Forte

Ed Hochuli 3:16

I think lost in all this is Matt Forte. He now has a real QB. Look I like Kyle and I wish him all the best in Denver. But Cutler's ypa is almost 8 while Orton's was almost 6. I know Cutler here won't have the weapons but Orton also won't go there and have a Matt Forte. Anyways, I think this opens it up even more for Forte. He now probably won't get as many touches through the air which should give him a rest a bit but a playaction will open it up big time for Cutler, and a draw will open it up big time for Forte.

I just wanted everyone's thoughts on this.

I think lost in all this is Matt Forte. He now has a real QB. Look I like Kyle and I wish him all the best in Denver. But Cutler's ypa is almost 8 while Orton's was almost 6. I know Cutler here won't have the weapons but Orton also won't go there and have a Matt Forte. Anyways, I think this opens it up even more for Forte. He now probably won't get as many touches through the air which should give him a rest a bit but a playaction will open it up big time for Cutler, and a draw will open it up big time for Forte.

I just wanted everyone's thoughts on this.

It will be interesting to see how Forte's ground and air production change. Part of the reason Forte caught so many balls last year was that he was often the checkdown receiver, and when you have a pure pocket passer, he has less time in which to decide the check down. With a more mobile Cutler, I can see him doing a better job of avoiding the rush while keeping his eyes downfield for the receivers (whover they may be) before checking down. Then again, Cutler's agility will let him pull the rush that much farther in for screen passes and such.

I think Forte will have fewer rushes, but a higher YPC resulting in about the same amount of rushing yards. The passing game is going to open up the running lanes for Forte considerably.

Forte will probably have less opportunities in the passing game because Cutler will be hitting his primary targets more often. Which is a good thing. Forte will benefit from not getting worn down so much getting the ball on almost every other play.

I think Forte will have fewer rushes, but a higher YPC resulting in about the same amount of rushing yards. The passing game is going to open up the running lanes for Forte considerably.

Forte will probably have less opportunities in the passing game because Cutler will be hitting his primary targets more often. Which is a good thing. Forte will benefit from not getting worn down so much getting the ball on almost every other play.

That, plus the fact that Turner loves to use the QB to PASS. I'd expect to see alot more passing attempts from our O, and fewer roll-overs when we have third an long. We can now get those done with Cutler back there.

I think Forte gets fewer touches which is a good thing (Makes his career last a little longer) but he still gets about 1300 yards on the ground. Teams won't be able to stack the box this year because Cutler will pick apart the defense with his arm; this is especially helpful against a team like Minnesota who's pass defense is the worst in the NFL. Everyone talks about Green Bay but the Bears had a better record last year with KO, its going to be the same thing next year except we have an easier schedule to deal with. Aaron Rodgers vs Jay Cutler is a toss up, I'll give them that but were still a better team and right now I'd put us ahead of Minnesota too.

Forte will have a pro bowl season next year I can almost guarantee it. His YPC will be better for reasons discussed above and because we will pass more and the focus of a teams defense will be to stop our QB which takes alot of pressure off of Matt. If we just had a Chad Johnson or a great receiver on this team, I would instantly put us atop of the NFC. We have two questions to answer this year.

1. How are receivers going to play with Cutler now as our Quarterback?

2. Can our defense get back to that elite level again?

The one thing I'm skeptical about is our defense. We haven't added anybody and we lost Mike Brown. It would be really great if we could draft a stud LB or Safety that can make a huge impact. I hope Rod Mareneli will help in this area with the defensive line because that would change alot!

If we can answer those to questions and we have a relatively low amount of key injuries this year, we will be in the Superbowl.