Retired number?

madlithuanian

lemonej brought up an interesting point during the post on the new rookies' numbers and Moore having Mike Brown's old number. And then mentioned other instances in the past...

I have no problem with it. However, my thought is that if the players' number in question is in the HoF, we should retire that jersey! Ie. 99 needs to be retired NOW!

lemonej brought up an interesting point during the post on the new rookies' numbers and Moore having Mike Brown's old number. And then mentioned other instances in the past...

I have no problem with it. However, my thought is that if the players' number in question is in the HoF, we should retire that jersey! Ie. 99 needs to be retired NOW!

The only problem I see is that with all the players makingt the HOF and getting their numbers retired...in the future what numbers are you going to use? Like the Bears are leading the NFL with numbers retired, 3,5,7,28,34,40,41,42,50,51,56.66,77....did I miss any?

The only problem I see is that with all the players makingt the HOF and getting their numbers retired...in the future what numbers are you going to use? Like the Bears are leading the NFL with numbers retired, 3,5,7,28,34,40,41,42,50,51,56.66,77....did I miss any?

I recall reading somewhere that the Bears have reached the League limit for retiring numbers. While Brown had a great career with us, I really don't think his number should be retired.

I do not believe there is a league limit. Here is the current list:

Number Player Years as Bear

3 Bronko Nagurski 1930-7, 1943

5 George McAfee 1940-1, '45-50

7 George Halas 1920-1928

28 Willie Galimore 1957-1963

34 Walter Payton 1975-1987

40 Gale Sayers 1965-1971

41 Brian Piccolo 1966-1969

42 Sid Luckman 1939-1950

51 Dick Butkus 1965-1973

56 Bill Hewitt 1932-1936

61 Bill George 1952-1965

66 Clyde "Bulldog" Turner 1940-1952

77 Harold "Red" Grange 1925, 1929-34

50 is not retired for Singletary but no one has worn it for at least 10 yrs. Besides Hampton (99), you would also need to consider Ditka (89).

Peace :dabears

With none retired over 77, you would think they would be able to retire Ditka's and Hampton's pretty easily.

I think they should also remove the restriction on which players wear which set of numbers, or at least make it less restrictive.

I think I've got a really good idea.

How about a system where only guys in their first year (two if necessary) not drafted in the first round can wear the retired numbers, then the rookie/sophmore has to switch numbers if one is available and let a new rookie use the number. I know it sounds counterintuitive, but bear with me.

--It almost guarantees that no other player will be remembered for that number other than the retiree.

--It means that it will become common knowledge among fans that the rooks wear the numbers of the greats, sort of like an adverstisement for the great players until the rooks have proven they can become NFL'ers in their own right, and the yearly fan conversation of "which Bear great is that rookie wearing?" would become a training camp staple, keeping our older players relevant.

--The rookies would be indoctrined into Bear lore in a more personal way than what we have now. Can you imagine joining the Chicago Bears as a rookie, putting on #51, and not feeling a pride that would drive you to succeed.

--Importantly, it would free up all those numbers so that first two year guys aren't taking up numbers that veterans could have.

In 10-15 years, Hester (maybe), Forte (maybe), Cutler (maybe), Briggs (maybe), Kreutz (probably), and Urlacher (probably) all could have 23, 22, 6, 55, 57, and 54 respectively, retired.

I hope your right but I highly doubt it.

1 or 2 "might" make it to the HOF, but a lot of good years will need to be racked up before one could say that. I do not even think Briggs, Kruetz, or Urlacher at this point deserves HOF honors until they end their careers on an up note and win a SB to boot. To reach the status of a retired number, that will be harder to obtain than the HOF with the Bears.

ACK!! Please forgive me! 89 Should have been retired eons ago as well!

I say 50, 89 and 99 need to be hung up!

