Super Hero??

Wesson44

Simeon Rice Says He’s A “Super Hero With No One To Save”

Posted by Mike Florio on May 13, 2009, 7:05 a.m.

Former NFL defensive end Simeon Rice wants to drop the “former.” And he’s telling anyone who’ll listen.

Unfortunately, the group of curious ears has yet to include one or more of the 32 franchise that constitute the league.

Most recently, Rice made his case for a comeback on Sporting News Radio’s The Monty Show.

“I’m really in playoff shape right now, it’s bananas that I’m not on a team right now,” Rice said. “It’s great in a way but its frustrating. I feel like a freak of nature, like a super hero with no one to save.”

Specifically, Rice wants to save the Bears. (Maybe he plays receiver now.)

“That’d be a nice situation, you’ve got Rod Marinelli up there and it’s a good situation if it can get around that way,” Rice said.It’s not clear if the Bears are interested. Apparently, however, other as-yet-unknown teams are.

“I talked to my agent two days ago and he said we’ve got some takers that’s been calling and that’s a good thing,” Rice said. “It’s like a surgeon that goes through medical school and prepares and starts putting the work in and doing his rotations and not having anywhere to place the skills. And my skill set is sharp, my ability is as good as it’s ever been, talent wise I haven’t lost anything and now all I have to do is just add my talent, my ability, my thirst for the game to a team that wants to do something special. I mean I’m talking about doing something special this season man.”

He might very well do something special this season.

But it might very well happen in the UFL.

Former NFL defensive end Simeon Rice wants to drop the “former.” And he’s telling anyone who’ll listen.

Unfortunately, the group of curious ears has yet to include one or more of the 32 franchise that constitute the league.

Most recently, Rice made his case for a comeback on Sporting News Radio’s The Monty Show.

“I’m really in playoff shape right now, it’s bananas that I’m not on a team right now,” Rice said. “It’s great in a way but its frustrating. I feel like a freak of nature, like a super hero with no one to save.”

“That’d be a nice situation, you’ve got Rod Marinelli up there and it’s a good situation if it can get around that way,” Rice said.It’s not clear if the Bears are interested. Apparently, however, other as-yet-unknown teams are.

“I talked to my agent two days ago and he said we’ve got some takers that’s been calling and that’s a good thing,” Rice said. “It’s like a surgeon that goes through medical school and prepares and starts putting the work in and doing his rotations and not having anywhere to place the skills. And my skill set is sharp, my ability is as good as it’s ever been, talent wise I haven’t lost anything and now all I have to do is just add my talent, my ability, my thirst for the game to a team that wants to do something special. I mean I’m talking about doing something special this season man.”

I thought Angelo pretty much shot this idea down. Per Rotoworld:

"He was a great player and I really respect what he did for Tampa," Angelo said, "(but) I doubt we'd be pursuing Simeon."

Rice is a one-dimensional pass-rusher, and he's way, way over the hill: the last time he had more than 2 sacks in a season was in 2005 with the Buccaneers. If he's a super hero, he sure didn't save the Broncos or the Colts in 2007, or anybody at all in 2008. He could barely get on the field for the Broncos, who don't exactly have a stellar d-line, and he did even less for the Colts. Both teams signed him because a starter went down (Ekuban on the Broncos and Dwight Freeney on the Colts) and in both cases, Rice was on the bench on game days while the teams went with guys they already had on the roster. That, coupled with the fact that not a single team wanted him in 2008, says a lot.

I've heard a lot of talk about the Rice-Marinelli connection, since Marinelli was his coach in Tampa Bay. Marinelli was coaching the Lions last year, though, and they had a godawful defensive line. I think if Rice had anything left, Marinelli would have brought him to Detroit. Instead, he sat on his couch for 2008. The guy's done.

I thought Angelo pretty much shot this idea down. Per Rotoworld:

"He was a great player and I really respect what he did for Tampa," Angelo said, "(but) I doubt we'd be pursuing Simeon."

Rice is a one-dimensional pass-rusher, and he's way, way over the hill: the last time he had more than 2 sacks in a season was in 2005 with the Buccaneers. If he's a super hero, he sure didn't save the Broncos or the Colts in 2007, or anybody at all in 2008. He could barely get on the field for the Broncos, who don't exactly have a stellar d-line, and he did even less for the Colts. Both teams signed him because a starter went down (Ekuban on the Broncos and Dwight Freeney on the Colts) and in both cases, Rice was on the bench on game days while the teams went with guys they already had on the roster. That, coupled with the fact that not a single team wanted him in 2008, says a lot.

