Thoughts on our picks

nfoligno

First, on Melton, I just do not understand why everything thinks of him, and compares him to, pass rushers.

If anyone wants a player to compare or think about, how about Alex Brown. Did you know the two are identical in size? Both were considered elite in terms of athletic talent leading up to the draft. Brown fell due, in large part, to questions of desire and committment, not to mention attitude. Melton fell due to being raw and a lack of production. But in terms of style, I personally see similarities.

For all the perception, Brown really isn't much in tems of pass rush. He has a couple good games a year where he ups his sack totals, but those players are not the standard. Brown is actually, despite his size, a pretty dang good run defender. His athleticism does not seem to translate to the pass rush, but he does use his athleticism well to stop the run. I would say that is similar to Melton, who was actually pretty decent against the run (Texas as a whole was very good against the run) but against the pass, he was dang near absent. He has a solid lower base and power in his lower body, which helps in levelege and run defense, but the athleticism simply does not translate to pass rush.

If Melton developed in Alex Brown, I think everyone here would be happy. I personally don't think that will happen, but just saying. My thing is, I just don't understand why everything thinks of him as a pass rusher. Michael Johnson was considered a raw talent, but when on the field, the one area he looked great was rushing the passer. Melton? He just never looked good rushing the passer.

Agreed many on the staff should be on notice.

IMHO, Drake should already be gone, but agreed that w/ 3 rookie WRs, as well as still young and developing WRs in Hester and Bennett, Drake has a lot of colors to work w/, but needs to prove he can paint the picture, rather than continue w/ the finger paint job he has been doing.

Lets see. Turner now has a franchise QB, much improved OL, upper tier RB, loads of young talent at WR, and an upper tier TE duo. I am not going to say he has to get our offense into the top 10 instantly, as it may take some time w/ so many new pieces, but our offense needs to be pretty damn good, or we need to find an OC who can make the offense look good.

Marinelli - Not sure he is as on the spotlight. But agree Lovie sure is.

The thing is with Melton is he has all the atributes of a big time pass rusher. The speed, the quickness, the firs step, but he hasnt did it yet. He changed positions in college and didnt start till the 3rd game of his senior year. With coaching he may turn into somebody, but didnt have production in college due to his inexperience. If you read some of the experts and how they rate our draft, some concider him nothing and some think he could be the bomb.

We will just have to see how it turns out.

First, on Melton, I just do not understand why everything thinks of him, and compares him to, pass rushers.

If anyone wants a player to compare or think about, how about Alex Brown. Did you know the two are identical in size? Both were considered elite in terms of athletic talent leading up to the draft. Brown fell due, in large part, to questions of desire and committment, not to mention attitude. Melton fell due to being raw and a lack of production. But in terms of style, I personally see similarities.

For all the perception, Brown really isn't much in tems of pass rush. He has a couple good games a year where he ups his sack totals, but those players are not the standard. Brown is actually, despite his size, a pretty dang good run defender. His athleticism does not seem to translate to the pass rush, but he does use his athleticism well to stop the run. I would say that is similar to Melton, who was actually pretty decent against the run (Texas as a whole was very good against the run) but against the pass, he was dang near absent. He has a solid lower base and power in his lower body, which helps in levelege and run defense, but the athleticism simply does not translate to pass rush.

If Melton developed in Alex Brown, I think everyone here would be happy. I personally don't think that will happen, but just saying. My thing is, I just don't understand why everything thinks of him as a pass rusher. Michael Johnson was considered a raw talent, but when on the field, the one area he looked great was rushing the passer. Melton? He just never looked good rushing the passer.

Agreed many on the staff should be on notice.

IMHO, Drake should already be gone, but agreed that w/ 3 rookie WRs, as well as still young and developing WRs in Hester and Bennett, Drake has a lot of colors to work w/, but needs to prove he can paint the picture, rather than continue w/ the finger paint job he has been doing.

Lets see. Turner now has a franchise QB, much improved OL, upper tier RB, loads of young talent at WR, and an upper tier TE duo. I am not going to say he has to get our offense into the top 10 instantly, as it may take some time w/ so many new pieces, but our offense needs to be pretty damn good, or we need to find an OC who can make the offense look good.

Marinelli - Not sure he is as on the spotlight. But agree Lovie sure is.

I have to disagree about your thoughts about Alex Brown. Coming out of Florida Alex Brown was a great pass rusher and was considered lacks in the run game. I can remember watching him wearing number 13 constantly staying in the backfield. I you are comparing him to Brown now you get no arguement out of me. Brown was an all SEC player and Melton is strictly a project and I can't really compare him to any current NFL player who scored touchdowns his first two years at college and then went to defensive end.

While I think there are overall similarities, yes, I am thinking of Brown "now" when factoring what I consider Melton to be.

While Brown was thought to be more of a pass rusher, I just do not believe he has even been more than average in that regard. On the other hand, he has been surprisingly effective in terms of run defense.

Melton is considered by so many a pass rusher, but IMHO. his future, if he develops, is more similar to Brown. Good in run defense, but never more than average in terms of pass rush.

I have to disagree about your thoughts about Alex Brown. Coming out of Florida Alex Brown was a great pass rusher and was considered lacks in the run game. I can remember watching him wearing number 13 constantly staying in the backfield. I you are comparing him to Brown now you get no arguement out of me. Brown was an all SEC player and Melton is strictly a project and I can't really compare him to any current NFL player who scored touchdowns his first two years at college and then went to defensive end.

I COULD NOT AGREE MORE!

I don't really disagree with you much. This has been a hell of an offseason for us. If we don't make the playoffs this year, I'd be willing to bet we'll be looking for a new coach next year. Jerry Angelo has done his work this offseason, it's time for Lovie to produce.

I did not know this until reading it on talk chalk let

s hope history repeats itself often, very often!

http://www.chicagobears.com/index.html

Bears fourth-round pick D.J. Moore, a cornerback from Vanderbilt, intercepted a Matthew Stafford pass last Oct. 18 at Georgia. (It’s the second play on Moore’s highlights on our Web site.) Stafford fakes a handoff to the left, rolls to his right and launches the ball deep down the sideline. Running stride-for-stride with receiver Mohamed Massaquoi, Moore leaps high into the air to pick off the pass at Vanderbilt’s 2-yard line. Moore picked off six passes as both a junior in 2007 and a senior in 2008.

This could also be why we did not draft MM when he was there at #49!

Overall, I think this was a great draft. I would give it a B+ grade, which jumps up to an A+++++ when Cutler is factored.

Agreed on a great draft! Sorry, to rehash an old post, but I've been on vacation. The only thing I really wanted and didn't get out of this draft was Fiametta. I can't believe he went in the 4th round. I'll give this draft an A- with Cutler factored in. The +'s would be flying with a road grater fullback. Never know, maybe Melton's the guy.

Running stride-for-stride with receiver Mohamed Massaquoi, Moore leaps high into the air to pick off the pass at Vanderbilt’s 2-yard line. Moore picked off six passes as both a junior in 2007 and a senior in 2008.

This could also be why we did not draft MM when he was there at #49!

Watching the video, I'm a lot less worried about Moore's height. That was really a jump-ball from Stafford: Moore was right in step with Massaquoi and had to go up high and fight him for the ball. Massaquoi's a legit 6'2" and has a pretty decent vertical leap (36.5") to boot. If Moore can go up over a guy Massaquoi's size, he's not going to have a problem covering most receivers in the NFL. Maybe don't man him up on Calvin Johnson or anything, but he'll be able to cover most NFL wideouts.