Hakeem Nicks

nfoligno

Just wanted to throw out an update I read about Nicks.

Parcells and Sporano went to NC to hold a private workout w/ Nicks. That alone is somewhat newsworthy as Parcells rarely travels for such visits. Thus, if you believe Parcells is a good talent evaluator, this may mean something.

At the workout, Nicks weight 216, which is 10 lbs less than what he weighed at the schools pro day and w/ in 2 lbs of his combine weight. It was said all along that his injury caused his weight increase, and once healthy, hit again hit the weight room and got his weight back to expectation. Further, it was said he caught everything thrown his way and simply looked great in the workout.

I believed all along that, once healthy, he would get his weight back down and his stock would once again rise. We see the temporary rises and falls this time of year. Smith dumped his stock after the combine, but once again appears a top 10 selection.

I think 18 is the top end area of Nicks value, but w/ his weight back to expectation, I think Nicks is again a player to very much consider w/ the 1st pick. IMHO, he is our best option. I believe there is no other player in the draft, minus Crabtree, who fits our needs at WR more than Nicks. Most all consider Maclin a superior talent, but I believe Nicks is still the better fit for the team, and considerably a greater fit than DHB, Harvin or Britt.

Parcells and Sporano went to NC to hold a private workout w/ Nicks. That alone is somewhat newsworthy as Parcells rarely travels for such visits. Thus, if you believe Parcells is a good talent evaluator, this may mean something.

At the workout, Nicks weight 216, which is 10 lbs less than what he weighed at the schools pro day and w/ in 2 lbs of his combine weight. It was said all along that his injury caused his weight increase, and once healthy, hit again hit the weight room and got his weight back to expectation. Further, it was said he caught everything thrown his way and simply looked great in the workout.

I believed all along that, once healthy, he would get his weight back down and his stock would once again rise. We see the temporary rises and falls this time of year. Smith dumped his stock after the combine, but once again appears a top 10 selection.

I think 18 is the top end area of Nicks value, but w/ his weight back to expectation, I think Nicks is again a player to very much consider w/ the 1st pick. IMHO, he is our best option. I believe there is no other player in the draft, minus Crabtree, who fits our needs at WR more than Nicks. Most all consider Maclin a superior talent, but I believe Nicks is still the better fit for the team, and considerably a greater fit than DHB, Harvin or Britt.

I forget....was the knock on Hicks his hands or just the weight thing?

Weight. He is actually considered to be among the elite WRs in the draft in terms of hands. Nicks is elite in the categories of: getting clean release off the LOS, running routes, catching the ball.

Knocks on Nicks:

Speed. He lacks pure straight line speed. He ran the 40 in 4.48 or 4.49, but numbers aside, he is not considered a WR who will run a go route and simply burn the DB. He is considered however to have very good quickness and acceleration. He is also physical, and can use that attribute fighting against DBs. Compared often to WRs like Boldin and Keyshawn Johnson as examples of WRs who lacked pure speed, but were still playmakers who could work downfield.

Weight. He weighed in around 214 at the combine, but then was more like 226 or something at his schools pro day. Red flags went up that he had weight issues. Thing is, he suffered a minor (quad?) injury at the combine which prevented him from working out. More recent, now healthy, his weight is back down and he again (physically) looks good.

IQ - He actually had a bad wonderlic too. This raised flags. Me? I just point back to his career. Before the wonderlic thing was ever seen, his coaches talked about how he was the type that immediately picked up the playbook and took no time to near new plays. Talked about how he was the sort that would not only quickly learn a play (memory) but would quickly understand it, allowing him to play w/ instinct on the field rather than spending all his time "thinking" about the plays. Wonderlic raised a flag, but at the same time, seems to counter all previous evidence.

To me, there is no better WR to pair w/ Hester. Some would call Nicks a possession WR, but I would say he is a possession WR the same way others like Boldin or K.Johnson are/were. He isn't the sort who will wow scouts in shorts (like DHB) but on the field, few can stop him. He is the type QBs simply love because he is always where he is supposed to be, able to get open and best of all, catches the damn ball. Further, despite his lack of pure speed, he is actually solid after the catch.

I forget....was the knock on Hicks his hands or just the weight thing?

Weight. He is actually considered to be among the elite WRs in the draft in terms of hands. Nicks is elite in the categories of: getting clean release off the LOS, running routes, catching the ball.

Knocks on Nicks:

Speed. He lacks pure straight line speed. He ran the 40 in 4.48 or 4.49, but numbers aside, he is not considered a WR who will run a go route and simply burn the DB. He is considered however to have very good quickness and acceleration. He is also physical, and can use that attribute fighting against DBs. Compared often to WRs like Boldin and Keyshawn Johnson as examples of WRs who lacked pure speed, but were still playmakers who could work downfield.

Weight. He weighed in around 214 at the combine, but then was more like 226 or something at his schools pro day. Red flags went up that he had weight issues. Thing is, he suffered a minor (quad?) injury at the combine which prevented him from working out. More recent, now healthy, his weight is back down and he again (physically) looks good.