I've heard a lot of talk about the Rice-Marinelli connection, since Marinelli was his coach in Tampa Bay. Marinelli was coaching the Lions last year, though, and they had a godawful defensive line. I think if Rice had anything left, Marinelli would have brought him to Detroit. Instead, he sat on his couch for 2008. The guy's done.

Agreed completely. Not to mention, it's a numbers game at this point. Most teams keep 8 defensive lineman on their active roster. Last year we kept nine. As of right now we have 10 who seem likely to make the roster: DE--Wale, Alex, MA, Idonije, Melton, DT--Tommie, Adams, Dusty, Harrison, & Gilbert.

We don't need a "fill-in" defensive end.

Agreed completely. Not to mention, it's a numbers game at this point. Most teams keep 8 defensive lineman on their active roster. Last year we kept nine. As of right now we have 10 who seem likely to make the roster: DE--Wale, Alex, MA, Idonije, Melton, DT--Tommie, Adams, Dusty, Harrison, & Gilbert.

We don't need a "fill-in" defensive end.

You have to figure that list doesn't bode well for everyone on it.

You have to figure that list doesn't bode well for everyone on it.

I honestly hope Dusty's the odd man out. He can't stay healthy, and he's not stout enough to play the nose guard in a 4-3. Replacing Tank Johnson with Dusty practically crippled our run defense, ultimately necessitating that mug-up, eight-in-the-box look that caused so many coverage problems last year. Anthony Adams severely outperformed Dvoracek in 2008, and it sounds like we're moving Marcus Harrison to the nose, which makes Dusty pretty expendable. I'd be more than happy with Adams/Harrison at nose guard, Harris/Gilbert at under tackle, and Toeaina as a third-string at both spots.

I honestly hope Dusty's the odd man out. He can't stay healthy, and he's not stout enough to play the nose guard in a 4-3. Replacing Tank Johnson with Dusty practically crippled our run defense, ultimately necessitating that mug-up, eight-in-the-box look that caused so many coverage problems last year. Anthony Adams severely outperformed Dvoracek in 2008, and it sounds like we're moving Marcus Harrison to the nose, which makes Dusty pretty expendable. I'd be more than happy with Adams/Harrison at nose guard, Harris/Gilbert at under tackle, and Toeaina as a third-string at both spots.

Was I wrong with the impression that Dusty seemed to play darn well the first few games last year but then completely fell apart?

I do agree, this camp seems like his last shot.

The only thing Dusty did well last year was his hustle, and because of that, he would make a couple good plays here or there. However, hustle doesn't do you much good when you are getting manhandled and being driven off the ball and out of the hole like you are a sled pad.

The only thing Dusty did well last year was his hustle, and because of that, he would make a couple good plays here or there. However, hustle doesn't do you much good when you are getting manhandled and being driven off the ball and out of the hole like you are a sled pad.

On passing downs Dusty just stood there and looked at the offensive players in front of him. He made zero effort to get to the QB. He seemed to start the season well but faded very quickly and it was surprising it took Babich and Lovie so long to get him off the field, especially considering that Adams had played well for us the year before.

I think he lacks confidence LOL

I don't know that I would agree Dusty just stood there. I always felt he gave 100% effort, but simply lacked getting it done. He seemed to have no moves to get separation, nor the power to push. He gave the effort, but in the end, it didn't matter as the OL would lock on him and drive him out of the play.

As for the staff, I think they simply get caught up in the "type" of DT they want, and Adams simply doesn't fit what they want. Its really too bad. Adams is no stud, but he has been one of our most consistent DL when on the field the last couple of seasons. He is solid vs the run. On passing downs, he doesn't get to the QB, but I would argue he does more to (a) keep our LBs free (B) uses power well to help push/collapse the pocket and © does a better job of creating space for either the LBs to blitz through or Harris to use moves to get into.

When Dusty was in the game, not only was he stood up, but he was often blocked into Harris, killing Harris' ability to detach from his blocker and attack the QB. Adams did a better job of taking on his block, and creating space, better allowing Harris space to work against his man, rather than having a 2nd blocker (Dusty's guy) move into his area.

But again, it comes back to the staff. Adams simply does not fit the DT mold the staff wants, and thus only gets an opportunity when the staff is forced to go to him. It drives me nuts the way our staff can get so locked into a "type" of player, as they prefer to play a guy who is simply bad, but fits their scheme, rather than tweak the scheme and play a better player.

