Lovie's Year of Validation...

Mongo3451

Over the course of his career in Chicago, Lovie Smith has seen about all that there is to see. He started his career with a lowly team that looked to improve as the season progressed.

Year two, he saw his Bears, lead by a tenacious defense and special teams, beat the packers and make the playoffs, much to the satisfaction of Bear nation.

Year three, the team peaked by winning the division and making it to the Super Bowl using the same formula as the year before and utilizing their new weapon in Devin Hester.

Year four, the Bears were proclaimed to be bulletproof by the collective thoughts of some NFL executives. They were regarded as the only team in the NFL that would win despite it’s QB. But the loss of Thomas Jones in conjunction with the lack of motivation in Cedric Benson saw a dramatic change in our offense. Good Rex/ bad Rex was just simply bad Rex as a result. Also, in the Kevlar year we saw multiple injuries to the strength of our team, the Defense.

So we went into the off-season arguing about QB, RB, OL, defense and Hester. What we found was the offense with Orton and Forte was a pleasant surprise. Even with a crappy OL and no #1 WR. We also found that the Defense and Hester (in the return game) did not live up to expectations. We also found that D Manning is a beast in the kick return game. Through all this we finished 9-7 in a relatively lackluster season and an abysmal final game, in which we could have made the playoffs against an inferior team. This left many, including myself, calling for Lovie’s head. Now we look at the current off-season and the upgrade of our OL and Cutler. We still have major loot to spend under the cap and a free agent WR upgrade is expected. Marinelli and Lovie now control the D and expectations are again high.

Here we are, on the cusp of another season and looking forward to what team Lovie will produce this year. Remember, he started with little and we became a SB team in three years, followed by an injury plagued stinker, followed by a lackluster 9-7. We have seen the best and worst of Lovie. He has taken more control of the team this season to make this year the validation of his tenure. What will the result be?

I think this is Lovie's make or break year. If the Bears get in, he stays. If not, adios. I think they will make the playoffs, too. Cutler makes his team better and with guys like Anderson and Ogunleye going into contract years + Marinelli, the defense will be better. I'll say 11-5. On paper, our schedule looks easy. I know any team can turn into the Falcons of yesteryear but it's not that common. With games like STL, ARZ, CLE, @ CIN, @ SF, @ SEA, and then obviously GB x2, and DET x2, I'll take our chances.

Are you forgetting Arizona was the best team in the NFC last year? San Francisco will be much improved, and at Seattle is always tough, especially now if Jones and Hasselback are healthy. Then both Green Bay and Vikings games will be tough no matter what the records are. Plus, we have to face the Ravens and Steelers.

We have far from an easy schedule.

Agreed...

I've been one of his harsher critics on this board, and I really want nothing else other than for him to learn from his errors and become a great coach. The ball is basically in his court, c'mon Smith! Wake up from hibernation!

I think this is Lovie's make or break year. If the Bears get in, he stays. If not, adios. I think they will make the playoffs, too. Cutler makes his team better and with guys like Anderson and Ogunleye going into contract years + Marinelli, the defense will be better. I'll say 11-5. On paper, our schedule looks easy. I know any team can turn into the Falcons of yesteryear but it's not that common. With games like STL, ARZ, CLE, @ CIN, @ SF, @ SEA, and then obviously GB x2, and DET x2, I'll take our chances.

Are you forgetting Arizona was the best team in the NFC last year? San Francisco will be much improved, and at Seattle is always tough, especially now if Jones and Hasselback are healthy. Then both Green Bay and Vikings games will be tough no matter what the records are. Plus, we have to face the Ravens and Steelers.

We have far from an easy schedule.

I'll take our chances with them coming here in possible cold weather. Plus, the Bears are a great team at home and the Cardinals weren't all that good last year besides the playoffs.

San Francisco hasn't added anyone.

Green Bay is going to suck again this year. They don't exactly have the personel to run their 3-4 just yet so they'll struggle. Also, Jennings still hasn't gotten his extension that he wants.

I know we play PIT and BAL, but every year every team has to play 1 or 2 games against good teams.

I also think you're taking those oppenents too lightly...

Cardianlas are good and can beat the tar out of our secondary right now...

SF will be better by just having more experienece. Granted, I don't think by leaps and bounds. But if we take a team like that lightly, they could very well have a great game and win.

GB is a rival! Never underestimate them!

I'll take our chances with them coming here in possible cold weather. Plus, the Bears are a great team at home and the Cardinals weren't all that good last year besides the playoffs.

Green Bay is going to suck again this year. They don't exactly have the personel to run their 3-4 just yet so they'll struggle. Also, Jennings still hasn't gotten his extension that he wants.

I know we play PIT and BAL, but every year every team has to play 1 or 2 games against good teams.

Still, the Cardinals are a very dangerous team, and with their offense and our D not improving much, this game is far from an easy one.

So, they are still much more improved and they have the draft to add more players. They played a lot better with Singletary calling the shots.

A couple of points... it doesn't really matter who is the better team in these games, it's always a dog fight. Last year the Packers beat the shit out of twice, and in fact, I'm still trying to figure out how we won that 2nd game. We got our dicks kicked in. Also, the Packers aren't a whole lot different now then the Packers of 07. The switch to the 34 can't hurt and if anything, it will improve their offense, and they have an early draft pick. They are a threat next year, and it is being naive to think they aren't.

Cardinals, Steelers, Packers (x2), Vikings (x2), Eagles, 49ers, Seahawks, Ravens, and Falcons are mostly gonna be tougher games and far from sure things. If we lose to anyone, it better be a team on this list. That's 11 games, so if we can go at least 6-5 against these opponents, and win the games we should, we can go 11-5.

We don't have the toughest schedule, but is is far from an easy one.