Simeon Rice Still Wants To Play Football

Wesson44

Posted by Mike Florio on May 5, 2009, 5:52 a.m.

Former NFL defensive end Simeon Rice still wants to be something other than a former NFL defensive end.

After being out of the game for an entire season, Rice still wants to play.

In a recent interview with WQYK radio in Tampa, Rice asserts that he can still get it done.

“Right now, if I was to put on a helmet, I’m automatically in the top five in this league at that spot,” Rice said.

“I want to say I’m the number one guy, I’m the king, baby. But I’m not gonna say that because that’s always an earned spot. So I’m humble enough to say, ‘You know what? I gotta go back and do my work.’”

Rice said that he called new Bucs coach Raheem Morris about rejoining the team. Rice said that other teams, including the Bears are interested.

He also said that he’s not doing it for money. “My motivation is going out there on top,” Rice said. “Going out there claiming my crown back and saying ‘OK, I reign supreme.’”

Rice said that his play diminished only because he was injured. “I was a different person,” he said. “I was running around with one arm on the field.”

He only wants a workout, not to be signed. And he thinks something could happen fairly soon.

But he said that it won’t be with the Bucs. And it won’t be with a league other than the NFL.

“I’m desperate,” he said. “But I ain’t that desperate.”

Posted by Mike Florio on May 5, 2009, 5:52 a.m.

Former NFL defensive end Simeon Rice still wants to be something other than a former NFL defensive end.

After being out of the game for an entire season, Rice still wants to play.

In a recent interview with WQYK radio in Tampa, Rice asserts that he can still get it done.

“Right now, if I was to put on a helmet, I’m automatically in the top five in this league at that spot,” Rice said.

“I want to say I’m the number one guy, I’m the king, baby. But I’m not gonna say that because that’s always an earned spot. So I’m humble enough to say, ‘You know what? I gotta go back and do my work.’”

Rice said that he called new Bucs coach Raheem Morris about rejoining the team. Rice said that other teams, including the Bears are interested.

He also said that he’s not doing it for money. “My motivation is going out there on top,” Rice said. “Going out there claiming my crown back and saying ‘OK, I reign supreme.’”

Rice said that his play diminished only because he was injured. “I was a different person,” he said. “I was running around with one arm on the field.”

He only wants a workout, not to be signed. And he thinks something could happen fairly soon.

But he said that it won’t be with the Bucs. And it won’t be with a league other than the NFL.

“I’m desperate,” he said. “But I ain’t that desperate.”

Not sure if he will have anything left but best of luck to him.

Peace :dabears

If we can get him on the cheap, he may have a lot to prove...and he's part of the Marinelli/Smith connection. Plus he's a local guy too...

Why not...

Well he looked in great shape on Pros vs Joes. He demoralized the the joe badly. If he still can come in third down and rush the QB I say sign him.

Rice was a beast on Tampa's line, but his last productive season was 2005. Even if he does have something left in the tank and his shoulder is finally better, there wouldn't be room to get him any playing time. We've got five ends on the roster (Wale, Brown, Anderson, Idonije, and Melton) and a tackle (Gilbert) who's probably going to rotate outside on some downs. That's twice as many guys fighting for playing time as we had last season, and at least three of them really need the snaps for their development. I don't see the Bears shorting any of the young players currently on the roster in favor of a 35-year-old pass-rusher.

Could he not help teach some of these young kids the ropes? It's not like our group was tearing it up last season...

Rice was a beast on Tampa's line, but his last productive season was 2005. Even if he does have something left in the tank and his shoulder is finally better, there wouldn't be room to get him any playing time. We've got five ends on the roster (Wale, Brown, Anderson, Idonije, and Melton) and a tackle (Gilbert) who's probably going to rotate outside on some downs. That's twice as many guys fighting for playing time as we had last season, and at least three of them really need the snaps for their development. I don't see the Bears shorting any of the young players currently on the roster in favor of a 35-year-old pass-rusher.

Could he not help teach some of these young kids the ropes? It's not like our group was tearing it up last season...

Do the Bears have the roster spots to keep both him and the new draftees around? It's not worth signing him if it costs you one of the guys you just drafted or one of the other guys like Anderson or Dusty.

Oh, I'm not saying he couldn't. If he wanted to come in as an assistant d-line coach or something and work with Marinelli, that would be cool. If he's trying to play, though, I can't see the Bears being able to justify a roster spot for him. They carried 9-10 d-linemen last season, and they've already got 10 on the roster who I think they have to keep: Harris, Harrison, Gilbert, Adams, and Toeaina at tackle, plus Wale, Brown, Anderson, Idonije, and Melton at end. If we added an 11th d-lineman, Rice, we'd have to start carrying less depth at other positions. We're already likely to carry an extra offensive lineman this season - add a player on the d-line, too, and you could potentially create a serious depth problem somewhere else.

Until the last rounds of cuts, I think there's roster room. If he's not cutting it, cut him. It all depends on the $ he's asking for...

What if he's leaps and bounds better than Wale?