On passing downs Dusty just stood there and looked at the offensive players in front of him. He made zero effort to get to the QB. He seemed to start the season well but faded very quickly and it was surprising it took Babich and Lovie so long to get him off the field, especially considering that Adams had played well for us the year before.

I don't know that I would agree Dusty just stood there. I always felt he gave 100% effort, but simply lacked getting it done. He seemed to have no moves to get separation, nor the power to push. He gave the effort, but in the end, it didn't matter as the OL would lock on him and drive him out of the play.

As for the staff, I think they simply get caught up in the "type" of DT they want, and Adams simply doesn't fit what they want. Its really too bad. Adams is no stud, but he has been one of our most consistent DL when on the field the last couple of seasons. He is solid vs the run. On passing downs, he doesn't get to the QB, but I would argue he does more to (a) keep our LBs free (B) uses power well to help push/collapse the pocket and © does a better job of creating space for either the LBs to blitz through or Harris to use moves to get into.

When Dusty was in the game, not only was he stood up, but he was often blocked into Harris, killing Harris' ability to detach from his blocker and attack the QB. Adams did a better job of taking on his block, and creating space, better allowing Harris space to work against his man, rather than having a 2nd blocker (Dusty's guy) move into his area.

But again, it comes back to the staff. Adams simply does not fit the DT mold the staff wants, and thus only gets an opportunity when the staff is forced to go to him. It drives me nuts the way our staff can get so locked into a "type" of player, as they prefer to play a guy who is simply bad, but fits their scheme, rather than tweak the scheme and play a better player.

I remember PFT or somebody posted an anonymous quote from a Bears staff member, basically saying that he'd never seen a nose tackle get blown off the ball as much as Dvoracek. He just doesn't have the anchor to play the nose, and it cripples our run defense. Not only did Adams outplay him (and I really hope we go into this season with Adams as the starter) but I think you could argue, considering the limited playing time he got, that Toeaina did too.

In the video I linked in the Cutler thread, Pat Kirwan also comments on the loss of Tank Johnson and what it did to our defense. Our scheme doesn't just rely on the front 4 to rush the passer, it relies on them to close running lanes and keep blockers off the middle linebacker. A lot of that responsibility falls on the nose guard. If you look at Tampa Bay in the Warren Sapp-Simeon Rice era, who'd they have at nose guard? Booger McFarland. You need an excellent run-stopper lined up next to the under tackle in order to run our defense, and Dusty isn't it.

Incidentally, McFarland had a similar physical skillset to Anthony Adams. They're both squatty and sort of undersized, but get good leverage and are capable run-stuffing tackles. So as far as Anthony Adams not fitting our "DT mold," I hope that's not true, since the model for our scheme came from a team that used another 6'0" 300-pound guy at the nose. Basically, I'm hoping that we go into this season rotating Adams and Harrison at that spot: between the two of them, we ought to finally be able to make up for the loss of Tank.

Some of the most damning stuff I ever heard about Dusty came from Sapp, who was doing an interview on the Score. For any who do not know, Sapp actually works as an anaylist w/, I think, NFL Network. So in Warren Sapp, you have an individual who: former player, played DT, played in the cover two scheme, played when Lovie was in TB and today watches film, as opposed to just spouting off. So for me, Sapps comments went a long way. Anyway, Sapp said Dusty was absolutely worthless. He pointed to several players where Dusty not only failed to beat his man, but actually allowed himself to be blocking into Harris, killing Harris chance of doing anything. Dusty at DT not only hurt the team by not having a player capable of making a play, but Sapp pointed to how his poor play directly affected the play of Urlacher and Harris, not to mention the DEs.

I have to disagree w/ the Booger to Adams comparison though. While both are stout against the run, Booker actually had a decent about of quickness (for his size) and was better capable of attacking the QB. I believe he even notched like 6.5 sacks one year. Don't get me wrong. I am not calling him a pass rusher, but simply stating he had greater penetration capability than Adams.

And that is the key difference. Lovie wants 4 DL who can rush the passer. I have never agreed w/ this, but that has always been what Lovie wants. Just look at the DTs we have been drafting since Lovie was the coach, and we moved to his system. Gone were the run stuffing DTs like Traylor and Washington, and in come DTs like Harris, Tank, Dusty and more recent, Gilbert. Lovie wants his NT/DT to be stout against the run, but also believes that player should be capable of rushing the passer. In Adams, I think Lovie see's a pure run stuffing DT, incapable of attacking the passer. I personally would argue Adams helps our pass rush by (a) helping collapse the pocket, which prevents the QB from stepping up to avoid the DEs and potentially even pushes the QB back into the DEs path (B) creating space for Harris to use a greater number of moves and © creating space for Urlacher to blitz up the gut.

