Bears remain 'Plex-ible' at WR

Wesson44

By Vaughn McClure | Tribune reporter

May 18, 2009

Bears fan Tony Tudisco from Aurora put himself on the hot seat Sunday when he inquired how Jay Cutler would thrive "without any receivers to throw to."

Bears general manager Jerry Angelo fired back.

"Sounds like you're from Wisconsin," Angelo said sarcastically.

The receiver question was sure to surface as spirited diehards gathered for the annual Bears Expo. But before the festivities began, Angelo discussed a possibility he previously had dismissed: Plaxico Burress.

"As I said, we'll look at every option," Angelo said. "[His] situation is different because there are circumstances. We'll monitor it. ... He could help any team."

Cutler has reached out to Burress, and agent Drew Rosenhaus recently said at least two teams are seriously interested in signing the former New York Giant. The Jets are likely one of them.

"Are we one of those two teams? No," Angelo said.

Burress, released by the Giants on April 3, has a June 15 hearing stemming from felony gun charges. He accidentally shot himself in the thigh in November at a Manhattan nightclub. He could face jail time and if not, at least a league suspension.

"Obviously there are things that have to happen for him to play in the league, get on with his life," Angelo said.

Prior to the draft, Angelo said Burress was not an option. The Bears enter Wednesday's first day of organized team activities with Devin Hester as their lead receiver followed by Earl Bennett and Rashied Davis.

"We are very comfortable with the receivers that we have," Angelo said.

"We'll monitor it."

This means they will wait to see how long he is in prison and how long he is suspended before doing anything.

Personally, not interested.

Peace :dabears

If he can be signed to a "model citizen and team mate" contract, I'm all for it. He makes us superbowl contenders immediately. He's a dumbass, but not a T.O. type dumbass, as in his team mates seemed to like him.(Eli in particular)

If he can be signed to a "model citizen and team mate" contract, I'm all for it. He makes us superbowl contenders immediately. He's a dumbass, but not a T.O. type dumbass, as in his team mates seemed to like him.(Eli in particular)

To add to my last post on this...

I think we'd have the upper hand in signing Plax if we want him. I'm sure he's ready to get away from the NY press. They will never let him live it down. Also, the fact that Rosenhaus is mum on the other team interested "if the Bears" is that he knows how Angelo works. If he would leak the Bears, Angelo would pay him back somehow.

Not to mention the our Superstar Cutler also likes him. He called him after we traded for him to see if Plax wanted to play for the Bears. Sounds like Cutler knows what he needs in terms of a WR to get us were we need to be. But that would look good on paper Burress one one side Hester on the other. With or without him I think our WR are going to be special this year with Cutler because he can sramble to keep plays alive unlike Grossman & Orton did. Oh but have you seen Cutler throw on the run......dang we are going deep!!!!

Not to mention the our Superstar Cutler also likes him. He called him after we traded for him to see if Plax wanted to play for the Bears. Sounds like Cutler knows what he needs in terms of a WR to get us were we need to be. But that would look good on paper Burress one one side Hester on the other. With or without him I think our WR are going to be special this year with Cutler because he can sramble to keep plays alive unlike Grossman & Orton did. Oh but have you seen Cutler throw on the run......dang we are going deep!!!!

Unlike many on the forum, I drool over the idea of signing Plaxico. Hell, I was in love with the guy when he was in the draft. He is an elite WR who could easily make our offense one of the more dangerous in the league. Put him with Cutler, Forte, Hester, & Olsen, sprinkle in our rookie WRs and an improved OL and what do you have? Something I assure you we have not seen in Chicago for decades. Add to it one of the top STs in the league and what I hope will be a top 10 defense, and what do we have? A Super Bowl.

If we can not get Plax (or he winds up in jail) maybe the Boldin trade will resurface with lower asking price or B Edwards is a possibility. I know we may be fine with what we already have on the roster, but I would welcome a proven veteran with open arms.

