-4, players who fit that scheme could be found in bargain areas. A DE who is viewed as a tweener (260lbs) might not be considered big enough to play a traditional 4-3 role, but that is actually the type of DE seen in cover two schemes. But now, w/ so many teams running a 3-4, those players are in higher demand, and thus the bargains may no longer be there. A player like English may have fallen in past years due to his size, but this year, his stock is up.

Another interesting note was that players who fit a 3-4 system could be found for bargains. Now with more teams going to that, I wonder if some cover two players could be found later for bargains. Interesting to think about.

Actually, I think the point was the opposite. Used to be, when only a couple teams ran the 3-4, players who fit that scheme could be found in bargain areas. A DE who is viewed as a tweener (260lbs) might not be considered big enough to play a traditional 4-3 role, but that is actually the type of DE seen in cover two schemes. But now, w/ so many teams running a 3-4, those players are in higher demand, and thus the bargains may no longer be there. A player like English may have fallen in past years due to his size, but this year, his stock is up.

Yeah, I meant before this draft. Sorry, I wrote it a little weird.

So do you think we may be able to find some cover two types--quicker DT, bigger CB, faster S--that drop because of the new run of 3-4 type players. I assume that most of those teams will be after the tweeners like you say or the 2gap DT's.

One problem is, much of the 3-4 scheme DL is also seen in our 4-3 cover two. We may view a 260 lb DE as a DE, and a 3-4 scheme would view them as an OLB, but the point is, both would regard the player highly. Ditto IMHO at DT. A guy we like at DT may be seen as a DE in other scheme. And as for a bigger DT, that player too is desired to play the NT spot in a 3-4. So, w/ regard to the DL, I do not see the great value slipping this year.

Also not sure how much the faster safeties drop. One, this is not a great S class anyway, thus players tend to be reached on rather than fall. Two, regardless what sort of scheme you run, a good safety is always a value.

Where I do see potential on defense for "value".

CB - While I disagree in principle, the reality is most believe a slower CB better fits a cover two scheme as the cover two uses more zone and less man. In man coverage, a slower CB can get killed, but in a zone coverage, the lack of speed is more masked. So I can see CB being a value pick this year, as in most years. IMHO, that is one reason Angelo has done well at CB (Tillman, Vasher, McBride, Graham). I don't think any of these players were viewed as great speed guys, and thus slipped in the draft. For other schemes, that may be a problem, but not so much for ours.

LB - LB is the other area I think we can find value more and more. We give up size for speed. Urlacher is an exception to the rule, as he was always a freak w/ the athleticism of a 230 lb LB, yet w/ a nearly 260lb frame. But our next biggest LB is Briggs, who has actually bulked up to 240 over the last year or so, after playing closer to around 235 previously. Both SLBs (Hunter and Roach) weigh in at 238 and 234, respectively. Our depth ranges between 225 and 235. So, while many teams would pass on a 230lb LB questioning his size, I think that is the sort of player we like. LB may not be considered a high need, but is a position I think we can find talent later in the draft, as players we tend to like seem to slip on draft day.

Offense could be interesting this year too. Couple positions I think we are looking for, which often tend to slip on draft day:

WR - I believe we need a possession WR far more than a deep threat. On draft day, speed is so highlighted. A guy w/ great hands and route running tends to slip. While I remain very high on Nicks, there are other players (Robiskie, Iglesias) among others, who are as likely as not to slip due to their lack of 40 times.

OL - In the past, we have always seemed to stress the importance of athleticism in our OL. Further, in looking at OTs, we always seemed to need a potential LT. This year, I think our view is different. W/ Williams, though unproven, at LT, we are looking more so for a pure RT. Further, I read more and more than we are now stressing size/strength more so than athleticism. So basically, we are looking for the grunt road graders. Those OL tend to slip a tad more in the draft. Teams will reach for an athletic OT who may potentially play either LT or RT, but a not so much for a pure RT. Similar at OG. Less athletic road graders can be found for better value than other, more athletic players who may have a chance to move outside in the NFL.

RB - We have our starter and need depth/ change of pace. Some believe that could be Wolfe, but the point is, if we are looking for a compliment player, value can be found. RBs who do not have as great of an expectation to be an everydown player slip in the draft, and thus value can be found.

TE - It kills me we could be looking to draft a TE, but the rumors say we want a better blocking TE, and that Davis didn't step up in that role. A blocking TE can be found late in the draft, as TEs w/ receiving go far earlier. Personally, I would rather just get a freaking FB that can block, but our staff seems to prefer the idea of a blocking TE.

Yeah, I meant before this draft. Sorry, I wrote it a little weird.

So do you think we may be able to find some cover two types--quicker DT, bigger CB, faster S--that drop because of the new run of 3-4 type players. I assume that most of those teams will be after the tweeners like you say or the 2gap DT's.

One problem is, much of the 3-4 scheme DL is also seen in our 4-3 cover two. We may view a 260 lb DE as a DE, and a 3-4 scheme would view them as an OLB, but the point is, both would regard the player highly. Ditto IMHO at DT. A guy we like at DT may be seen as a DE in other scheme. And as for a bigger DT, that player too is desired to play the NT spot in a 3-4. So, w/ regard to the DL, I do not see the great value slipping this year.

I think that on the DL there is a wee bit more of a difference. Both DEs and the NT have to be beefier. Sure, there is crossover with tweener DE/LBs, but the fast attacking DTs don't fit anywhere in a 3-4 scheme. The guys that would be able to play NT well in a 3-4 would more resemble the "big fatties" of Blache's defense as opposed to the Tampa-2. Both Traylor and Washington played some NT before the end of their career btw.

I think you're dead on about S, LB, and CBs.

I don't know. I think more and more NTs are not as big as the big fatties of our old scheme.

In Dallas, Ratcliff is just over 300lbs, while is backup (Tank Johnson) is 305lb.

Pitt's Casey Hampton is around 320 lbs.

Baltimore's Gregg is only 315lbs.

Miami's Fergusen is 305lbs.

NE's Wilfork is 325lbs.

There are still some true big boys, like Sd's Williams who is about 350lbs, but I think that is more the exception than the rule today. Even in the 3-4, you just do not often see the fat boys anymore like a Ted Washington. Most are between 300 to 325lbs.

I think that on the DL there is a wee bit more of a difference. Both DEs and the NT have to be beefier. Sure, there is crossover with tweener DE/LBs, but the fast attacking DTs don't fit anywhere in a 3-4 scheme. The guys that would be able to play NT well in a 3-4 would more resemble the "big fatties" of Blache's defense as opposed to the Tampa-2. Both Traylor and Washington played some NT before the end of their career btw.

I think you're dead on about S, LB, and CBs.