ESPN hates this for the Bears

nfoligno

Schlereth contradicted himself in his analysis. He stated that a few years down the road Denver would be the better team because of the two extra picks. First consider that Cutler himself is a 1st Rd pick. I view the Orton transaction as us trading him for a 5th Rd pick, one round below where we selected him. I'd say he's worth a 4th but doubt anyone would have given us a 3rd for him. Consider that Denver will likely have to use our 1st Rd pick to get another QB with similar franchise talent, doing that just gets them back to where they were with Cutler, plus they have Orton but only for a year. They could have potentially had him as an FA next year. That means in extra picks to INCREASE the quality of their team above what they had with Cutler, Denver has one 1st Rd pick and a 3rd Rd pick.

Now if Denver trades both 1st Rd picks this year to move up early and draft Sanchez then it's a wash and all they really have left to from the trade to increase the talent of their team is an extra 3rd. Does anyone think that will put them over the top? Keep in mind that 1st Rd QBs are still a 50/50 shot.

Where Schlereth was really outside the box was stating that Denver in a few years would be better with those extra picks yet for the Bears it was all about this year. It's not. We now don't have to worry about using picks or FA cash on a QB and developmental time on a QB. That last part is a big deal IMO. I see no reason we can't fill our holes in a couple year just like Denver, it must might not be all through the draft. Did Schlereth forget about FA?

Let's not forget that Shanahan traded up in the first round to select Cutler with the 11th overall pick! So your are right they have spent more on Cutler when you include what it will take to replace him with a new potential franchise QB. The bears already wasted enough first rounders trying to get offesive skilled players that they won't miss the picks they gave up. Actually they probably save boats load of money that would have been guarnteed to future 1st round busts!

I should specify that. Watching NFL Today, or whatever the ESPN show, Dilfer and Shlerif (however you spell it) just blasted the bears.

Basically said the bears have too many holes to give up so much. What cracked me up was, Dilfer said Detroit was the biggest loser, saying they should have made the trade. Like Detroit doesn't have holes? Seems a bit of a contradiction.

Seriously, though, what irrated me as much as anything was the way they talked about it.

- Pointed out the Bears lost both starting OTs. Failed to mention (a) those two OTs sucked (B) we have a 1st round pick coming off a red shirt season © added two other veterans in Omiyale and Shaffer and (d) while they reported we signed Pace, the failed to factor that point at all only stressing we lost our starting OTs.

- Talked about how he won't throw as much in Chicago as in Denver (system and weather) acting like QB isn't important in a non-high flying offense. Seriously, it was near funny listening to Dilfer, not to mention expected. As he was never very good, he seemed to take the position almost that QB just isn't a big deal.

- Railed about how bad the bears D is, w/o even touching on coaching changes.

- As for Cutler specifically, they acted like he is barely above average. You should have heard them. Strike that. Youl wouldn't want to. They said Aaron Rodgers is far and away the better QB, both physically and mentally. Said it was not even close. Huh? Further, you should have heard them praising Orton. I loved Orton, and always supported him, but when did he become such a great QB?

It was truly unbelievable.

Who cares. Really, they are analysts and this is what they are paid to do. I am as happy as a a pig in slop.

Peace :dabears

Some of you guys are acting like I'm asking why did Cutler require more value? Duh. I asked why he required insanely more. Cassell was practically given away for free. In fact I can't fathom how Denver wasn't able to aquire Cassell if they wanted him so much. All they had to do was give up a second rounder and not require Vrabel and it would have been a better deal. In fact, why didn't Cassell become a Bear (remember we didn't know Cutler would be available yet)? We could have easily beaten that and had great depth with two promising young QB's at the very least...all for nothing more than a second rounder.

I guess the best answer I've heard is that the two coaches were buddy-buddy, but that's still pretty far-fetched. Also, apparently JA was never going to offer 2 first rounders but just threw his hands up and did it when crazy Daniel Snyder started screwing things up. He may have already informed Kyle of his intentions and just wasn't going to go back ofter that.

It drives me nuts when people act like all draft picks within a round have the same value. There is NO way we could have gotten Cassell for our second rounder. The pick that KC traded for Cassell was the 34th overall pick - nearly a first rounder. Our 2nd round pick is #49. Nowhere in the same neighborhood. Neither is Denver's 2nd at #48 either.

Some personnel folks value picks 20-40 as the most valuable in the draft because of the talent/cost ratio. Obviously the Patriots feel that way.

As for what Angelo's intentions were originally on what to offer, where in the world did you hear that? He said in an interview that he knew he had to go in strong or else he'd get blown off. I don't know if you take Angelo at his word. I do. He generally says things that are truthful even if a bit cryptic.

One of the reasons Cassell required so much less to get the deal done is that he was going to require a big new contract.

Another reason that Cassell was traded for only the 34th pick is because the Patriots need to move him quickly to clear his $15ish million off their cap so they could be free to sign other free agents. They set a time limit, the Denver option was going to be a 3 team trade and required more time to finagle than the Pat's were willing to wait.

Does that help you?

It drives me nuts when people act like all draft picks within a round have the same value. There is NO way we could have gotten Cassell for our second rounder. The pick that KC traded for Cassell was the 34th overall pick - nearly a first rounder. Our 2nd round pick is #49. Nowhere in the same neighborhood. Neither is Denver's 2nd at #48 either.

Some personnel folks value picks 20-40 as the most valuable in the draft because of the talent/cost ratio. Obviously the Patriots feel that way.

As for what Angelo's intentions were originally on what to offer, where in the world did you hear that? He said in an interview that he knew he had to go in strong or else he'd get blown off. I don't know if you take Angelo at his word. I do. He generally says things that are truthful even if a bit cryptic.

One of the reasons Cassell required so much less to get the deal done is that he was going to require a big new contract.

Another reason that Cassell was traded for only the 34th pick is because the Patriots need to move him quickly to clear his $15ish million off their cap so they could be free to sign other free agents. They set a time limit, the Denver option was going to be a 3 team trade and required more time to finagle than the Pat's were willing to wait.

Does that help you?

Hub Arkush or whatever is name said that the Bears initially thought they had a deal done with just one first but Washington upped the offer and it sounded as if the Skins and Broncos were going to be the deal but than Angelo came in hard and essentially got the deal done. However, Angelo basically countered what Hub said by stating that it all happened in a matter of thirty minutes and that he came in hard and strong.

Hub Arkush or whatever is name said that the Bears initially thought they had a deal done with just one first but Washington upped the offer and it sounded as if the Skins and Broncos were going to be the deal but than Angelo came in hard and essentially got the deal done. However, Angelo basically countered what Hub said by stating that it all happened in a matter of thirty minutes and that he came in hard and strong.

I see. I never take the word of disgruntled ex-employees seriously. Hub doubly so.