Unlike many on the forum, I drool over the idea of signing Plaxico. Hell, I was in love with the guy when he was in the draft. He is an elite WR who could easily make our offense one of the more dangerous in the league. Put him with Cutler, Forte, Hester, & Olsen, sprinkle in our rookie WRs and an improved OL and what do you have? Something I assure you we have not seen in Chicago for decades. Add to it one of the top STs in the league and what I hope will be a top 10 defense, and what do we have? A Super Bowl.

If we can not get Plax (or he winds up in jail) maybe the Boldin trade will resurface with lower asking price or B Edwards is a possibility. I know we may be fine with what we already have on the roster, but I would welcome a proven veteran with open arms.

I like your thinking but B.Edwards? He isn't the guys with the best of hands bit who knows. Our problem is we try to make WR out of DB'S and DB'S out of WR. But if we get Plax its lights out for the oppossing teams defense, Plax Hester J.I ,Bennett,Kinder, Knox/Davis will kill them!! Not to mention like you said Olsen/Clark and Forte..........where is the Kool=Aid!!!!!

I loved this guy coming out of State as well. I kept hoping he'd be a Bear. And I still would love him on the Bears. He'd instantly make our WR corps better by giving us a legitimate #1 which than pushes everyone else down the charts and takes pressure off of our developing guys. Hester gets more time, Bennett and Iglesias get some time and in general we just get a ton more depth. Plus Plaxico possesses a skill-set that none of our WR's have and could be ridiculously huge for us in the Red Zone along with Olsen.

I loved this guy coming out of State as well. I kept hoping he'd be a Bear. And I still would love him on the Bears. He'd instantly make our WR corps better by giving us a legitimate #1 which than pushes everyone else down the charts and takes pressure off of our developing guys. Hester gets more time, Bennett and Iglesias get some time and in general we just get a ton more depth. Plus Plaxico possesses a skill-set that none of our WR's have and could be ridiculously huge for us in the Red Zone along with Olsen.

JA says that "we will monitor it" looking at the Plax situation, but my take on it is this,if you have no interest in him why monitor the situation? JA is just putting out a smokescreen here. If your QB of the future wants a certain guy to throw to would you be stupid enough not to get that guy when you know it will make your team better? I think not

"As I said, we'll look at every option," Angelo said. "[His] situation is different because there are circumstances. We'll monitor it. ... He could help any team."

JA says that "we will monitor it" looking at the Plax situation, but my take on it is this,if you have no interest in him why monitor the situation? JA is just putting out a smokescreen here. If your QB of the future wants a certain guy to throw to would you be stupid enough not to get that guy when you know it will make your team better? I think not

Ok, let's say the Bears are interested. Do you think he will serve any prison time? Do you think the league will suspend him?

IMHO, he may somehow skate on prison time with a suspended sentence and heavy fines, however, he will face a minimum 4 game suspension. Personally, the guy should get the same penalty (prison time) any average Joe on the street will get but I doubt that will happen.

Ok, let's say the Bears are interested. Do you think he will serve any prison time? Do you think the league will suspend him?

IMHO, he may somehow skate on prison time with a suspended sentence and heavy fines, however, he will face a minimum 4 game suspension. Personally, the guy should get the same penalty (prison time) any average Joe on the street will get but I doubt that will happen.

Imho it was said somewhere that he was going to get 6 days with a plea deal, but he wanted no jail time. I think that he will get something far less than the three to five because he is a football player, he wasn't committing a crime(other than having the gun) like robery or murder. and the money he is paying the lawyers to keep him out of jail. He might get a suspended by the league for 4 games but that will be at the start of the year. We then have 12 games with him

What did Lynch ftom the bills get for having a loaded gun and DUP......wst like 3 games?

Imho it was said somewhere that he was going to get 6 days with a plea deal, but he wanted no jail time. I think that he will get something far less than the three to five because he is a football player, he wasn't committing a crime(other than having the gun) like robery or murder. and the money he is paying the lawyers to keep him out of jail. He might get a suspended by the league for 4 games but that will be at the start of the year. We then have 12 games with him

I think you have to look even bigger. Suspended for 4, but have him for 44 to 60 games. Heck, 76 if he can play at 36 like TO will be.

