Williams on move to RT

'TD'

http://www.chicagobears.com/news/NewsStory.asp?story_id=5721

April 9, 2009

Williams doesn't mind making move from left to right tackle

By: Larry Mayer | Last Updated: 4/9/2009 2:01 PM

LAKE FOREST, Ill. – Chris Williams may still be the Bears’ left tackle of the future. But the 2008 first-round draft pick from Vanderbilt is the team’s right tackle of the present.

Williams will flip-flop positions to accommodate the addition of free agent Orlando Pace, a seven-time Pro Bowler who will line up at left tackle after signing a three-year contract with the Bears.

Chris Williams is moving from left tackle to right tackle in his second season with the Bears.

“I don’t care,” Williams said. “I just want to play. You can put me at free safety if you want as long as I’m playing. I’m just excited about getting out there and playing.”

Williams is eager to get on the field after a back injury derailed his rookie season. After missing the first six games while recovering from surgery, the 6-6, 312-pounder made his NFL debut on the extra point and field goal teams last Nov. 2 in a win over the Lions.

Williams then lined up at left tackle for the final five snaps in a blowout loss at Green Bay two weeks later and spent the rest of the season playing as a third tight end in goal-line and short-yardage situations.

Two of the NFL’s best offensive linemen over the past decade—the Ravens’ Jonathan Ogden and the Panthers’ Jordan Gross—both started their careers at right tackle before moving to the left side.

“I played a little bit of everywhere in college,” Williams said. “I played left tackle, right tackle, left guard and some center. It doesn’t matter. It’s all the same when you break it down to fundamentals.”

Williams is ecstatic that the Bears were able to sign Pace.

“It affects the whole team,” Williams said. “Orlando Pace is a one-of-a-kind player who I watched on film since I was in high school. I’m geeked about it. I’m so excited to have a guy like that here. To have him and a guy like Olin [Kreutz], that puts [13] Pro Bowls in our room.”

While Williams is expected to start this season, he will be challenged by free-agent acquisition Kevin Shaffer, a seven-year veteran who started 47 of 48 games the past three seasons with the Cleveland Browns.

Politically speaking: Former Bears linebacker Jim Schwantz on Tuesday was elected mayor of Palatine, a northwest suburb of Chicago. Schwantz reportedly called his win over longtime incumbent Rita Mullins “extremely humbling.”

Schwantz, who grew up in Palatine and attended Fremd High School and Purdue University, appeared in all 16 games with the Bears in 1998, recording a team-high 23 special teams tackles. He has more recently served as a Bears pre-game radio analyst on WBBM 780 AM.

Schwantz entered the NFL as an undrafted free agent with the Bears in 1992. He spent most of his first two seasons on Chicago’s practice squad, but he did appear in the 1992 season finale.

Schwantz played for the Dallas Cowboys from 1994-96, winning a Super Bowl ring in 1995 and getting voted to the Pro Bowl as the NFC’s special teams representative in 1996. He spent one season with the San Francisco 49ers in 1997 before returning for his second tour with the Bears.

Sad news: Former Bears defensive lineman Ken Anderson died last Friday night of a heart attack at age 33. Anderson joined the Bears as an undrafted free agent in 1998. He spent his rookie season on injured reserve with an ankle injury before registering one tackle in two games in 1999.

Another ex-Bears player, Al Campana, died Tuesday from an undisclosed illness. He was 83. Campana played three seasons with the Bears from 1950-52 before concluding his NFL career with the Chicago Cardinals in 1953.

why i say never draft Oline. Supposed to be "pure finesse" LT and were starting orlando pace... hmm

Orlando Pace is like a 7 time all-pro. I'm fine moving our 1st RD pick to the right side and letting him learn from one of the greatest to play that position.

After this move, I myself wish we would have now selected Brandon Albert (KC) who can also play guard, but I'm not upset over the C-Dub pick.

Orlando Pace is like a 7 time all-pro. I'm fine moving our 1st RD pick to the right side and letting him learn from one of the greatest to play that position.

