Cutler Will Have to Win Over This Locker Room

dawhizz

Sometimes, teams make moves and you get the sense that the team is genuinely, enthusiasticlaly behind the move. When the Bulls got Derrick Rose, everyone, no matter who you talked to on the team, was visibly thrilled and he had respect from day one. Every Bear I have heard speak about the trade has brought up, even when not prompted, that they really believed in Kyle Orton as QB and are sorry to see him go. Cutler's not going to be handed anything by this team. One hopes that changes the moment he throws a 60 yard bomb on the money, but if he thinks that making the Pro Bowl and moving to a city which has been plagued with questionable to bad QB play for most of the past 50-some years is going to give him some automatic validation, he's going to be disappointed. I think it will help A LOT to have 2 former teammates (Williams and Bennett) on the team, but they are both young and neither are leaders in the locker room. I'll be interested to see how things develop.

Sometimes, teams make moves and you get the sense that the team is genuinely, enthusiasticlaly behind the move. When the Bulls got Derrick Rose, everyone, no matter who you talked to on the team, was visibly thrilled and he had respect from day one. Every Bear I have heard speak about the trade has brought up, even when not prompted, that they really believed in Kyle Orton as QB and are sorry to see him go. Cutler's not going to be handed anything by this team. One hopes that changes the moment he throws a 60 yard bomb on the money, but if he thinks that making the Pro Bowl and moving to a city which has been plagued with questionable to bad QB play for most of the past 50-some years is going to give him some automatic validation, he's going to be disappointed. I think it will help A LOT to have 2 former teammates (Williams and Bennett) on the team, but they are both young and neither are leaders in the locker room. I'll be interested to see how things develop.

I just hope some of the older players used to being in the spot light are not going to be "babies" themselves. Urlacher sounded like he was being a baby last night when answering questions. Urlacher has been the face of this Team for a long time, if he can put his ego aside and accept Cutler with open arms then the whole team will embrace him.

I just hope some of the older players used to being in the spot light are not going to be "babies" themselves. Urlacher sounded like he was being a baby last night when answering questions. Urlacher has been the face of this Team for a long time, if he can put his ego aside and accept Cutler with open arms then the whole team will embrace him.

I agree that he will have to win over the team. I believe he won't have much problem doing so. Considering that the one thing the bears have lacked is QB who can overcome problems, like throwing a pick. Cutler has proved that his best quarter is the 4th quarter. Which is exactly what we need. A qb who can win late ball games.

Anybody have what Urlacher said somewhere?? IMO, Urlacher is hardly an ego guy.

I agree with this and hav said so in another thread. You dont make a bold move like this and not hand the reigns over to the guy. Basically JA has gone all in with this QB move. If it doesn't work out he will be looking for a new job. The old guard that has gotten all the attention for any successes to this point will need to understand this. The good thing for JA is that the fans are not so in love with the defense and their players anymore. Five years ago, that defense basically ruled the roost. Not anymore. And I think that players like Url are not going to be happy with that. Hopefully he will get over it, because if not, I dont think JA will hesitate to start looking for other options. JA has staked his claim to Cutler and he is not going to let the "captain" of a underacheiving defense start trouble.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-0...0,2912681.story

"I would be ticked off, too, if someone was trying to trade me and didn't tell me about it," Urlacher said.

"I don't think Jay is going to be an issue. We have a pretty good locker room, so I'm not worried about that. … I'm not worried about him fitting in."

Urlacher was as shocked as anyone when the Bears pulled Thursday's stunning trade, sending Kyle Orton, a first- and third-round draft pick in April and a first-rounder in 2010 to Denver for Cutler and a fifth-round pick this year.

"I guess we got better as a team," Urlacher said. "You get a quarterback who is a Pro Bowl guy.

"But I will say this: I think Kyle Orton is a good quarterback. He's a great teammate. I hope he does really well in Denver."

Maybe you know of another Urlacher.....the one I know is all ego.

Look at this one

"I guess the Bears felt like we needed another quarterback, so they made a move," Urlacher told the Chicago Tribune. "They gave up a lot. Cutler must be pretty good."

"I guess we got better as a team," Urlacher added, according to the newspaper. "You get a quarterback who is a Pro Bowl guy. But I will say this: I think Kyle Orton is a good quarterback. He's a great teammate. I hope he does really well in Denver."

Well at least he guesses we got better.

I thought I was missing something cause I saw those quotes. I can't see anything wrong with what Urlacher said. In fact, he seems to side with Cutler on the whole issue while also giving his props to Kyle.

And yeah I guess we do see 2 different players. I see one that is usually pretty quiet and always passes the praise on to his teammates.

An ego guy, I think would have made a stink when Lovie came aboard and brought this stupid as system that has Url and all the things that make him great, battle in the trenches with O lineman or back peddle 20 yards off of the LOS.

The ESPN article seems to make it seem more negative: This seems a little better. http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-0...0,2912681.story

Good! He'll have to "earn" some elment of his job! I believe he'll do just that.

I agree with you. I know I debated similar with Benson. But this is different. Cutler is proven. Sehanigans shouldn't be tolerated in the least. And I honestly don't think it'll even pop up at all...

I agree with this and hav said so in another thread. You dont make a bold move like this and not hand the reigns over to the guy. Basically JA has gone all in with this QB move. If it doesn't work out he will be looking for a new job. The old guard that has gotten all the attention for any successes to this point will need to understand this. The good thing for JA is that the fans are not so in love with the defense and their players anymore. Five years ago, that defense basically ruled the roost. Not anymore. And I think that players like Url are not going to be happy with that. Hopefully he will get over it, because if not, I dont think JA will hesitate to start looking for other options. JA has staked his claim to Cutler and he is not going to let the "captain" of a underacheiving defense start trouble.