IQ - He actually had a bad wonderlic too. This raised flags. Me? I just point back to his career. Before the wonderlic thing was ever seen, his coaches talked about how he was the type that immediately picked up the playbook and took no time to near new plays. Talked about how he was the sort that would not only quickly learn a play (memory) but would quickly understand it, allowing him to play w/ instinct on the field rather than spending all his time "thinking" about the plays. Wonderlic raised a flag, but at the same time, seems to counter all previous evidence.

To me, there is no better WR to pair w/ Hester. Some would call Nicks a possession WR, but I would say he is a possession WR the same way others like Boldin or K.Johnson are/were. He isn't the sort who will wow scouts in shorts (like DHB) but on the field, few can stop him. He is the type QBs simply love because he is always where he is supposed to be, able to get open and best of all, catches the damn ball. Further, despite his lack of pure speed, he is actually solid after the catch.

Ok. I can't keep straight the speed guys with bad hands and the Nicks type.

I agree I would like this type of "go to" possesion playmaker ala TO and Boldin.

I just hope he wouldn't struggle with the playbook like Bennett.

The Bennett/playbook situation really is beyond me. While I can't say I ever recall reading about Bennett's ability in the film room or in terms of picking up plays, he was at Vanderbilt and did well enough on his own wonderlic (something like 18 to 20). I could have understood many things having held him back, or limiting him his rookie year. Learning the playbook is not among them.

Two ways to look at it.

One. If Bennett can't learn the playbook, how can a low wonderlic boy like Nicks.

Two. Wonderlic may simply not be the best key in a football players ability to learn football.

Did you ever see the movie "The Program". I remember a scene where this big talent DL could barely read in a class room, but then in a team study session, he was the first to answer questions about assignments, plays, whatever.

Now, I am not comparing Nicks to him in the classroom, nor am I pretending to believe that move was realistic. The point I do think worth noting is the idea that some are book smart, while others are football smart.

Ok. I can't keep straight the speed guys with bad hands and the Nicks type.

I agree I would like this type of "go to" possesion playmaker ala TO and Boldin.

I just hope he wouldn't struggle with the playbook like Bennett.

The Bennett/playbook situation really is beyond me. While I can't say I ever recall reading about Bennett's ability in the film room or in terms of picking up plays, he was at Vanderbilt and did well enough on his own wonderlic (something like 18 to 20). I could have understood many things having held him back, or limiting him his rookie year. Learning the playbook is not among them.

Two ways to look at it.

One. If Bennett can't learn the playbook, how can a low wonderlic boy like Nicks.

Two. Wonderlic may simply not be the best key in a football players ability to learn football.

Did you ever see the movie "The Program". I remember a scene where this big talent DL could barely read in a class room, but then in a team study session, he was the first to answer questions about assignments, plays, whatever.

Now, I am not comparing Nicks to him in the classroom, nor am I pretending to believe that move was realistic. The point I do think worth noting is the idea that some are book smart, while others are football smart.

The other thing is weird is that Hester is as dumb as a box of rocks and he was able to at least get on the field for some plays his first year at WR. He obviously didn't know everything, but he was able to get out there a little.

Maybe they just wanted Hester out there to try and use his athleticism, but I also am stunned by the lack of progression by Bennett lasy year with the playbook.

I think if JA believes he will be good, take him at 28 because we dont have the 25th pick where he might be slated.

Wanna here something funny? Hester and Bennett had the same wonderlic score (18).

Honestly, I would not credit Hester too much. He wasn't handed the playbook to learn. More like he was given a couple plays to get down, and even then..... Don't you recall the game where, on I think 3 different downs, Moose literally was pushing Hester into position as Hester came out of the huddle totally clueless where to line up?

Now, saying that, I have to wonder why at some point we couldn't focus on a certain group of plays w/ Bennett to get him on the field sooner. While he may take time to learn the entire playbook, if he could focus on and sooner learn a handful of plays (like w/ Hester) we could have at least gotten him on the field, and he may have helped.

The other thing is weird is that Hester is as dumb as a box of rocks and he was able to at least get on the field for some plays his first year at WR. He obviously didn't know everything, but he was able to get out there a little.

Maybe they just wanted Hester out there to try and use his athleticism, but I also am stunned by the lack of progression by Bennett lasy year with the playbook.

Um, I assume you mean 18?

We are at the top end of where I have seen him "slated" to go, but he may not even get to 25 as many think Minny could be seriously looking at him.

Now that would make me sick. I would much prefer they took Troy Williamson, er, I mean Darrius Heyward-Bey.

I think if JA believes he will be good, take him at 28 because we dont have the 25th pick where he might be slated.

Wanna here something funny? Hester and Bennett had the same wonderlic score (18).

Honestly, I would not credit Hester too much. He wasn't handed the playbook to learn. More like he was given a couple plays to get down, and even then..... Don't you recall the game where, on I think 3 different downs, Moose literally was pushing Hester into position as Hester came out of the huddle totally clueless where to line up?

Now, saying that, I have to wonder why at some point we couldn't focus on a certain group of plays w/ Bennett to get him on the field sooner. While he may take time to learn the entire playbook, if he could focus on and sooner learn a handful of plays (like w/ Hester) we could have at least gotten him on the field, and he may have helped.

Wow. I assumed Bennett was better than that. Well it explains a little.