Now can Cutler make them work

Wesson44

College Quarterbacks Love Bears Rookie Wide Receivers

Posted May 13, 2009 3:00PM By Matt Snyder (RSS feed)

After the Bears landed Jay Cutler in early April, the focus of many fans and media alike shifted to the receiving corps. Devin Hester, Rashied Davis and Earl Bennett will need some help, and no one can doubt that. Since then, the Bears have seen Torry Holt sign with the Jags, not traded for Anquan Boldin -- probably because they don't have enough to offer -- and drafted three second-day wide receivers.

Over the course of the past week, the Chicago Tribune has conducted interviews with the three respective quarterbacks of the three drafted wideouts. As can be expected, those interviews unearthed rave reviews.

According to Heisman trophy-winning Oklahoma quarterback Sam Bradford, Bears third-round pick Juaquin Iglesias has been nationally overlooked and will make a smooth transition to the NFL. He's also got a big-game knack, according to Bradford.

"I also think you have to look at the fact that he caught two touchdown passes in our Big 12 Championship game. He wasn't fazed by the big games. In fact, he played well in those circumstances. That means a lot to a championship team.''

Billy Malone, the man who quarterbacked the Bears sixth-round pick at Abilene Christian, owes more than a quarter of his career passing yards to Johnny Knox. According to Malone, Knox possesses all-world speed and has enough strength to complement the speed at the next level.

"Everybody talks about his speed, but what people don't know is Johnny has such strong hands,'' Malone said. "He's just got that grown man upper-body strength.

"I guess at the next level, they talk about if receivers can get off of press coverage or whatever. With his strength and speed, he should have no problem. He's going to do well for the Bears."

In the seventh round, the Bears selected Derek Kinder from Pittsburgh. Kinder was really blossoming as a go-to receiver before tearing his ACL before his senior season. When he finally got a season year last season, he wasn't fully recovered until the end of the season. Bill Stull, Kinder's quarterback at Pitt, notes how much stronger Kinder came away from the injury.

"The one thing I think Derek learned from his experience was mental toughness,'' Stull said. "Just going through a major adversity ... that's something he never had to deal with here before."

Stull also noted that Kinder showed his speed was back when running the 40 in the "4.4s" during Pittsburgh's Pro Day.

Now, let's be real for a second. Obviously, the quarterbacks who got to throw to eventual NFL draft picks in college are going to fall over themselves praising guys who probably made them look good more often than not. They likely even have good friendships with the respective receivers. Still, you can take some of the statements and logically read something from them.

Bradford spoke about Iglesias' ability to learn a tough system quickly, make difficult catches and step up on the big stage. It's true, Iglesias did prove himself on college football's biggest stages. Mental toughness and great hands are things the Bears need -- and many scouts pointed out they believed Iglesias to be a steal late in the third round.

As far as with Kinder and Knox, the prospects of one of the two sticking with the Bears in the future sounds realistic. Knox is a guy who has loads of talent but hasn't showcased it against top-level competition. Kinder was growing into a star in the Big East -- 57 catches for 847 yards and 6 touchdowns his junior year -- before a season-ending injury. He's now a full season removed from it and has shown the drive and tenacity one needs to survive in the NFL.

While it would still be nice if the Bears still found a way to swing a deal for Boldin, the prospects of developing the young receiving corps under Cutler -- and teaming them them with the ball-catching skills of Greg Olsen and Matt Forte -- seems a bit more enticing when looking toward the future than coughing up tons of money and draft picks.

Now, let's be real for a second. Obviously, the quarterbacks who got to throw to eventual NFL draft picks in college are going to fall over themselves praising guys who probably made them look good more often than not. They likely even have good friendships with the respective receivers. Still, you can take some of the statements and logically read something from them.

I like what I hear from the QB's, but the above says it all. I tend to be a little more cynical when it comes to fluff like this ad think to myself; "how the hell would any of these kids know what it's like in the NFL?" You can only imagine the speed of the NFL game, it's nothing like the transition from high school to D1.

I like what I hear from the QB's, but the above says it all. I tend to be a little more cynical when it comes to fluff like this and think to myself; "how the hell would any of these kids know what it's like in the NFL?" You can only imagine the speed of the NFL game, it's nothing like the transition from high school to D1.

I like the fact that we've drafted WR who are known for their ability to catch versus the "athletes" we've brought in over the years and then hoping they'd improve as a WR. We still have two of them on the roster in Davis and Hester. It looked like we might be doing that same old thing with Massaquoi who is not known for his hands and to be honest I wouldn't have minded drafting him in the third either.

Here's an interesting note, via CBS Sports: Pat Kirwan thinks that Juaquin Iglesias can have an Eddie Royal-type rookie season thanks to Jay Cutler. If you don't want to watch the video, Kirwan basically says that Eddie Royal attributed a lot of his excellent rookie season (91 catches, 980 yards, 5 touchdowns) to Cutler helping him develop and getting him the ball.