Ya know what? As long as he doesn't bring his gun to practice or a game, sign him. I'm sick and tired of hearing about one guy or another's character defects. Hell, nobody really cares. The NFL doesn't, ex players don't, coaches don't, teammates don't, fans don't. I'm beginning to believe that every player in this league whose any good has some skeletons in their closets or they just have better PR efforts going on. Cold as it might sound, I don't care about ANY players today, that went away long ago when they started treating this game as a business. Now it is a business to me as well. I'm a fan who is in the business of wanting their team to win. I don't care whether we have alter boys or sinners. I ONLY care whether they show up ready to compete on Sunday.

Maybe a little tongue in cheek but not too much.

Ya know what? As long as he doesn't bring his gun to practice or a game, sign him. I'm sick and tired of hearing about one guy or another's character defects. Hell, nobody really cares. The NFL doesn't, ex players don't, coaches don't, teammates don't, fans don't. I'm beginning to believe that every player in this league whose any good has some skeletons in their closets or they just have better PR efforts going on. Cold as it might sound, I don't care about ANY players today, that went away long ago when they started treating this game as a business. Now it is a business to me as well. I'm a fan who is in the business of wanting their team to win. I don't care whether we have alter boys or sinners. I ONLY care whether they show up ready to compete on Sunday.

Yo Big Daddy I feel the same way you do. It's a business and we are in the business to win More wins the more Championships more money for the owners and playrs,more enjoyment for the fans.Hell I don't care if we had "The Longest Yard's" football teams roster just long as the Bears are winners!

One key thing you said, which I would disagree w/, is when you said the NFL doesn't care about player's character defects. I think Goddell (who represents the NFL) cares, and has shown as much through tough fines and suspensions.

One interesting thing, if we were to add Pax.

If you go back to the 2000 draft, I think there were 3 players most often talked about or tied to discussions of who we were expected to draft. Thomas Jones, Plax and then Urlacher. TJ and Plax were gone, so we drafted Urlacher, but then we later signed TJ. If we now got Plax, we would have essentially gotten all 3 players we wanted from that 2000 draft.

Just an interesting thought.

By Vaughn McClure | Tribune reporter

May 18, 2009

Bears fan Tony Tudisco from Aurora put himself on the hot seat Sunday when he inquired how Jay Cutler would thrive "without any receivers to throw to."

Bears general manager Jerry Angelo fired back.

"Sounds like you're from Wisconsin," Angelo said sarcastically.

The receiver question was sure to surface as spirited diehards gathered for the annual Bears Expo. But before the festivities began, Angelo discussed a possibility he previously had dismissed: Plaxico Burress.

Cutler has reached out to Burress, and agent Drew Rosenhaus recently said at least two teams are seriously interested in signing the former New York Giant. The Jets are likely one of them.

"Are we one of those two teams? No," Angelo said.

Burress, released by the Giants on April 3, has a June 15 hearing stemming from felony gun charges. He accidentally shot himself in the thigh in November at a Manhattan nightclub. He could face jail time and if not, at least a league suspension.

"Obviously there are things that have to happen for him to play in the league, get on with his life," Angelo said.

Prior to the draft, Angelo said Burress was not an option. The Bears enter Wednesday's first day of organized team activities with Devin Hester as their lead receiver followed by Earl Bennett and Rashied Davis.

"We are very comfortable with the receivers that we have," Angelo said.

Yo Big Daddy I feel the same way you do. It's a business and we are in the business to win More wins the more Championships more money for the owners and playrs,more enjoyment for the fans.Hell I don't care if we had "The Longest Yard's" football teams roster just long as the Bears are winners!

Hey, I don't mind if they are sinners as well but if they are a locker room cancer (see TO) then I want nothing to do with them. My main issue with "Plexiglass" is there is still much to be resolved before he can be signed by anyone. Further, I am very interested to see how well the younger talent at WR steps up and, at this point in time, I am willing to go with what we got.