There is a good chance that he had a little bit of the deer in the headlights going on. I mean I knew the Bears were going after Cutler, but like everyone else on this board I didn't expected anything to come from it. I figured JA would give his offer and say take it or leave it and some other team would just add something to sweeten the deal. So I'll give Urlacher the benefit of the doubt on this one. Even I didn't know how to respond when friends(non Bears fans) started bombarding me with texts asking how happy I was.

Maybe you know of another Urlacher.....the one I know is all ego.

Look at this one

"I guess the Bears felt like we needed another quarterback, so they made a move," Urlacher told the Chicago Tribune. "They gave up a lot. Cutler must be pretty good."

"I guess we got better as a team," Urlacher added, according to the newspaper. "You get a quarterback who is a Pro Bowl guy. But I will say this: I think Kyle Orton is a good quarterback. He's a great teammate. I hope he does really well in Denver."

Well at least he guesses we got better.

This was Urlacher's first response, what's up with this "I guess crap" i know he liked Orton but at this point he is done and gone from the Bears team. There is no debate Cutler is a better qb then Orton. He better get behind Cutler quick. I got nothing but love for old #54 and will always but the attention prolly wont be on the D anymore unless they can get back to the defense of a couple of years ago.

Anyone that doesn't buy into Cutler can pack there bags, Urlacher first. Urlacher WAS the face of the franchise and he was a pathetic whiny little bitch that doesn't talk to the media and hasn't played at an elite level in a couple seasons. Cutler might also be considered whiny but he's a tough guy who in a short NFL career put up tremendous numbers in the 4th quarter and his first 3 seasons rank amongst the very best QB's first three seasons ever. Cutler is the organization and if people are going to get in the way of him, than see you. I want more Briggs and Cutler's than I want Urlachers thats for sure.

I'm sorry, I hate Urlacher more than most Bear fans. Thats not to say I don't like him as a player or anything like that, but over the past few years he's been an anti leader. He makes excuse after excuse for the D and just pisses me off.

Remember, there were the picks lost too. a staggering value. And Cutler will come in completely new to the offense while Kyle had been in it for years. Cutler also has a bit of a reputation (hopefully undeserved) for immaturity and Urlacher isn't the type to suffer fools. Don't act like you have no earthly idea why he might say "I guess" just because you don't like the guy. When you start slagging off innocent people you're taking the ass-clownery too far.

Remember, there were the picks lost too. a staggering value. And Cutler will come in completely new to the offense while Kyle had been in it for years. Cutler also has a bit of a reputation (hopefully undeserved) for immaturity and Urlacher isn't the type to suffer fools. Don't act like you have no earthly idea why he might say "I guess" just because you don't like the guy. When you start slagging off innocent people you're taking the ass-clownery too far.

Its been quite some time since Url has been the DPOY. He is the captain of a defense that reeks of poor leadership. He is hardly innocent and really has no business acting so aloof about such a bold move to help his franchise. He would be well served to shut his mouth and make sure the defense does not quit down the stretch this year, or he might find himself picking between half price deals to play for the Lions.

Its been quite some time since Url has been the DPOY. He is the captain of a defense that reeks of poor leadership. He is hardly innocent and really has no business acting so aloof about such a bold move to help his franchise. He would be well served to shut his mouth and make sure the defense does not quit down the stretch this year, or he might find himself picking between half price deals to play for the Lions.

He's not acting aloof about a bold move to help his franchise. He's acting aloof about a very risky move that has good reasons to look like may have not helped the team. It's also a risky move that has good reasons to look like it will help the team. It's both. But you knew that. It's already been pointed out many times. You just don't like him and so take another opportunity to insult him. It's wrong and immature. You're the one with the attitude problem, not him. I get tired of defending people from other people who love to be ugly. Just give it a rest. You'll be happier.

EDIT: errr, actually azbearsfan may not have been one of the more egregious, so sorry. but you know who you are.

Personally I'd prefer for Briggs or Tillman to lead the defense. I like the way they speak and they seem more vocal and willing to rip things when it needs to be done. if I'm the Bears, I'm working the phones to see if there is anyway to work out a Boldin for Urlacher and parts deal. I doubt its possible, but given all the positive PR the Bears have, now would be the perfect time to make such a move and than you slide Briggs to the middle with Jamar working outside (or you draft a guy like Cushing from USC).

We'd have to get a 1st rounder back to get Cushing I think!

Personally I'd prefer for Briggs or Tillman to lead the defense. I like the way they speak and they seem more vocal and willing to rip things when it needs to be done. if I'm the Bears, I'm working the phones to see if there is anyway to work out a Boldin for Urlacher and parts deal. I doubt its possible, but given all the positive PR the Bears have, now would be the perfect time to make such a move and than you slide Briggs to the middle with Jamar working outside (or you draft a guy like Cushing from USC).

And he's supposedly on 'roids as well. See PFT for rumour details.

Yeah, even if the rumor that he failed his Combine drug test turns out to be false, Cushing's clearly been juicing for a while. There are pictures of him in practice at USC and it's obvious he's got pretty severe gynecomastia, which is a red flag.

If we were going to get one of the USC 'backers, the only one I'd want would be Clay Matthews. He's faster than Cushing or Maualuga, way better in coverage than either of them, and hits just as hard. He's got enough power that they used to put him in a three-point stance at USC, but he's still mobile enough to play in a 4-3.