WR or FS in the 2nd?

nfoligno

Personally, I am a big fan of Rashad Johnson, and would like him over numerous WRs talked about in the 2nd. I would take Nicks and Robiskie over him, but honestly, I would rather have RJ over Harvin, Britt, Mossaquoi, Iglesias or anyone else I am forgetting.

The reason we'll likely have to grab a WR with our 2nd Rd pick is because our 3rd Rd pick is basically the first pick in the 4th Rd. Secondly, over his career JA has continually found DB talent later in the draft and I have no reason to think he'll do anything differently this year. Especially given the not so great FS prospects at the top of the list. Is the 8th best WR better rated than the 2nd or 3rd best FS? That just might be how it is on our draft board.

Personally, I am a big fan of Rashad Johnson, and would like him over numerous WRs talked about in the 2nd. I would take Nicks and Robiskie over him, but honestly, I would rather have RJ over Harvin, Britt, Mossaquoi, Iglesias or anyone else I am forgetting.

I like the way Johnson plays centerfield but banking a guy who played safety last year at 185-190lbs doesn't seem like a long term solution to me. Typically smaller guys like this drop a bit relative to their numbers although some might say he is by ending up in the 2nd Rd. I won't be upset at all if we take him, we've needed a true ball hawk at FS for the last few seasons and I like his leadership. Regardless, based on his history I've just convinced myself that JA will pick up his FS in Rd 3 or 4.

First, let me say, I agree we will go WR in the 2nd, and then FS in the 3rd or 4th.

But regarding Johnson and his weight, I would say this. Players often face weight changes moving from offense to defense. But in the NFL, players move under the guidance of professional nutritionists and weight trainers. From what I read, Johnson has already said he has been working w/ a nutritionist to improve his weight.

I think he played at 200lbs early on, but as w/ all players, lost weight as the season went on, and played closer to 185 by the end. But get him under a solid program, and I think his weight can not only increase, but he can do a better job maintaining that weight.

I know weight is in fact an issue and concern, but at the same time, there is simply too much I like about RJ. Further, I believe that while his weight is an issue, as a 2nd round pick, the risk/reward is right.

I like the way Johnson plays centerfield but banking a guy who played safety last year at 185-190lbs doesn't seem like a long term solution to me. Typically smaller guys like this drop a bit relative to their numbers although some might say he is by ending up in the 2nd Rd. I won't be upset at all if we take him, we've needed a true ball hawk at FS for the last few seasons and I like his leadership. Regardless, based on his history I've just convinced myself that JA will pick up his FS in Rd 3 or 4.

First, let me say, I agree we will go WR in the 2nd, and then FS in the 3rd or 4th.

But regarding Johnson and his weight, I would say this. Players often face weight changes moving from offense to defense. But in the NFL, players move under the guidance of professional nutritionists and weight trainers. From what I read, Johnson has already said he has been working w/ a nutritionist to improve his weight.

I think he played at 200lbs early on, but as w/ all players, lost weight as the season went on, and played closer to 185 by the end. But get him under a solid program, and I think his weight can not only increase, but he can do a better job maintaining that weight.

I know weight is in fact an issue and concern, but at the same time, there is simply too much I like about RJ. Further, I believe that while his weight is an issue, as a 2nd round pick, the risk/reward is right.

I think RJ is an Mike Brown type in that he is a playmaker and has football smarts. He didnt seem to have any injury issues in college, so he would be a great pick at the 49th spot. Also he is a valve pick at that spot, unless a top 6 WR drops to us at that point. It will be a tough decision but think they view the WR position deeper and go FS.

I think RJ is an Mike Brown type in that he is a playmaker and has football smarts. He didnt seem to have any injury issues in college, so he would be a great pick at the 49th spot. Also he is a valve pick at that spot, unless a top 6 WR drops to us at that point. It will be a tough decision but think they view the WR position deeper and go FS.

Yesterday I scanned 10 different mock drafts from various sites and while it's not a scientific approach, in none of those drafts did RJ get chosen at or before #49. In some he got chosen as late at 77. I'm sure there are mocks out there showing him up there but on average it appears he's rated lower than that. At CBS sports he's rated the 80th best player in the draft.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospec...mp;start_row=51

While he could be our selection at #49 I don't perceive him as a value pick there.