Are the Broncos receivers really "that" much better than the Bear's??

Bears4Ever_34

At first thought I would say absolutely. But then I started to think and the evidence might tell you a little something about Cutler. Take a look.

Before Cutler came into the starting lineup in 2006, Brandon Marshall had 6 rec 76 yards 1 TD through 12 games. Throughout the final 4 games of the year when Cutler came in, Marshall had 14 rec 233 yards and 1 TD. Over the course of the next two years Marshall recorded 206 rec 2590 yards and 13 TD's. So who made who? Was it Cutler or Marshall? I think Cutler was the reason for Marshall's improvement.

Tony Scheffler who was also drafted in 2006, pre Cutler, he had 6 rec 75 yards and 0 TD's through the first 12 games of the year. When Cutler was inserted into the starting lineup he had 12 rec 249 yards and 5 TD's. After that Tony had 89 rec, 1194 yards, and 8 TDs. The trend continues..

Eddie Royal wasn't a highly regarded receiver coming out of college. Did you expect 91 rec 980 yards and 5 TD's from him in his rookie year? I don't think so. Who was the cause of this? Jay Cutler!

So what can we say about Cutler now? How is he going to improve not only Devin Hester's game but also Earl Bennett, a long time friend and teammate. I hope Cutler shuts up all the national media for saying he made a mistake coming to Chicago. I think he's going to have a helluva year and a great future in Chicago.

At first thought I would say absolutely. But then I started to think and the evidence might tell you a little something about Cutler. Take a look.

Before Cutler came into the starting lineup in 2006, Brandon Marshall had 6 rec 76 yards 1 TD through 12 games. Throughout the final 4 games of the year when Cutler came in, Marshall had 14 rec 233 yards and 1 TD. Over the course of the next two years Marshall recorded 206 rec 2590 yards and 13 TD's. So who made who? Was it Cutler or Marshall? I think Cutler was the reason for Marshall's improvement.

Tony Scheffler who was also drafted in 2006, pre Cutler, he had 6 rec 75 yards and 0 TD's through the first 12 games of the year. When Cutler was inserted into the starting lineup he had 12 rec 249 yards and 5 TD's. After that Tony had 89 rec, 1194 yards, and 8 TDs. The trend continues..

Eddie Royal wasn't a highly regarded receiver coming out of college. Did you expect 91 rec 980 yards and 5 TD's from him in his rookie year? I don't think so. Who was the cause of this? Jay Cutler!

So what can we say about Cutler now? How is he going to improve not only Devin Hester's game but also Earl Bennett, a long time friend and teammate. I hope Cutler shuts up all the national media for saying he made a mistake coming to Chicago. I think he's going to have a helluva year and a great future in Chicago.

Yes

Excellent points! Now maybe some will realize some of my hesitation to give up a first round pick for Boldin. In AZ Warner threw to three WRs for over 1000 yards. Of the three Fitzgerald is the true stud. Boldin is a very good WR and Steve Breaston might have had 600 yards in our offense. The fact Breaston matched Boldin's performance when Boldin went out with injury tells a lot.

Before the trade, I told someone the other day that Scheffler is garbage, just a mid-grade TE at best. He only flourished because of Cutler. The same goes for Eddie Royal. He's a product of surrounding talent more than anything. I will say, however, that Marshall is a great player...and better than anything the Bears have.

It's possible that maybe Cutler made Royal into a WR.

I think the combination of having several weapons made all WRs better off. Culter upgrades the WRs, they still need to have talent. I think the unknown quanity here is his college buddy E. Bennett. He could be a big suprize.

What may be even more amazing is that the Broncos leading rusher last year was Peyton Hillis with 343 yards. They had absolutely no running game and Cutler was still able to put up those numbers. More than likely against a lot of Nickel and Dime coverages.

I think the combination of having several weapons made all WRs better off. Culter upgrades the WRs, they still need to have talent. I think the unknown quanity here is his college buddy E. Bennett. He could be a big suprize.

One other name I haven't heard mentioned is Brandon Rideau. We do still have him around don't we? We have seen him make some pretty ridiculous catches in preseason, and it seems to me that Cutler may just be able to make Rideau look good as well. He is 6'3" 199lbs. That sounds like the same size as several of the prospects we are looking at. We haven't given him much of a chance but that could change.

Chris Mortenson actually made this same point this morning on Erik Kusillias's ESPN radio show. Basically, that sure Brandon Marshall looks like a monster and has been superproductive, but there's a couple guys every year like that who often don't end up doing much of anything. And there are even more who fit the Eddie Royal "type." It's hard to say there is a unique quality that makes you at least conclusively determine that the WRs are independantly better then the QB is making them look.

What may be even more amazing is that the Broncos leading rusher last year was Peyton Hillis with 343 yards. They had absolutely no running game and Cutler was still able to put up those numbers. More than likely against a lot of Nickel and Dime coverages.

They had "Absolutely no running game" except some how they were what, 12th in the league in total rushing yards and near the top of the league averaging about 4.8 yards per carry.

I'm not sure exactly what the reasons were...whether it was the zone blocking scheme they use, or the fact that Cutler was their QB and everyone thought him a bigger threat than their running game, they were able to chew up more yards on the ground than the Bears by quite a bit. It will be interesting to see what happens when you put Cutler with an actual solid RB.

Of course they are. They actually caught the ball. Cutler may be able to get the ball to them but he can't make them actually catch it. Do you remember all the drops last year?

They had "Absolutely no running game" except some how they were what, 12th in the league in total rushing yards and near the top of the league averaging about 4.8 yards per carry.

I'm not sure exactly what the reasons were...whether it was the zone blocking scheme they use, or the fact that Cutler was their QB and everyone thought him a bigger threat than their running game, they were able to chew up more yards on the ground than the Bears by quite a bit. It will be interesting to see what happens when you put Cutler with an actual solid RB.

Cutler had 200 of those yards, and Royal had 109 with a 71 yard reverse. So maybe a better way to put it was a consistent rushing threat. They did it by committee.

Of course they are. They actually caught the ball. Cutler may be able to get the ball to them but he can't make them actually catch it. Do you remember all the drops last year?

Yeah I remember. Even though my thread title is what it is, I know Denver's receivers are better than the Bears but the point I'm making is that I think Cutler had more to do with it than anything, and they have a chance to improve their status as receivers in the league so we aren't talked about as one of the worst WR corp in the NFL. (This excludes Rashied Davis from the conversation because he is actually an awful receiver and should never play the position again.)

I remember.. but I also remember of whole lot of passes thrown at the receivers ankles.. Maybe that's were Cutler is better..at actually giving the WR a chance to catch it...

If I'm not mistaken Cutler more or less stated the Denver didn't have much of a running game last year and it made him realize that you can't get it all done through the air. You know the quote that more or less stated it takes all aspects of the team to win games.

how crazy would it be that we find out this season that all these years we've been changing the tires on a POS car and wondering why we don't get anywhere. We've cycled receiver in and out of this team with almost as much regularity as we have QBs but all the while we haven't really fixed the one position that can make the WR's better or utilize the talent they do have. We complain about drops, and that, but how often have we watched receivers have to break stride, come back, slow down, speed up, or come up with an unbelievable catch because their QB hasn't placed the ball where it should be. I'd venture a guess that that has been the norm as opposed to having our QB hit a receiver in stride where he can actually do something after the catch.

Cutler had 200 of those yards, and Royal had 109 with a 71 yard reverse. So maybe a better way to put it was a consistent rushing threat. They did it by committee.

If you restate that to rushing yards by RBs, they would have ranked around 29th.