Hey, I don't mind if they are sinners as well but if they are a locker room cancer (see TO) then I want nothing to do with them. My main issue with "Plexiglass" is there is still much to be resolved before he can be signed by anyone. Further, I am very interested to see how well the younger talent at WR steps up and, at this point in time, I am willing to go with what we got.

We may not have a choice but to go with what we have and maybe that won't be such a bad thing. I think we'll know pretty damn quick whether our shortcomings at WR were overstated or real. I don't have to win a SB this year. Next year's just fine with me.

I live in a state where gun-carrying people are everywhere so I really don't care that Plax had a gun. I care that he was stupid enough to shoot himself, doesn't show much in the way of common sense. What concerns me the most about Plax is his lousy attitude toward practice and his teammates. Skipping practices for BS reasons, then when he gets suspended he runs around bragging about how it's no big deal, he's getting some time off. That kind of an attitude with our young WRs worries me.

One thing that bothers the hell out of me is his seemingly total disregard for authority.

I do not want to make a big stink about traffic violations, but did you read about how often he is pulled over for speeding and reckless driving? That in itself is far from a deal breaker, but what bothered me was the way he handled it, by chewing out the officer. He is yelling at the officer, saying crap like, "Do you know who I am" and "I know your bosses and you better let me go if you know what is good for you". That sort of garbage.

Regarding his gun case, he has attorneys telling him the DA is putting up a good offer. His attorneys are trying to get him to take the plea deal, but Plax doesn't care what his attorneys think.

Also remember NYG's recently making Plax a contract offer, which Rosenhause advised him was a good offer and it would be in his best intrest to take, but again, he doesn't care what his agent advises, and not only refuses the offer, but goes to the media and blasts the team saying the offer is pitiful.

That isn't to mention how he has dealt w/ the coaches, blowing off the rules and snubbing the team's authority figures every chance he gets.

Someone who wants Burress will try to look at each of these situations in a bubble and argue them, but IMHO, when you look at the collection as a whole, you find an individual who simply has no respect for authority, and in a team sport, that is simply not a good thing.

I live in a state where gun-carrying people are everywhere so I really don't care that Plax had a gun. I care that he was stupid enough to shoot himself, doesn't show much in the way of common sense. What concerns me the most about Plax is his lousy attitude toward practice and his teammates. Skipping practices for BS reasons, then when he gets suspended he runs around bragging about how it's no big deal, he's getting some time off. That kind of an attitude with our young WRs worries me.

Well presented nfo...

I've kind of moved on. I figured that realistically, he's not in our plans this season at least. Now, even if next were an option, I'm not sure I want him. I would like to see how our youngsters perform w/ a bonafide QB at the helm. Maybe we'll all be pleasantly surprised. Or, maybe we'll all be clammoring for Burress!

One thing that bothers the hell out of me is his seemingly total disregard for authority.

I do not want to make a big stink about traffic violations, but did you read about how often he is pulled over for speeding and reckless driving? That in itself is far from a deal breaker, but what bothered me was the way he handled it, by chewing out the officer. He is yelling at the officer, saying crap like, "Do you know who I am" and "I know your bosses and you better let me go if you know what is good for you". That sort of garbage.

Regarding his gun case, he has attorneys telling him the DA is putting up a good offer. His attorneys are trying to get him to take the plea deal, but Plax doesn't care what his attorneys think.

Also remember NYG's recently making Plax a contract offer, which Rosenhause advised him was a good offer and it would be in his best intrest to take, but again, he doesn't care what his agent advises, and not only refuses the offer, but goes to the media and blasts the team saying the offer is pitiful.

That isn't to mention how he has dealt w/ the coaches, blowing off the rules and snubbing the team's authority figures every chance he gets.

Someone who wants Burress will try to look at each of these situations in a bubble and argue them, but IMHO, when you look at the collection as a whole, you find an individual who simply has no respect for authority, and in a team sport, that is simply not a good thing.

My take on the availabilty of Burress is I don't have an opinion at all because right now he is not available. If we are going to speculate about veteran WRs that are available with some baggage Matt Jones and Marvin Harrison can be had right now. Just to name a couple of the many guys that are still available.