Obviously Royal and Iglesias are pretty different in terms of their skillsets, but the common thread I see between them is this: both of them know how to get open. They go about it differently, Royal with his quickness and Iglesias with his slick route-running, but they can both separate from a DB. If you can separate and your QB can deliver the ball like Cutler can, the only thing remaining is to make the catch, which Iglesias can do. If Kirwan's right, and Iglesias (or, for that matter, Earl Bennett) can step up the way Royal did, we might have a pretty decent passing game in 2009.

Here's an interesting note, via CBS Sports: Pat Kirwan thinks that Juaquin Iglesias can have an Eddie Royal-type rookie season thanks to Jay Cutler. If you don't want to watch the video, Kirwan basically says that Eddie Royal attributed a lot of his excellent rookie season (91 catches, 980 yards, 5 touchdowns) to Cutler helping him develop and getting him the ball.

Obviously Royal and Iglesias are pretty different in terms of their skillsets, but the common thread I see between them is this: both of them know how to get open. They go about it differently, Royal with his quickness and Iglesias with his slick route-running, but they can both separate from a DB. If you can separate and your QB can deliver the ball like Cutler can, the only thing remaining is to make the catch, which Iglesias can do. If Kirwan's right, and Iglesias (or, for that matter, Earl Bennett) can step up the way Royal did, we might have a pretty decent passing game in 2009.

Cutler will have moret targets to throw to In Clark/Olsen at TE, Forte/Jones at RB, Hester,Bennett(favorite from college)Iglesias, Knox(speedy),Kinder, Davis and or Rideau than his 90 passes to Royal and ???? to Marshall. Looking at ur WR'S we are going to be a threat DEEP and mid range with the WR and short to middle with the TE'& RB. This means a better passing game.

IMHO, he had more proven, goto potential in Denver (Marshall alone would equate to this) but in Chicago, he may have a greater number of options. In Chicago, he may not have that one elite WR he can look to on any given play, but he will have more options overall, and for a QB like Cutler, he can buy time and work through progressions, that is a great asset.

That is why I think, at the end of the year when we look at the receivers stats, no one WR will truly stand out as looking "great" but numerous could look very good. I think we could have an offense where we see the ball really spread around, and see 4 or 5 receivers w/ 50+ catches.

Cutler will have moret targets to throw to In Clark/Olsen at TE, Forte/Jones at RB, Hester,Bennett(favorite from college)Iglesias, Knox(speedy),Kinder, Davis and or Rideau than his 90 passes to Royal and ???? to Marshall. Looking at ur WR'S we are going to be a threat DEEP and mid range with the WR and short to middle with the TE'& RB. This means a better passing game.

IMHO, he had more proven, goto potential in Denver (Marshall alone would equate to this) but in Chicago, he may have a greater number of options. In Chicago, he may not have that one elite WR he can look to on any given play, but he will have more options overall, and for a QB like Cutler, he can buy time and work through progressions, that is a great asset.

That is why I think, at the end of the year when we look at the receivers stats, no one WR will truly stand out as looking "great" but numerous could look very good. I think we could have an offense where we see the ball really spread around, and see 4 or 5 receivers w/ 50+ catches.

And...he ought to have a much more reliable running game with Forte...and if he can't get in a good position, he ought to have a defense that can help him out a lot more. And he ought to have a defense and special teams that has the ability to give him really good field position.

It is funny when people talk about Marshall as a go-to type receiver when he really didn't even do anything until Cutler was the starting QB. It will be interesting to see how he does this year without Cutler and with an entire new offense.

Of the rookies, I could see Iglesias and Kinder both having pretty good seasons. I think Bennett is going to benefit the most from Cutler (even though he is technically not a rookie).

Of the rookies, I could see Iglesias and Kinder both having pretty good seasons. I think Bennett is going to benefit the most from Cutler (even though he is technically not a rookie).

On the latter part, I vote Hester. He becomes uncoverable if you have a QB who can actually hit him with the ball on the fly. You have to give him a 20 yard cushion at the LOS because otherwise he'll blow past you if you're a CB, and that leaves him wide open on anything underneath.

On the latter part, I vote Hester. He becomes uncoverable if you have a QB who can actually hit him with the ball on the fly. You have to give him a 20 yard cushion at the LOS because otherwise he'll blow past you if you're a CB, and that leaves him wide open on anything underneath.

I was talking about the rookies. All the receivers are going to benefit from Cutler's arm.

Defenders do have a choice in how to cover Hester because he still struggles with CB who jam him at the LOS. Sometimes all you have to do is upset the timing of the play to force the QB to look elsewhere. And if they have a safety playing over the top it's not a concern about the deep threat.