Orton

JRCook79

Am I literally the only one who thinks giving up Orton was a mistake? I don't think Joe Montana could have done more with the hodge-podge set of tools Orton had available to him, eg Rashied "Arena-Hands" Davis and Marty Booker. I would not be surprised if Orton is a top tier quarterback next year under the coaching staff in Denver.

Mistake, no. Sad he is gone, yes. I have nothing but good things to say about Orton and truly wish him well...except when he plays the Bears.

Am I literally the only one who thinks giving up Orton was a mistake? I don't think Joe Montana could have done more with the hodge-podge set of tools Orton had available to him, eg Rashied "Arena-Hands" Davis and Marty Booker. I would not be surprised if Orton is a top tier quarterback next year under the coaching staff in Denver.

I would have loved to keep Orton as a backup, but if Orton is what it took to get it done, you send him packing.

He had one season as an anointed starter. So of course none of the pundits or fans who say he wasn't a long term answer actually know that to be true. After injuring himself he slowly started playing better, finally finishing the season with a week17 game QB rating in the 90's. The two players are as strikingly similar in some ways (tall, strong-armed, young, don't get rattled) as they are different in others (deep ball accuracy, maturity, mobility).

I'm definitely one of the few on this board that initially thought the deal sounded terrible because you look around the league and compare him to other QB's and there didn't seem to be any reason Orton shouldn't continue to grow into an elite QB. Especially since most seem to agree that on another offense Orton's 79.6 rating would be more like an 85. so two firsts and a third are a lot to give up if you're just upgrading from/losing Orton rather than Jonathan Quinn, or even Rex. But apparently Cutler is more than hype when you look into some of the things that make him really special. It's hard to put a price on players that are truly special. AND he grew up a Bears fan so maybe he won't just be gone in 2 years when it's time to negotiate a new contract. I read that even though Cutler tends to be a bit antisocial, he still had close friends on the Broncos who were high character guys so I don't expect him to be a character problem.

Actually, I agree with you. I think the price the Bears paid was rather steep. I'm happy to get Cutler. Hell, I'm ecstatic. However, I think it was pricey. I would like to have kept Orton or the third rounder if possible. I've always thought Orton was a lot better than what most thought. The dude was in contention for the Heisman when he was in college. Having said that, if taking away either option stops the deal, then you include the options and get it done. (bravo JA)

I wish him the best, and I predict he'll easily win the battle versus Simms. Further, I agree with you that Orton could have a very good year next year. If he starts all the games there is a near guarantee (IMHO) that he'll break 3500 yards.

Mistake, heck no I was saying we'd have to give up Orton to get the deal done. The question was would Denver feel Orton is a good enough QB to fill in for a year while they groom their next franchise QB. Make no mistake they are going after someone in this draft, likely Sanchez. In Orton they get a guy who works hard and doesn't make many mistakes. Problem is he can't work all areas of the field like Cutler so defenses can take more chances.

I wish Kyle the best and I think he'll have a very serviceable NFL career. But right now I'm so excited about what the Bears got. Could the Bears have been okay with Orton, sure, but do they have the chance to be great with Cutler, absolutely.