Draft Day Trades Complete Cutler Trade

adam

So here it is:

Bears get:

Jay Cutler, Johnny Knox - WR

Broncos get:

Kyle Orton, Robert Ayers - DE, Richard Quinn - TE (for picks #79 & #84), Alphonso Smith - CB (for 1st Round pick in 2010)

Steelers get:

Kraig Urbik - OL, Mike Wallace - WR (both picks for pick #64)

Seahawks get:

Bears #1 pick in 2010 (for pick #37)

It seems that Denver had a chance to come out pretty good with the original trade. However, trading away a first rounder for A. Smith was a pretty big reach. Then trading picks #79 and #84 to grab Quinn was also pretty questionable. Seattle and Pittsburgh both made out pretty good.

To be fair you can only include Denver vs. Chicago. What other teams did with their picks from trades is irrelevant to how the two key teams ended up with in the trade. I think Denver did ok in the draft but considering what they gave up to get I'd say they totally messed up this year's draft, and now next years draft too.

I like Ayers and Smith but I don't see where either is going to be an elite player. The TE, he'll just be another guy nobody outside Denver knows about. Orton is a good QB and will continue to be just a good QB. IMO to make this deal worthwhile they had to come out of it with at least one elite player and they had two years to pull that off. Of the players they added with our picks I'd say Ayers is most likely to get there but I just don't see it.

Advantage: Bears. We got an elite player at the toughest position to find an elite player.