Do the Bears have the roster spots to keep both him and the new draftees around? It's not worth signing him if it costs you one of the guys you just drafted or one of the other guys like Anderson or Dusty.

I hear ya. I guess my thought is we have a boat load of cap space, why not see if he can be had for small $, and if he needs to be cut before final cuts at the onset of the season, then cut him. But what if he's better than Wale?

Oh, I'm not saying he couldn't. If he wanted to come in as an assistant d-line coach or something and work with Marinelli, that would be cool. If he's trying to play, though, I can't see the Bears being able to justify a roster spot for him. They carried 9-10 d-linemen last season, and they've already got 10 on the roster who I think they have to keep: Harris, Harrison, Gilbert, Adams, and Toeaina at tackle, plus Wale, Brown, Anderson, Idonije, and Melton at end. If we added an 11th d-lineman, Rice, we'd have to start carrying less depth at other positions. We're already likely to carry an extra offensive lineman this season - add a player on the d-line, too, and you could potentially create a serious depth problem somewhere else.

I don't know about that "boat load of cap space" at this point. Sure, we may technically have a big chunk of space on the books, but how much do you think is reserved for Cutler? He is going to get a very big payday. Also, not sure where we are (not counting Cutler) after all the FA signings. Not saying we signed any huge deals, but w/ the addition of 3 to the OL, and some other "extras" adding into the mix, I just do not know where we are in terms of cap anymore. But where ever we are, I think we are likely holding back a ton of space for Cutler.

Back to Rice, i would just take a pass.

One. Rice is a well known name, and the idea of adding such a player often gets big play for fans, but how often do players in such a situation actually do anything worth a jack? Most often, players who retire should just stay retired.

Two. I personally have some fairly high hopes for Anderson, and while I have minimal hopes for Melton, I do think we need to let Marinelli have time to work with him.

Three. As for Rice being better than Wale, I am just not seeing it. For one thing, Rice was a more pure RDE, and toward the end, I thought he was dreadful in run defense, making a move to LDE even more questionable. Second, while Wale didn't have a great season, I just think it a reach to think a player coming out of retirement will be better.

If we want to look at veterans, consider WR, FS and even OL. I just don't see the value in looking at a player like Rice.

I hear ya. I guess my thought is we have a boat load of cap space, why not see if he can be had for small $, and if he needs to be cut before final cuts at the onset of the season, then cut him. But what if he's better than Wale?

Are we going to up Cutler's contract this year? I really don't think so. Maybe we do. Even if we do, I'm sure there will still be enough space to sign an aging player looking to prove himself.

Do I really want him? Not particularly. But it's worth looking into I feel. Just to discount the guy and age, etc I think is a mistake. Do I think he's better than Wale? He was. Not sure he is now, but it'd be interesting to see it play out.

It's apparentl Smith and JA are desperate to fix the DL. Nothing they do in that area would surprise me.

I don't know about that "boat load of cap space" at this point. Sure, we may technically have a big chunk of space on the books, but how much do you think is reserved for Cutler? He is going to get a very big payday. Also, not sure where we are (not counting Cutler) after all the FA signings. Not saying we signed any huge deals, but w/ the addition of 3 to the OL, and some other "extras" adding into the mix, I just do not know where we are in terms of cap anymore. But where ever we are, I think we are likely holding back a ton of space for Cutler.

Back to Rice, i would just take a pass.

One. Rice is a well known name, and the idea of adding such a player often gets big play for fans, but how often do players in such a situation actually do anything worth a jack? Most often, players who retire should just stay retired.

Two. I personally have some fairly high hopes for Anderson, and while I have minimal hopes for Melton, I do think we need to let Marinelli have time to work with him.

Three. As for Rice being better than Wale, I am just not seeing it. For one thing, Rice was a more pure RDE, and toward the end, I thought he was dreadful in run defense, making a move to LDE even more questionable. Second, while Wale didn't have a great season, I just think it a reach to think a player coming out of retirement will be better.

If we want to look at veterans, consider WR, FS and even OL. I just don't see the value in looking at a player like Rice.

If he can compete and has a minumum + incintives contract, I don't see where it would hurt. He would valuable insurance in case of injury and could prove to be a great situational player and un-official sideline coach. If he doesn't have anything left - cut him.

On the Bears site, JA shot this down, basically saying he is not interested no matter how much he respects Simeon. I just don't see it happening, though JA has surprised me enough this off season that I wouldn't be too shocked to see him end up here.

At this point I think it's dead based on the comments...

On the Bears site, JA shot this down, basically saying he is not interested no matter how much he respects Simeon. I just don't see it happening, though JA has surprised me enough this off season that I wouldn't be too shocked to see him end up here.

At this point I think it's dead based on the comments...

I agree and when he was asked directly he said," We probably wouldn't pursue Simeon at this time." At his best Rice was one dimensional and that spells Mark Anderson to me who is younger and playing for a new contract. I also think its a little creepy the way Simeon Rice talks about himself in the third person