Angelo on ESPN1000

ASHKUM BEAR

Jerry was just on the ESPN1000 show and gave a pretty cool interview. He said when he was on the phone w/ Denver that he knew he had to come in big otherwise they would just blow him off and listen to the next offer. He didn't say what the offer intially was, but it was big enough were they didn't field any other calls (GM to GM). They countered back and forth a couple of times before reaching the deal, he said it took about a half hour. He said that Denver had already done there homework on Kyle Orton and liked what they saw in him, so I think Orton was intitially in the deal to start. My guess is maybe we offered 1, 1, and Orton and then Denver countered to 1, 1, 3, and Orton and finished out as 1, 1, 3, Orton and Cutler & 5th.

Also in the interview they brought up Jerry's next move. Jerry said that as of right now they've been working really hard at this deal and trying to solidify the offensive line. He did mention Pace as big addition and that he cleared the physical, and they know he has wear/tear and expect a 70-80% motivated Pace to be a huge addition. Jerry said they have more work to do and brought up WR and defense as the next priorities. ESPN mentioned Holt and he said they will look into all possibilities but they've been working on these past deals first.

One that has me thinking is Jerry stressed the oline and keeping the QB off his back that we may still add a high draft pick at the oline position. WR is going to be high on the list and also some defense.

I think WR and FS are the next two things the Bears address. And given how much they talk about oline, I still expect them to pick up an olineman or two that they like as long-term projects later in the draft. Maybe they draft a guy like Loadholt in the 3rd or 4th who projects to be a potential RT or guard that should steam-roll guys but might not be immediately ready to contribute. I think we'll see the Bears recollect shortly and than get on the horns to see what they could do before the draft. I fully expect another move or two to be made.

Also during the Angelo interview, I forgot to mention, was some information about Earl Bennett.

JA said that there is no concern about Bennett and the presumption of him struggling to learn the playbook. JA said they wanted Bennett to learn all three positons (X,Y,Z). He said if they asked him to just learn 1 spot as a WR, he would of had that down in a breeze as he is very bright/smart. JA said Bennett felt comfortable enough by week 7/8, but they didn't want to rush/push him (which was close to the time Kyle went down).

Now at the start of this season, JA said Bennett knows the whole offense and will play the #2 and slot position, thats were they drafted him to play.