Chiefs waived WR Will Franklin

defiantgiant

I haven't seen this mentioned here yet: the Chiefs just put Will Franklin on waivers. Speculation is that he did something to get on the wrong side of the coaching staff, since he's got a fair amount of potential, fits their new offensive scheme well, and is just coming off his rookie season.

I really liked Franklin when he was coming out of Missouri last year. He didn't put up eye-popping numbers at Mizzou, largely because of two good tight ends (Martin Rucker and Chase Coffman) and another wideout you may have heard of: he had to compete for catches with Jeremy Maclin, who's easily a top-15 pick this year. Franklin's career numbers are still pretty decent: 143 receptions for 2125 yards (17.7 YPC) and 13 touchdowns. Here's a video of Franklin at Missouri.

He's got a fantastic size-speed-athleticism combination: at the Combine, he was 6' and 214 pounds and ran a 4.37 in the 40, plus he had a 40.5" vertical and a 10' 11" broad jump.

I'm thinking the Bears should pick him up off waivers and let him compete in camp. He's still a project, but he's only 23 and has way way more potential than Brandon Rideau/Devin Aromashodu/John Broussard, who are our 4-6 receivers right now. Hell, Franklin had 7 catches for 83 yards last season: that's 7 catches and 83 yards more than Earl Bennett. It can't hurt to bring this guy in and see what he can do.

I haven't seen this mentioned here yet: the Chiefs just put Will Franklin on waivers. Speculation is that he did something to get on the wrong side of the coaching staff, since he's got a fair amount of potential, fits their new offensive scheme well, and is just coming off his rookie season.

I really liked Franklin when he was coming out of Missouri last year. He didn't put up eye-popping numbers at Mizzou, largely because of two good tight ends (Martin Rucker and Chase Coffman) and another wideout you may have heard of: he had to compete for catches with Jeremy Maclin, who's easily a top-15 pick this year. Franklin's career numbers are still pretty decent: 143 receptions for 2125 yards (17.7 YPC) and 13 touchdowns. Here's a video of Franklin at Missouri.

He's got a fantastic size-speed-athleticism combination: at the Combine, he was 6' and 214 pounds and ran a 4.37 in the 40, plus he had a 40.5" vertical and a 10' 11" broad jump.

I'm thinking the Bears should pick him up off waivers and let him compete in camp. He's still a project, but he's only 23 and has way way more potential than Brandon Rideau/Devin Aromashodu/John Broussard, who are our 4-6 receivers right now. Hell, Franklin had 7 catches for 83 yards last season: that's 7 catches and 83 yards more than Earl Bennett. It can't hurt to bring this guy in and see what he can do.

The weird thing is why they would wave someone with a fantastic size-speed-athleticism combo. On paper, he looks good, but there has to be more to the story.

The weird thing is why they would wave someone with a fantastic size-speed-athleticism combo. On paper, he looks good, but there has to be more to the story.

Might be a good replacement for Davis. Davis drops alot of balls is 5'9 and not as fast as Franklin. Franklin could be a steal if we did sign him and he gets his head out of the sand. Someone called him a helicopter? He must be able to jump like out of this world.

The weirdest thing to me is that Franklin seems to be a really good fit. Chan Gailey seems like he's good about catering his offense to the pieces he's got: the Chiefs went with that weird Pistol offense because it let Thigpen be way more effective than he could be in a conventional drop-back role. If Kansas City's going to cater to Cassel's strengths, then the Chiefs' offense will need to incorporate a lot of shotgun-spread looks, since Cassel is dramatically better out of the shotgun than he is under center. Franklin's offense in college was a spread-based one pretty similar to what New England was running with Cassel.

The only thing I can think of is that, since the Chiefs drafted Franklin last year, they've signed Mark Bradley and Bobby Engram. Maybe they're trying to stash Franklin on the practice squad while they go forward with Bowe, Bradley, and Engram.