After this move, I myself wish we would have now selected Brandon Albert (KC) who can also play guard, but I'm not upset over the C-Dub pick.

I agree on Albert, just because I thought he was a better talent, among others that were available at the pick. That was reinforced by the fact that Willaims had Chronic back problems and always will. I do have to say tho, I really respect his attitude on the situation. Alot of players could have really been mad over not getting to play the position they have been groomed for for over a year. I also have to really respect Pace now. His calls to Holt, his desire to win, and what he has done since he has been in Chicago shows that he's going to be a great additon in the locker room at the very least. I'm very happy with the line right now. I hope Ominalye, however you spell it, can step up and play a guard. I got faith in Bruennig taking over the other guard position. You can't beat the depth in Garza that has started for the Bears the last few years,Schaffer that has started alot of games over the last 3 years, and the young guys on the team.

If the Bears can get a WR and draft a FS in the second round, I'm looking for the Bears to atleast be in the NFC finals. Anything less and it's going to lie on the the Coaching. THe Defense has talent that hasn't been utilized properly the last 2 years. The line should be solid. The Bears have the QB they wanted. With a WR (Holt or Plaxico), Olsen and Dezzy, and potential in Hester and Bennet they would be set at WR. Forte behind a good will be scary. If the a WR is bought in, then it's all on the coaches if the Bears aren't contenders. JA has brought the team talent, and it is there.

How exactly did StL get Pace. You know. The guy who started for so many years and went to so many pro bowls.

Oh yea. They drafted him.

So StL did well in the draft and had a premeir LT for a decade. We sign him at a point when it was up in the air whether he would play LT or RT, and either way, is likely to only give us a couple years at a diminished level, and you believe our adding an OT in his twighlight years is evidence to not draft OL when the alternative argument is StL?

Nice logic.

why i say never draft Oline. Supposed to be "pure finesse" LT and were starting orlando pace... hmm

How exactly did StL get Pace. You know. The guy who started for so many years and went to so many pro bowls.

So StL did well in the draft and had a premeir LT for a decade. We sign him at a point when it was up in the air whether he would play LT or RT, and either way, is likely to only give us a couple years at a diminished level, and you believe our adding an OT in his twighlight years is evidence to not draft OL when the alternative argument is StL?

Nice logic.

I think it just a matter of experience that we put Pace at Lt and move Williams to RT. Like it was said Pace has a three year contract and I don't think he will be here that long he wants to win another Super Bowl. If we get there or even close he will retire maybe after next year. So that gives Williams playing time on right side before moving to the left. Either way we go if Garza is beaten out we will have a better Oline than last year.

Nice logic.

What did you have to say when we picked up Rueben Brown, he was old and past his prime and probably our best Olineman while he was here. If he plays at 90% he is still probably better than anyone on the team right now. I still hope we draft a OT in the early rounds on the second day but it aint happening with the 2nd round pick. Your exactly right about drafting people and developing them, but everything has changed since we lost our 1st round pick. You got to get off that OL song and dance for this year anyways.

The fact Ruben Brown came in at his age and was our best Olineman didn't say much for the talent he lined up with. Not to diminish what Ruben did here, he played great for us. At some point we have to start plugging in an occasional older vet with some younger studs. That's a plan I can live with rather than relying on the end-of-career vets to be the cornerstone for us.

i'm not so sure putting him in as RT is the best move.

why not next to pace as LG? he should make a good + pulling guard and it gives him experience on the left side next to pace who he can learn the position from. also wasn't our free agent oym (sp)? a projected right tackle?

I think they probably have a better perception of who can play where. I think tackle spots are more similiar than going from tackle to guard. Although if you a good player you should be able to play anywhere on the line except center.

Williams has experience at RT, and said the move isn't that big of a deal. I think he'll be fine in pass protection, far better than what we had last year with Tait. Run blocking I'm not sure about but then again we had no push whatsoever on the right side last year. That shouldn't be hard to match if not improve upon.