Post-Draft Additions?

dawhizz

Now that the draft is over, do the Bears make any free agent moves? Any guys on other teams at QB or WR in danger of being cut because of the additions made by their teams? I was thinking maybe Josh Johnson would be the odd man out in Tampa Bay, but it may end up being Griese. The Giants, Dolphins, Jaguars, and Browns all made a couple of early picks at WR, but it's hard to imagine the Bears wanting any of the guys who would get cut (with the possible exception of Ernest Wilford in Miami). I can't help but think with so many young WRs on this roster, and such a young offense in general, you need a strong veteran presence to help move them along. The only veteran offensive skill player at the moment is Desmond Clark, and he's not even a starter. Even with three WRs drafted, I think you need to take a long look at guys like Joe Jurevicious, Amani Toomer, Darrell Jackson, and even Marvin Harrison.

Now that the draft is over, do the Bears make any free agent moves? Any guys on other teams at QB or WR in danger of being cut because of the additions made by their teams? I was thinking maybe Josh Johnson would be the odd man out in Tampa Bay, but it may end up being Griese. The Giants, Dolphins, Jaguars, and Browns all made a couple of early picks at WR, but it's hard to imagine the Bears wanting any of the guys who would get cut (with the possible exception of Ernest Wilford in Miami). I can't help but think with so many young WRs on this roster, and such a young offense in general, you need a strong veteran presence to help move them along. The only veteran offensive skill player at the moment is Desmond Clark, and he's not even a starter. Even with three WRs drafted, I think you need to take a long look at guys like Joe Jurevicious, Amani Toomer, Darrell Jackson, and even Marvin Harrison.

I doubt if we grab anybody unless the 3 we picked up look real bad in the training camp time. Your right that would help with veteran player, but only on preseason cuts after some draft choices fall on there face. Do you think we can line up a trade for a FS after teams line up there teams, like we did with Oguly? That is a possible senerio.

I find that surprising. I like the 3 WR we picked up but it's too much to count on all of them panning out.

Angelo is obviously looking to add a legitimate #1 WR with experience but after ARI refused to trade Boldin to the Bears, there are no other players who fit this role available. That does not mean that if the opportunity presented itself in the next 3 months leading up to Camp, he would not go for it. Current lists of available WRs are littered with #2s & #3s.

Will B Edwards become available after the Browns drafted 2 WRs high in the draft? Will there be any other surprises up JA's sleeve before Camp? Could be very interesting indeed.

I doubt if we grab anybody unless the 3 we picked up look real bad in the training camp time. Your right that would help with veteran player, but only on preseason cuts after some draft choices fall on there face. Do you think we can line up a trade for a FS after teams line up there teams, like we did with Oguly? That is a possible senerio.

Cutler did pretty well last year with some young WR's and no DEF!

So I think unless a veteran comes available that we can not pass up we will stay with the group we have right now - hopefully a few of the rooks will step up. But I would not rule out a trade: Keep and eye on either Boldin or Edwards to see if they continue to be a problem for the respective teams.

If Boldin becomes a big problem for the Cards his trade value (and hence his future contract value) keeps dropping. He and Rosenass need to go back and review the situation and perhaps try a different approach....like dropping the salary demand. Boldin would be best served if he just played this year at $5mil and then pursued his big deal but he's greedy.

As for safety, I'm convinced we'll find our answer with one of our cornerbacks. We've already talked about moving Zack Bowman. Currently at CB:

CB #1: Peanut--Solid as hell. We said we won't move him & I believe that.

CB #2: Corey Graham--I rarely heard his name when he was starting. That's good. I can't see him losing the job.

Nickel: Dannieal Manning--He excelled at this position and he sucks at safety.

That leaves:

Nathan Vasher--We ain't paying him 5 million not to show up

DJ Moore--He's a football player. Who cares if he's short & slow.

Trumaine McBride--Luckily for him he's good on special teams.

We have way more talent at CB then at safety. Somebody needs to move.

The fact that we didn't sign a FA QB makes me think we'll sign a veteran. That's a necessity IMO. True Cutler never misses games, but neither did Tom Brady. I know a lot of you are Hanie fans but I thought the medicine woman was a great pick-up and a nice #2 . .. .

Olsen and Forte are both veteran skill players - and very good ones.

I agree with Pix. Angelo is looking for a #1, not a 2 or 3. We may have to see what we have on the roster and wait until next yr to get a #1 if necessary.

Peace :dabears