I do not believe there is a league limit. Here is the current list:

Number Player Years as Bear

3 Bronko Nagurski 1930-7, 1943

5 George McAfee 1940-1, '45-50

7 George Halas 1920-1928

28 Willie Galimore 1957-1963

34 Walter Payton 1975-1987

40 Gale Sayers 1965-1971

41 Brian Piccolo 1966-1969

42 Sid Luckman 1939-1950

51 Dick Butkus 1965-1973

56 Bill Hewitt 1932-1936

61 Bill George 1952-1965

66 Clyde "Bulldog" Turner 1940-1952

77 Harold "Red" Grange 1925, 1929-34

50 is not retired for Singletary but no one has worn it for at least 10 yrs. Besides Hampton (99), you would also need to consider Ditka (89).

Peace :dabears

I hope your right but I highly doubt it.

1 or 2 "might" make it to the HOF, but a lot of good years will need to be racked up before one could say that. I do not even think Briggs, Kruetz, or Urlacher at this point deserves HOF honors until they end their careers on an up note and win a SB to boot. To reach the status of a retired number, that will be harder to obtain than the HOF with the Bears.

Kreutz and Urlacher are HOF'ers right now, IMO.

Kreutz and Urlacher are HOF'ers right now, IMO.

I disagree on both these guys when I compare them to recent HOFs at their positions.

The last two centers in the HOF If I recall correctly are Bruce Matthews the all evereything O-linemen who made all pro at three line positions and Mike Webster from that great Steelers team of the 70's. Kreutz is not in that class. The guy who made it previous to those two was Dwight Stevenson who had a very short career but was regard as one of the best to ever play at the position. Thats not Kreutz either. I also can compare him to Bears' HOF center who back in the 50's and 60's Mike Pyle who also was one of the best to play the position. Kreutz doesn't measure up to him. A guy who I thought deserved some consideration and compares favorable to Kreutz is former Bear Jay Hilgenberg good solid career made all pro and a few pro bowls but is not in the HOF. Lets face it OL get the shaft when it comes to being considered and centers seemed to be the lowest in that regard.

As for Urlacher, think of all the guys that made it to the HOF at MLB Butkus, Huff, Nitchske(sp?),Lanier,Lambert,Singletary and more recently Harry Carson(who I was not so sold on his selection) all have championship rings except for Butkus who was a beast. Currently the only sure 1st ballot HOF MLB is Ray Lewis and Urlacher will have to step up and play like he did earlier in his career or he can join the Mike Luccis and Hardy Nickersons of the game having good but not HOF careers.

I agree on Kruetz and mostly on Urlacher. But let's not forget Andre Tippet just got in. Dude was good, but in my honest opinion, not HoF good. So, I think Urlacher compares to him a bit. I also think if Url puts in 3-5 more years as mentioned, maybe another SB run, and at least one more kick ass year, he could get there. Name recognition is a huge factor don't forget. Mix in his position, his stats, the team he plays for, etc...and it could make a case of HoF entry. But not yet...

I disagree on both these guys when I compare them to recent HOFs at their positions.

The last two centers in the HOF If I recall correctly are Bruce Matthews the all evereything O-linemen who made all pro at three line positions and Mike Webster from that great Steelers team of the 70's. Kreutz is not in that class. The guy who made it previous to those two was Dwight Stevenson who had a very short career but was regard as one of the best to ever play at the position. Thats not Kreutz either. I also can compare him to Bears' HOF center who back in the 50's and 60's Mike Pyle who also was one of the best to play the position. Kreutz doesn't measure up to him. A guy who I thought deserved some consideration and compares favorable to Kreutz is former Bear Jay Hilgenberg good solid career made all pro and a few pro bowls but is not in the HOF. Lets face it OL get the shaft when it comes to being considered and centers seemed to be the lowest in that regard.

As for Urlacher, think of all the guys that made it to the HOF at MLB Butkus, Huff, Nitchske(sp?),Lanier,Lambert,Singletary and more recently Harry Carson(who I was not so sold on his selection) all have championship rings except for Butkus who was a beast. Currently the only sure 1st ballot HOF MLB is Ray Lewis and Urlacher will have to step up and play like he did earlier in his career or he can join the Mike Luccis and Hardy Nickersons of the game having good but not HOF careers.