Why not take these young WRs we have and play with them. Who did Cutler have last year? Brandon Marshall and Eddie Royal with Tony Schefler at TE. How much experience do those guys have. Green Bay two years ago lined up with Donald Driver, Greg Jennings and James Jones as their WRs. Both Jennings and Jones are very young and now they have added Jordy Nelson. This tells me that you can play with young WRs and compete well. They don't all have to be 1st rounders to become number one WRs. The guy that we have been rumored to have been after Boldin was a 2nd rounder. Berrian who we missed last year was a 3rd rounder. Just think we could've been playing with Berrian,Gage and Hester at WR last year if things had worked out differently. I'd take that over Booker, Lloyd and Hester.

The one thing I liked back when Gary Crowton was the OC is that all the WRs got a chance to shine with Curtis Conway being the veteran and Marcus Robinson,Marty Booker and even Dez "Stone Hands" White getting a chance to play. WRs have always struggled under Turner early in their careers even when we had Ivan Fears and Todd Haley as WR coaches. Lets face it we have to watch how Turner handles this whole situation because this is the best QB prospect he has handled ever and no matter how young the WRs are they need to get on the field now. We all saw Berrian,Bradley and last season Bennett spend significant time not playing early on in their careers. Why? I like our two TE set but it has become too predictable. With Cutler I would love to see at least two 4 WRs sets per half just to put it in the opponents minds. Lets imagine 4 WRs with Forte in the backfield, I think their is a mismatch somewhere on the field. Even 3 WRs with Olsen can do the same thing. Turner just seems to complicate things for young WRs. There was no reason for Earl Bennett learn several positions instead of starting off as a back up at one spot.

I like your take on this issue...

My take on the availabilty of Burress is I don't have an opinion at all because right now he is not available. If we are going to speculate about veteran WRs that are available with some baggage Matt Jones and Marvin Harrison can be had right now. Just to name a couple of the many guys that are still available.

Why not take these young WRs we have and play with them. Who did Cutler have last year? Brandon Marshall and Eddie Royal with Tony Schefler at TE. How much experience do those guys have. Green Bay two years ago lined up with Donald Driver, Greg Jennings and James Jones as their WRs. Both Jennings and Jones are very young and now they have added Jordy Nelson. This tells me that you can play with young WRs and compete well. They don't all have to be 1st rounders to become number one WRs. The guy that we have been rumored to have been after Boldin was a 2nd rounder. Berrian who we missed last year was a 3rd rounder. Just think we could've been playing with Berrian,Gage and Hester at WR last year if things had worked out differently. I'd take that over Booker, Lloyd and Hester.

The one thing I liked back when Gary Crowton was the OC is that all the WRs got a chance to shine with Curtis Conway being the veteran and Marcus Robinson,Marty Booker and even Dez "Stone Hands" White getting a chance to play. WRs have always struggled under Turner early in their careers even when we had Ivan Fears and Todd Haley as WR coaches. Lets face it we have to watch how Turner handles this whole situation because this is the best QB prospect he has handled ever and no matter how young the WRs are they need to get on the field now. We all saw Berrian,Bradley and last season Bennett spend significant time not playing early on in their careers. Why? I like our two TE set but it has become too predictable. With Cutler I would love to see at least two 4 WRs sets per half just to put it in the opponents minds. Lets imagine 4 WRs with Forte in the backfield, I think their is a mismatch somewhere on the field. Even 3 WRs with Olsen can do the same thing. Turner just seems to complicate things for young WRs. There was no reason for Earl Bennett learn several positions instead of starting off as a back up at one spot.

I like your take on this issue...

Mad L you know I try to be a realist about things but I have seen this pattern with Turner and because he is a media darling he seems to get a pass. I believe that he has total control over the offense because Lovie is a defensive guy and if he had known more about offense he would never have hired Terry Shea at first who is nothing more than a QB coach. Right now Turner has arguably the best young RB and QB he has ever coached. This ain't Steve Walsh and Raymont Harris.