Well so much for Franklin

Wesson44

How exactly do waivers work?

It's like being cut. Guys have to go through waivers before being totally cut. Teams can ask for that player from the waiver wire, the team usually with the worst record will get that player before the team with the better record. Thats why the Lions got him before the Raiders and the Rams.

How exactly do waivers work?

I may be completely wrong, but my understanding is this. If I cut you from my team, the rest of the teams can either claim or waive the right to claim you. If 2 or more teams decide they want to claim you, the guy with the worst record gets you on his team. You'll go there and finish up your contract. If no one claims you, then you can become an unrestricted free agent and sign where ever you want and negotiate a new contract.

I'm sure there is a lot more too it tho.

edit: wess beat me to it.

I may be completely wrong, but my understanding is this. If I cut you from my team, the rest of the teams can either claim or waive the right to claim you. If 2 or more teams decide they want to claim you, the guy with the worst record gets you on his team. You'll go there and finish up your contract. If no one claims you, then you can become an unrestricted free agent and sign where ever you want and negotiate a new contract.

I'm sure there is a lot more too it tho.

edit: wess beat me to it.

Yeah, that's pretty much it. I didn't think there'd be this level of interest in Franklin; the Bears never had a shot at him, judging from the other teams that put in waiver claims. Aside from the Lions, the Raiders, Rams, Colts, and Eagles all put in claims. Given the Lions' depth chart after Megatron, he could probably see the field for them.