But Lovie, IMHO, simply views things different, and thus why I think Lovie doesn't really like Adams. I do not see Adams starting this year. I think, more likely, Harrison could be tagged to start. Adams and Gilbert will be part of the rotation.

I remember PFT or somebody posted an anonymous quote from a Bears staff member, basically saying that he'd never seen a nose tackle get blown off the ball as much as Dvoracek. He just doesn't have the anchor to play the nose, and it cripples our run defense. Not only did Adams outplay him (and I really hope we go into this season with Adams as the starter) but I think you could argue, considering the limited playing time he got, that Toeaina did too.

In the video I linked in the Cutler thread, Pat Kirwan also comments on the loss of Tank Johnson and what it did to our defense. Our scheme doesn't just rely on the front 4 to rush the passer, it relies on them to close running lanes and keep blockers off the middle linebacker. A lot of that responsibility falls on the nose guard. If you look at Tampa Bay in the Warren Sapp-Simeon Rice era, who'd they have at nose guard? Booger McFarland. You need an excellent run-stopper lined up next to the under tackle in order to run our defense, and Dusty isn't it.

Incidentally, McFarland had a similar physical skillset to Anthony Adams. They're both squatty and sort of undersized, but get good leverage and are capable run-stuffing tackles. So as far as Anthony Adams not fitting our "DT mold," I hope that's not true, since the model for our scheme came from a team that used another 6'0" 300-pound guy at the nose. Basically, I'm hoping that we go into this season rotating Adams and Harrison at that spot: between the two of them, we ought to finally be able to make up for the loss of Tank.

Some of the most damning stuff I ever heard about Dusty came from Sapp, who was doing an interview on the Score. For any who do not know, Sapp actually works as an anaylist w/, I think, NFL Network. So in Warren Sapp, you have an individual who: former player, played DT, played in the cover two scheme, played when Lovie was in TB and today watches film, as opposed to just spouting off. So for me, Sapps comments went a long way. Anyway, Sapp said Dusty was absolutely worthless. He pointed to several players where Dusty not only failed to beat his man, but actually allowed himself to be blocking into Harris, killing Harris chance of doing anything. Dusty at DT not only hurt the team by not having a player capable of making a play, but Sapp pointed to how his poor play directly affected the play of Urlacher and Harris, not to mention the DEs.

I have to disagree w/ the Booger to Adams comparison though. While both are stout against the run, Booker actually had a decent about of quickness (for his size) and was better capable of attacking the QB. I believe he even notched like 6.5 sacks one year. Don't get me wrong. I am not calling him a pass rusher, but simply stating he had greater penetration capability than Adams.

And that is the key difference. Lovie wants 4 DL who can rush the passer. I have never agreed w/ this, but that has always been what Lovie wants. Just look at the DTs we have been drafting since Lovie was the coach, and we moved to his system. Gone were the run stuffing DTs like Traylor and Washington, and in come DTs like Harris, Tank, Dusty and more recent, Gilbert. Lovie wants his NT/DT to be stout against the run, but also believes that player should be capable of rushing the passer. In Adams, I think Lovie see's a pure run stuffing DT, incapable of attacking the passer. I personally would argue Adams helps our pass rush by (a) helping collapse the pocket, which prevents the QB from stepping up to avoid the DEs and potentially even pushes the QB back into the DEs path (B) creating space for Harris to use a greater number of moves and © creating space for Urlacher to blitz up the gut.

But Lovie, IMHO, simply views things different, and thus why I think Lovie doesn't really like Adams. I do not see Adams starting this year. I think, more likely, Harrison could be tagged to start. Adams and Gilbert will be part of the rotation.

Yeah, that would offer some explanation for why Adams has had such a hard time getting snaps. It's a shame, because he's a very good run-stopping DT. You're right about Booger having far more pass-rush ability than Adams - if I remember right, he actually took over the under tackle spot when Sapp left Tampa Bay. However, if Lovie wants some more pass-rush ability at the other DT spot, we can go into 2009 with Harrison starting and Adams as relief. That would be fine by me: even at this early juncture, Harrison is a huge upgrade over Dvoracek, and he should offer more ability to penetrate and get to the QB than Adams.